Daye´s chanter sound

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Marcelo Muttis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Daye´s chanter sound

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Hi all!

Well, fellows, my question is directed to those who have heard or played many different chanters. So... Does the Daye´s penny chanter is mellower or brighter than wooden chanters? And Does that variable in sound depends on the reed?

Thanks

PS: I would like to receive an answer from Joseph Smith
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

I've played a few chanters and in my opinion the Daye chanter is brighter and does not have the "woody" sound. It is though a very good (and cheap) chanter.
Rob
Uilleann Piper from beyond!!!
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

I played one last night for the 2nd time in my life. IMO, it is very bright sounding and strong in voice.

Daryl
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Re: Daye´s chanter sound

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Marcelo Muttis wrote:Hi all!

Well, fellows, my question is directed to those who have heard or played many different chanters. So... Does the Daye´s penny chanter is mellower or brighter than wooden chanters? And Does that variable in sound depends on the reed?

Thanks

PS: I would like to receive an answer from Joseph Smith
David Daye's chanters seem to me to be brighter in tone, but not really louder than wood chanters. Much of what you hear in terms of tone and volume is the reed.

I have yet to play a Daye chanter that didn't play very nicely, in tune and had a good tone.
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Thanks guys, and thanks Joseph, I really appreciate your experience.
fire-piper

Daye Chanter

Post by fire-piper »

My original chanter was a Daye Ebony, which of course retained the more mellow wood tone. I believe these are still available and are reasonably priced.
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

I didn´t know that David Daye made Ebony pennychanters. wow :-?
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Are Dayes wood chanters step bored the same way as the brass tube construction?
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

I don´t know anything about Daye wood chanters, but I´ve made mine, based on his brass model but insertede in a wooden body instead a delrin or a PVC body.
myrddinemrys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

I asked David about this some time ago. This was his response:
David Daye wrote:I had quality control problems making wood Penny-Chanters so I've suspended making them for the time being. The problem is that wood needs to be re-bored several times as it settles after first being worked. The tools to make all those dozen short cylindrical steps
is prone to shifting angles during re-boring--it's not self-aligning like a tapered reamer, so the Penny-Chanter design is actually trickier to make in wood than the traditional taper.
I am not sure, but I suspect that some of these chanters described do exist. He hasn't put them into production in the past, but I know there are some Daye wood chanters floating around. I know of a piper here in Columbus who has one, but I haven't been able to find out if the bore is a traditional bore, or a "stepped" penny-style bore. The sound of that chanter is very clean, warm and balanced. http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/kells-02.m3u
I think a lot can be said of the player, Brian McCoy, contributing to the sound. The quality of the mp3 above is a little washed compared to the CD, my apologies.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
myrddinemrys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Marcelo Muttis wrote:I don´t know anything about Daye wood chanters, but I´ve made mine, based on his brass model but insertede in a wooden body instead a delrin or a PVC body.
Dude! Show us a picture of that one! I wanted to do something like that, but I didn't have the appropriate tools to bore a piece of wood.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

The Pictures of my Practice set is posted at page 87 of "Pictures of my pipes" thread. I bored the wood with a 7mm diameter drill bit about 40 cm long, then turned the exterior and then enlarged the bore manualy with a wood file ( I don´t know the name in english), till the brass supaglued thing fitted inside, and then I cemented both things with epoxi rosin that, at the same time, filled the little irregularities.

PS: I would do it again man !!! (It´s worthy)
Andreas Leidenfrost

Post by Andreas Leidenfrost »

I myself own a Daye set, just to let you know... very nice. :D
David Daye no longer makes wooden chanters, although he did turn out a few. Luke Niewsma has such a one.
On Daye's website, he says that he is going to start up making wood chanters... and drones! He has also just started to produce flat chanters.
David Daye is really improoving in his workshop.

Andreas
Bíonn dhá insint ar scéal agus dhá leagan déag ar amhrán