Less Expensive Wooden Flutes, with slides

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Less Expensive Wooden Flutes, with slides

Post by eedbjp »

I'm getting ready to buy a flute in the $600 range. I noticed 2 in that range with a tuning slide. The M and E wood and Phil Bleazy's flute. I had a great experience with the M and E polymer in terms of it's ease of playability years ago, with its small tone holes. It just barely cut it at the session though in terms of volume. Is the wood model any different? Also, I've done some research on the Bleazy. Again, a great price. It looks similiar to the M and E. But I've read some posts that the sound doesn't carry. Any thoughts on these 2 flutes in regards to session volume and their overall quality. Are there any others in this genre I didn't see?
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

My impression is that Bleazeys are inconsistent, and have very small holes (and very small volume). You'd be better of with the M+E, IMO. Some of the most consistent flutes anywhere, I'd say.

Also, unless you're just dead-set on wood, a Seery would do well for your session volume.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The Bleazey has way smaller holes than an M&E, but it likes to be pushed and has decent volume. The Bleazey has more volume than it should, I was really surprised when I first tried one. Of course I think the M&E can go farther in terms of sound and projection.

Was your M&E the Standard or the R&R model? If it was the standard, the newer Rudall copy has bigger holes (from what I hear). This is fine at a session

Both of these Flutes are not the best looking. The quality on both is not that great, but they both play well. The M&Es usually have some tool marks and rough holes, the Bleazeys sometimes have reamer marks.

I do agree with Congrats, you are probably better with the M&E.

If you want my real thought, forget about the tuning slide and get a Casey Burns All Wood Flute.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I haven't played an M&E wooden flute, nor a Bleazey blackwood, but have owned an M&E Delrin and a Bleazey boxwood. I would put the volume of those two at about equal, but the M&E carries much better, and it's easier to get an Irish-y sound out of it. In blackwood the Bleazey may have a more penetrating, darker sound, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Ask Doc (I assure you he has played both) and check out his Previously Owned Flutes page, he has a Cocobolo M&E and a Mopane Bleazey in stock!: http://www.irishflutestore.com/POFlutes.html

Or: Check with Jon C. you're within his price range, for the pattern of flute of your choice! cochranflutes@gmail.com

The only other maker with wood+slide I know of in that range is Reviol here: http://www.reviol.co.nz/index.html

Happy Hunting! :)

Jordan
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

You may find something here that suits you.
an excerpt from the above link wrote: Flutes without tuning slides can be tuned to some degree with the tenon-socket joint. They are tuned to A-440Hz with the head joint pulled out about 2mm, in order to allow for some sharpening (to about A-445Hz when the flute is warm). I make the tenon about 35mm long to allow for some flattening. A tuning slide is recommended if you expect to play with others on a regular basis.
The flutes in question without slides cost less than 600 bucks.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Sillydill wrote: Or: Check with Jon C. you're within his price range, for the pattern of flute of your choice! cochranflutes@gmail.com
I totally forgot about Jon. His Flutes get rave reviews around here, never played one myself, but I was really close to getting on his waiting list found a different Flute with no wait.

Having played a Hoza F, I would say that Hoza is a good bet also. Of course that is if you can live without a slide.

Of course from what I keep hearing, the Jon C is probably the way to go. The only downside is the 6 month wait.
Henke

Post by Henke »

I don't know if the session you refer to is in fact a power metal ensemble. If you're not playing in a power metal band unamplified, you won't have a problem being heard with an M&E. A M&E flute has mid-sized toneholes and great bark. Maybe you just needed to spend a bit more time with that particular flute? R&R style flutes can be tricky at first.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I'm a bit surprized that you find the Bleasey and M&E to be similar in volume too. In my hands a Bleasey is a sweet fltue somewhat on the quiet side but an M&E can really honk. Some folks find Rudalls to be hard to get the hang of. I cut my teeth on Rudalls so I can't comment on that personally.

The Wooden M&Es are a bit brighter and more comples in tone than the polymers but the differences are subtle.

Jon's flutes are also good bang for the buck. Reviol and Hernon wuold be in your price range too.

Casey BUrns flutes are also among my favorites (as I've said before). YOu could get a slideless model in mopane for about $450.

I've said before that the need for a tuning slide is over-rated in many circumstances.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Just to add my voice to the chorus, the M & E is absolutely fine in a session.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

eedbjp, you're right in Skip Healy's neighborhood, if it were me, I'd first check to see if he happens to have a used 2 Piece flute in stock - the list price on those new is $750., so it might be worth seeing if he happens to have a used one, or even a "blem" of some sort lying around.

Failing that, I'd post an ad here on the flute forum asking if anyone has a used Keyless Copley for sale, as these have plenty of volume, are extremely well made, and play easily. I've seen several go for around $600. used, and they are top quality flutes. Plus, Dave is local (US) and extremely reliable, should you ever need service, or a want key upgrade in the future, as Dave offers the option of swapping out your unkeyed sections for keyed replacements, and you simply pay the upgrade charge and keep the headjoint, etc. To my mind, buying from a flute maker who offers this option is a huge advantage.

Good luck with your search.

Loren
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Wormdiet wrote:Just to add my voice to the chorus, the M & E is absolutely fine in a session.
Agreed, I've heard Wormdiet on his delrin M&E R&R over a large
session without a problem.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

fearfaoin wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:Just to add my voice to the chorus, the M & E is absolutely fine in a session.
Agreed, I've heard Wormdiet on his delrin M&E R&R over a large
session without a problem.
Yes - it makes an EXCELLENT percussion instrument as well!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Wormdiet wrote:Yes - it makes an EXCELLENT percussion instrument as well!
If you plug the holes and fill it with beads you have a shaky-flute-egg thingy...

Back on topic... Mr. Cronnolly and Doc Jones are two upstanding indviduals. The fact that you can get a wooden flute with tuning slide made by the former and sold by the latter should bode well.

But I'm no Colin™.

Cheers,
Aaron

Edit to add that I've met Jon C. in person and played his Pratten and medium-hole Rudall models in delrin and recommend his work. His wooden flutes should come just in range.