Those pesky kids ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Those pesky kids ...

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I buy peanuts in one pound plastic jars with red lids. I buy them three or four jars at a time and put them in the pantry. Eventually, I notice that there are two or three partially empty jars, and I consolodate the contents into one jar.

Yesterday as I was doing that, I found a jar about 1/3 full, with a label that had been made by the children. Bright colors scribbled on paper and taped on, obviously done by the four and/or five year old. So I poured the peanuts in with the rest in the jar I was filling, pulled the label off and tossed the empty jar into the recycling bin.

Later, I went to the pantry for a handful of peanuts to nibble on. I bit down, heard a sharp snap and felt something hard and smooth in my mouth. Oh, no! A broken tooth? Feeling around with my tongue, the piece seemed too big to be a piece of tooth. I spat out the nuts and found ...

an uncooked dry navy bean.

Retrieving the peanut jar, I found that the top layer of nuts was about half peanuts and half navy beans.

It seems, the children had made a musical instrument.

Best wishes,
Jerry
emmline

Post by emmline »

caveat eater.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Those pesky kids ...

Post by Martin Milner »

Jerry Freeman wrote:I buy peanuts in one pound plastic jars with red lids. I buy them three or four jars at a time and put them in the pantry. Eventually, I notice that there are two or three partially empty jars, and I consolodate the contents into one jar.

Yesterday as I was doing that, I found a jar about 1/3 full, with a label that had been made by the children. Bright colors scribbled on paper and taped on, obviously done by the four and/or five year old. So I poured the peanuts in with the rest in the jar I was filling, pulled the label off and tossed the empty jar into the recycling bin.

Later, I went to the pantry for a handful of peanuts to nibble on. I bit down, heard a sharp snap and felt something hard and smooth in my mouth. Oh, no! A broken tooth? Feeling around with my tongue, the piece seemed too big to be a piece of tooth. I spat out the nuts and found ...

Retrieving the peanut jar, I found that the top layer of nuts was about half peanuts and half navy beans.

Best wishes,
Jerry
I've heard of Navy Seals, what are Navy Beans?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Jack

Post by Jack »

Martin Milner wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:I buy peanuts in one pound plastic jars with red lids. I buy them three or four jars at a time and put them in the pantry. Eventually, I notice that there are two or three partially empty jars, and I consolodate the contents into one jar.

Best wishes,
Jerry
I've heard of Navy Seals, what are Navy Beans?
My dear Martin, here you may find the identity of what Americans call a "navy bean." You will also see that there is even a bean named after me:

http://www.americanbean.org/BeanVarieties/Home.htm
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Martin Milner wrote: I've heard of Navy Seals, what are Navy Beans?
You may know them as haricot beans.

Then again, you may not. I got this off a website that compares British and US cooking terms.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

In the words of the immortally idiotic Adam Sandler:
  • In lunch lady land
    Your dreams come true!
    Clouds made of carrots and peas,
    Mountains built of shepards pie,
    And rivers made of macaroni and cheese!
    But don't forget to return your trays,
    And try to ignore my gum disease.
    No student can escape the magic of...
    Lunch lady land!!!

Oh oh oh oh oh
    Hoagies and grinders, Hoagies and grinders
    Navy beans, navy beans, navy beans...
    Meatloaf sandwich!
    Sloppy joe slop, sloppy joe
    Sloppy joe slop, sloppy joe uh-hu
Martin, are you familiar with hoagies, grinders, and
sloppy joes, or are those also Americanisms?
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Navy Beans I know. We call them "Baked Beans". My wife has been at me for years for calling them Navy Beans. I should send her over there at you.
Hoagies I know. There was a character in "Day of the Tentacle" called "Hoagie". I think he started out with a hoagie in his hand. (And there was Hoagy Carmichael... Did he have anything to do with them?)

Grinders - dunno.
Sloppy Joes - you have me there.

Faggots and toad-in-the-hole, anyone?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Navy Beans I know. We call them "Baked Beans". My wife has been at me for years for calling them Navy Beans. I should send her over there at you.
Hoagies I know. There was a character in "Day of the Tentacle" called "Hoagie". I think he started out with a hoagie in his hand. (And there was Hoagy Carmichael... Did he have anything to do with them?)

Grinders - dunno.
Sloppy Joes - you have me there.

Faggots and toad-in-the-hole, anyone?
I know and make toad-in-the-hole, but I'm betting faggot means something entirely different in the U.S.

As for grinder -- same as hoagie, same as submarine sandwich, same as poor boy -- they all mean a big-ass sandwich on a roll or bun.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Fitzgerald

Post by Fitzgerald »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Faggots and toad-in-the-hole, anyone?
Cigarettes?? Remember watching a television show where someone asked if they had a fag. Person passed them a cigarette. Does faggot still mean that or is it just a stick?

Did I win anything with that guess?
Marc
_____
leigheas na póite a hól arís
Colin

Post by Colin »

Fitzgerald wrote: Cigarettes?? Remember watching a television show where someone asked if they had a fag. Person passed them a cigarette. Does faggot still mean that or is it just a stick?
Did I win anything with that guess?
I recollect an incident that occurred on my first trip to the States (which
of course involved purchasing duty free stuff on the plane).
Someone asked me for a cigarette and I said sorry, I don't have any,
however I said I had 200 fags in my bedroom - much to the amusement
of the gathered company. I of course, in my British-English ignorance,
had no idea what they were all laughing about.
D4rksh0gun

Post by D4rksh0gun »

i should do that to my da at some point in time...
I reject your reality and subsitute my own!

i think the best way to kill someone is a whistle to the face in a bar fight! and i dont even DRINK!

BTW, Rehab is for QUITTERS!