Plan 9 From Outer Space

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Plan 9 From Outer Space?

Seen it, hated it.
5%
Seen it, loved it.
40%
Haven't seen it.
55%

Total votes: 42

chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Dale wrote:
Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Are you a B Movie buff, Dale?
Well, not exactly. I'm a sort of a D movie fan. I don't like merely bad movies. I do like TREMENDOUSLY egregiously bad movies.
I wouldn't say that a movie needs to be bad enough to be good -- I think good-bad is a different type from bad-bad, rather than a different degree.
Similar to mamakash above, my criterion for a good-bad movie is whether it would make a good Mystery Science Theater episode. Manos is a classic, but I think my all-time favorite is one of Bert I Gordon's early movies (I want to say the Amazing Colossal Man, but I don't think so). There was absolutely NO dialogue on-camera. Everybody who was talking was shot from the back. At one point Tomservo says something to the effect, Bert I Gordon didn't master syncing the audio track to the lips till his next movie. Every time there was dialogue after (there really wasn't much, not much action either) that I just about lost it laughing my ass off. THAT's a great crappy movie.

I was really bummed when Joel left MST3k. It was never the same after that.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I dind't know it was a real movie. I thought it was just something they made up on Seinfled.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I've seen Plan 9 a dozen times or more. I love it with all my heart. A great double feature is Plan 9 and then Ed Wood. You can't go wrong.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Plan 9 was poor Bela Lugosi's last movie. He died halfway through the filming and rather than reshoot his scenes with a different actor they got some guy to slink around in pseudo-vampire garb with his caped arm draped sinisterly across his face for the rest of the movie.
Vampires or zombies come and go from crypts which look like cardboard boxes from a refrigerator spray painted.
In one scene of an airplane cockpit, the pilot and co-pilot are sitting in front of the door to the cabin which is covered by what looks like a plastic shower curtain. They are supposedly flying the plane, but they have no control stick or yoke..
You HAVE to love a movie that bad!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

chas wrote:Similar to mamakash above, my criterion for a good-bad movie is whether it would make a good Mystery Science Theater episode.
Yes, absolutely; another good one is whether Joe Bob Briggs reviewed it.

:wink:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Plan 9 is in the public domain and is available in its entirety at

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9656489183

Dale
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Google might ought to double check. There were issues with its copyright status, why Internet Archive took it down from their site.
Reasonable person
Walden
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

chas wrote:I think my all-time favorite is one of Bert I Gordon's early movies (I want to say the Amazing Colossal Man, but I don't think so). There was absolutely NO dialogue on-camera. Everybody who was talking was shot from the back.
Bert I Gordon movie . . . shot from the back? Hmm. I'm not too sure on that one. You know, he did make "The Magic Sword" which was Mystied, but was pretty decent to watch. There are a couple movies I can think of that have very little dialogue but are mostly narrated. "Attack of the the eye creatures"(yes, that IS the title that appears on the title screen) was Bill Rebane's oily, lurid, smoldering pile of dog doo. Bill has worked in the medium of crap for other films . . . he obviously takes pride in it. I remember there being a lot of narration along with distrurbing images of big haired girls, sexual innuendos, a farmer who shoots smoothers on sight and a male character who sleeps in a dress.
The other film I'm thinking of was "The Creeping Terror", a movie simply so boring and poorly written it simply can not be watched. The Mystie Treatment does not soften the blow. This ENTIRE movie is narrated. It may as well have been a silent movie. In a crash landing, these weird carpet covered monsters come to earth and eat humans. The actors basically crawl into the monsters and scream. At one point they eat some rotund old guy whose grandson has wandered off. Anyway, the grandpa keeps barking out "Bobby? Bobby?" Besides that, the actors don't have lines. I guess the film makers couldn't get actors who could commit a script to memory.

I like to go onto the Internet Movie Database and pull up movie reviews on the worst movies I've seen. I like to see how people rate and review them. I get a good laugh.

http://www.imdb.com
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Dale wrote: I do like TREMENDOUSLY egregiously bad movies.
Then you're going to have to just suck it up and go see "Snakes on a Plane," which I think has the potential to be "Plan 9 of the New Millenium."
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

My sister saw a movie she didn't recommend called, "Devil Dogs from Hell." She said the video store guy kept it behind the counter and you had to request it. I think she saw someone returning it. Whatever. So, of course, I asked the store guy about the movie. He concurred with my sister that it was really terrible and didn't recommend I rent it. And, yes, he kept it behind the counter. I never bothered to watch it. Anyone seen it?
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Dale wrote:
Well, not exactly. I'm a sort of a D movie fan. I don't like merely bad movies. I do like TREMENDOUSLY egregiously bad movies.

Dale
Dale, have you seen "The Cars That Ate Paris"? This was one of Oz' many contributions in the key of D - I believe some of the actors went on to participate in another D-grader called "Mad Max". In my opinion Mad Max was the inferior - it didn't have a spike-infested Volkswagon going around skewering people.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

gonzo914 wrote:
Dale wrote: I do like TREMENDOUSLY egregiously bad movies.
Then you're going to have to just suck it up and go see "Snakes on a Plane," which I think has the potential to be "Plan 9 of the New Millenium."
No, I can't. It has snakes in it. And planes. And Samuel L. Jackson, who I used to like until he started appearing in 38% of all movies.

Dale
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Mitch wrote:
Dale wrote:

Dale
Dale, have you seen "The Cars That Ate Paris"? This was one of Oz' many contributions in the key of D - I believe some of the actors went on to participate in another D-grader called "Mad Max". In my opinion Mad Max was the inferior - it didn't have a spike-infested Volkswagon going around skewering people.
Yep, The Cars that Ate Paris was a watchable film. There ought to be a word that means to watch it with a huge, disbelieving grin.
And yes, Mad Max was pretty poor. Mad Max 2 on the other hand was a load of fun.
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

How about another category - "Never heard of it"
2 Blessed 2B Stressed