I need some Uilleann help

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rachel

I need some Uilleann help

Post by rachel »

I'm not sure if this is the place that I'm supposed to write a question because I'm new. I am a 23 year old female trying to learn the Uilleann pipes. My problem is, every time I play, it is physically trying because my bag arm gets really tired. I'm not sure if I'm using the wrong technique, or if it's usually harder for females because they don't naturally have as much upper-arm muscle. Or maybe playing the pipes is like that for everyone. So should I just continue the way I'm playing and get used to the constant stress on that arm, or should I adjust my position? :sniffle:
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

First thing that comes to my mind when I read your post was that you may have a leak. Then the possibility of a hard reed joined in.

Without being able to see how you are holding you5r pipes it would be hard for me to comment on it.

Maybe you do need to build up some strngth or get used to the way it is now... but there is no reason why there should be so much arm pressure on the bag that should cause you pain. If you can, have a more experienced piper take a look at your setup and your posture.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

Rachel...ye need to get someone to help ye.What part of the world are ye in?There maybe a club nearby or an experienced piper/s who can help ye get started.I have taught plenty of girls and none of them have had any trouble with the bag.It is certainly tiring at first but this soon passes.Ye only need to have a leak in the bellows/blowpipe or bag and then it becomes difficult and I suspect that is your case maybe.But anyways make contact with another piper ASAP for your own sake.Pipering is not difficult once ye know how. :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

It may be that your chanter reed is either (1) too open or (2) too stiff.

If it is (1), this requires a minor adjustment of the bridle. Before telling you how to adjust the bridle, you have to tell us what type of bridle it is. It might be a band of copper about 2 or 3 mm wide which wraps around the read just under the "V". Alternatively, instead of a copper band, it might be 4 or 5 wraps of copper wire in the same position.

If it is (2), it is probably because you have a reasonably new chanter reed. The reed probably has to be played-in for a little while - couple of weeks, depending on how often you play.

If the reed is too difficult to play, you can always ask your pipemaker to make lighter reeds. The disadvantage of lighter reeds is that they may not be as loud and may not last as long. However, it beats giving yourself a hernia, bruised ribs or a prepetitive stress injury.
PJ
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

I’ve only been playing for a year now so from a beginner to a beginner, I think it’s important that you have someone experienced to make sure that your pipes are playing ok.

The first week I was playing I had the same problems, I was totally beat up after about a half hour of trying to play. I had even convinced myself that there was a problem with the pipes. Maybe it was the reed? The next visit to my instructor confirmed that the pipes were ok, he was awesome, and I sucked.

The first 6months are the hardest because this is when you are really trying to learn coordination between the bag and the bellows. To a more experience player this is sub-conscience. An in-experience player does not use their energy efficiently, which is why you are so tired. I have not become noticeable stronger from playing.

I think it was about two-three months before I was able to play the simplest of tunes. But don’t give up. This instrument needs more females playing it!
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hi rachel, it's nice to meet you!

I haven't got my practice set yet but I was concerned about arm strength and I posted a similar question a few months ago which I will put the link to here:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... th&start=0
The conclusion I came to from the responses I got was that the pipes should not be physically hard to play even if one's arm muscles are not strong. And that someone who knew about these things should be able to help you get set up so that you are comfortable. I think it would be well worth even an overnight trip to see someone who could get you better situated and then you could start having some fun!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Rachel! :D
Have a looksee at your private messages.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Cynth wrote:... but I was concerned about arm strength ...
I don't think arm-strength has too much to do with it. I mean, Joseph Smith has weak girlie arms and he's doing alright. :wink:
PJ
KAD

Post by KAD »

Hi Rachel,

Another female piper! Hurray! I agree with the posts about possible leaks and the toughness of a new chanter reed. The best thing to do is to get yourself to a weeknd workshop as soon as possible, or consult with an experienced piper near you. They'll be able to tell you whether it's an equipment issue. Also, I've found that some makers set their equipment up to take more effort than others.

But a lot of people, not just female pipers, have this experience initially, unless they already play some other kind of bagpipe. I think it's part of the learning curve. When I first started, I had to rest for several minutes between scales. I still take a break between sets, but I can play for much longer now. Don't be afraid to rest as often as you need to. It will save wear and tear on your arms, and you will gradually build up your ability to play.

And don't give up. There are more and more female pipers these days. (Look out, boys!)

Cheers and welcome,
KAD
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Hi Rachel!

Welcome to the sorority of women pipers. :D
Great advice from everyone here...get your reed checked out ASAP and get a new one if it is too hard. That made all the difference for me.

Justine
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

feadogin wrote: Welcome to the sorority of women pipers.
"Sonority", shurely.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

PJ wrote:
I don't think arm-strength has too much to do with it. I mean, Joseph Smith has weak girlie arms and he's doing alright. :wink:
If I were a manly man, I'd kick you caboose... maybe. :lol:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

PJ wrote:
Yeah, I've seen the pictures :lol: . I was thinkin' of rassling him for that cute little dog he has.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

My bag arm and shoulder were also getting tired and sore. I just thought it was the way of things and that I would build up strength and adjust to it. However, I discovered (at the Tionol in Atlanta this past weekend) that my own reed was/is a bit hard and was way too open. David Power did some adjustments and I was shocked at the lack of effort required to get my chanter to play. In the practicing I have done since, my bag arm has not gotten anywhere near as tired or sore. In fact, my chanter plays so easily now that the mere weight of my arm resting on the fully inflated bag is nearly enough to get the reed to sound.

That's a round about way of saying that getting a more experienced piper to try out your chanter may reveal that your reed is the issue, not you or your posture.

What make of chanter/reed do you have?
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

s1m0n wrote:
feadogin wrote: Welcome to the sorority of women pipers.
"Sonority", shurely.
Simon! You just invented the word for a group of women uilleann pipers!

This is a historic moment!