"Boys and Girl from County Clare" opens in U.S.

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

So there is more behind the movie. I had a hunch.

I thought it was disappointing for a lot of reasons but mostly because it had potential to be really good. The core of the plot was ignored for predictable toilet humor and melodrama. It annoys me no end when Hollywood studio execs misjudge the audience's intelligence and ignore the integrity of good writing in order to pander to focus groups and marketing. What's worse is our politicians do the same thing...

stopping before this gets moved to the "politic/controversial" forum.
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Peter Laban wrote:
Kevin L. Rietmann wrote: (for the truth on her look up the first of the RTE program the Unbelievable Truth ;-) ).
he he, i loved the Unbelievable Truth prog they done on Michael Flatley :wink:
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Ptarmigan

Trailers for sale or rent, ba ba boom

Post by Ptarmigan »

If you are wondering what all the fuss is about, you can watch a short movie trailer on the film here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1808645816
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

All things aside, I thought the movie was pretty entertaining. And I love how they used The Rolling Waves, or The Humours of Trim in the beginning, and one time again near the end with the 3 brothers playing together. I love that tune. I thought it was pretty hilarious over all, and got a good laugh off it. If every movie was strict, and "real," they would most likely be boring. Which, would defeat the purpose of making movies, and that is to entertain. But, with everything in life, there's always those perfectionists who have to pick at everything and tear it apart. I think this movie was meant to be fun and enjoyable, not an accurate historical documentary, cause I think it's safe to say it's not.

As for andrea corr, I wish I was only about 10 years older... Haha... :lol:
brianc

Post by brianc »

Peter Laban wrote:A lot of tampering has been done with the original script, even that awful name is there because they thought the yanks wouldn't be able to understand any of the original intention. Who'd go to the great Ceili Wars afterall?
:)

When 'Waking Ned Devine' was playing in the movie houses here, I recall some folks asking about the title, and wondering if it had something to do with a guy named Ned who was always asleep.

:D
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

Just watched this tonight -

A valiant attempt at paddywhackery aimed at cracking the American market - The directing was terrible, the plot was a thinly veiled, unconvincing love story, Andrea Corr is no actress and has but one grimace, the majority of the humor was based on either leprechaun cliche's or un-natural profanity and the dialect coach for Bernard Hill needs a royal kick in the arse-hole!!

SOME good music, but for humour, it is not at the same quantum as Waking Ned Devine
brianc

Post by brianc »

A music-themed movie that I did enjoy, however, is called "Brassed Off".
It's set in the northern part of England, back in the mid 1980s' or so, when the mines were being shut down. The town's competition brass band decides to go ahead with their performances, in spite of the local economic turmoil.

Come to think of it, I wonder if the plot in 'Boys & Girl..' wasn't inspired (or lifted?) from 'Brassed Off'. They've got fairly similar plot lines in them.
Ptarmigan

Post by Ptarmigan »

Thanks Key_of_D
- for - "And I love how they used The Rolling Waves"
- for twas me what chose the tune ':oops:'
- for tis me what is the fat old f*rt playing fiddle at the very start of the movie, in front of the young boys, by the fireside ':oops:'
- which, incidentally was filmed in a wee hoose on the Isle of Man ':o'
- Although, thankfully, Gerry O'Connor played over my scraping for the actual soundtrack - made me look good though '8)'

I've always loved that tune too. ':)'

- my 5 secs of fame - that's it - over............................. :sniffle:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I saw the movie over St. Patrick's Day weekend as part of an Irish film festival. It was OK, but not more than that, I'm afraid...at least in my opinion. More "Sunday Afternoon Movie" fare than anything else. Of course, it suffered by comparison with "Come West Along the Road"...an RTE production featuring archived footage of some of IrTrad's greatest...which came right before it!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Caj

Post by Caj »

leremarkable wrote:...unconvincing love story,...

Unconvincing?? Both the two kids are cute enough that I don't see what's unrealistic about anyone falling for either of 'em.

Also, I'll say it again: the movie is 10 times as funny when you realize the old fiddle players are King Theoden and Chief O'Brien of the Starship Enterprise.

Caj
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Ptarmigan wrote:Thanks Key_of_D
- for - "And I love how they used The Rolling Waves"
- for twas me what chose the tune ':oops:'
- for tis me what is the fat old f*rt playing fiddle at the very start of the movie, in front of the young boys, by the fireside ':oops:'
- which, incidentally was filmed in a wee hoose on the Isle of Man ':o'
- Although, thankfully, Gerry O'Connor played over my scraping for the actual soundtrack - made me look good though '8)'

I've always loved that tune too. ':)'

- my 5 secs of fame - that's it - over............................. :sniffle:
You mean to say, you're the old man playing fiddle in the beginning of that movie? I want proof damnit... hahaha. And you're welcome. Ever since I saw that movie, I fell in love with The Rolling Waves. Just, I don't know... One of those tunes that really grabs me ya know.

Well, if that's you, then, I've seen you.. and well, you haven't seen me... so, there. :D But, nice choice of tunes there. :wink:
Ptarmigan

Post by Ptarmigan »

Aye, but you must remember Key_of_D that they can do so much with make up & digital enhancement these days, so what you see on the screen is a fat old man, but in reality I actually look like a young Paul Newman - on a good day - so my real identity is safe enough! :o :boggle: :lol:

I can easily understand why anyone would fall in love with a tune that Gerry O'Connor played, he is a master musician with a wonderful way with a phrase & a delightful touch with the bow!

If only I could play that well ..........................................
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Gerry O'Connor, Paddy Moloney, Sean Potts, Mary Bergin, who cares, I still love the tune. :)
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I learned "rolling Wave" because of that movie. Didn't recognize the tune- now I hear it on a buch of CDs that I have.
Ptarmigan

Post by Ptarmigan »

Ah Ha, fel bautista got in there first.
They already had it on loads of CDs but hadn't actually noticed the tune & yet it leapt out at them when they heard Gerry play it for the Film! My point exactly :thumbsup:

See what I mean Key_of_D ':-?'

Who plays the tune, can actually have a profound effect.

Just think of Joe Cooley's LP, or Mary Bergin's first solo LP, etc etc
Some players have a magical touch which, when you hear them playing, just hits home & can make a huge impression.

You can hear that same tune played by a hundred Joe Bloggs players (sorry Joe) & it does not register at all, not until you hear a magic version.

A tune is not a tune until someone is playing it. It 'does' make a difference if it is the right someone! :)