Question on Bill Ochs' book...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jason Paul

Question on Bill Ochs' book...

Post by Jason Paul »

The McCullough vs Larsen thread spurred this question.

A couple of days ago I ordered Bill Ochs' book (along with some more whistles :) ). It should be here later this week.

Anyway, is there anything in the book that I may have to re-learn later? Does it teach anything that might lead to a poor or ineffective technique that I may have to break later?

I'm guessing it's a pretty simple book, but I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Jason
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Bill won't lead you astray.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I haven't used that book but I have always heard it spoken of very highly, if that's of any help. Never a negative comment that I can recall.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The Bill Ochs book is excellent.

It does start very simply, but it leads you through a pretty good introduction to ornamentation, and it's got some good tunes.

It's the only tutor I'm aware of that doesn't assume you know at least a little bit of how to read music from the start.

--James
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks all, sounds like I done good. :)

Thanks,
Jason
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I started with it and never had to "unlearn" anything. Good starter, nice range of tunes at various levels and intuitive.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

It starts VERY simply, and in a relatively small book gets you right up into playing full fledged jigs, reels, hornpipes, etc. Bill is a wonderful teacher and a real scholar of Irish trad music. He won't steer you wrong at all.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Bill Och's book is great. And it's easily understood. There are a couple decisions you will have to make for yourself eventually (like pinkie up vs. pinkie down) - but altogether it's a great tutor.

If you are like me, you will end up with a couple tunes among the first dozen you learn that are like a pair of perfectly worn jeans - they always feel good. Imagine if everyone just picked up a whistle and played something like The Quaker's Wife if they were feeling grumpy. You're always 20 seconds away from a smile on your face - or at least an improved attitude. :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I think the Ochs book is an excellent tutor for starting out.

My only wish is that I'd put it aside and started listening to irish musicians sooner. Though I thought it did a good job of showing me the techncial mechanics of rolls, cuts, taps, etc, I found that I really didn't start understanding this more until I started using my ear in a much more concetrated way listening to actual musicians playing actual music, as opposed to a tutor book. But for your first year or two, I think it's an incredible book.

Also, if your goal is to play in sessions, I wouldn't try to learn every tune in the book, like I did. L.E. McCullough's "121 Favorite Irish session tunes" may be better for that once you get some rudimentary mastery of the instrument.