Questions for Ebay users

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm putting a bunch of stuff up on ebay today (much of it whistle related) and I got curious about a couple of things:

1) How many of you have bought or sold using Ebay's credit card and E-check payment system, as opposed to Paypal? I believe I'm signed up with Billpoint to use and accept payments this way but I'm wondering if that would actually be any benefit to buyers - seems like everyone is still using Paypal.

I'm also wondering if any sellers have feeback regarding their experiences accepting payments through billpoint/Ebay?

2) This question is primarily for buyers: Do you ever use the "Buy It Now" option when it's available on auctions? I just got to the point where I have enough feedback to offer this option, and I'm wondering if people find it useful when shopping, or not?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Loren
P.S. I've already got some non-whistle stuff up on ebay, and one whistle related item, which you can view here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =900287853 More to come later today. The majority of the items will be on the very short 3 day auction.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I have sold some stuff but I mostly buy, unfortunately.

I have never used ebay's systems, only paypal. I have also bought from several people who specifically request buyers to NOT use ebay's checkout and the like. My impressions is that Ebay takes an extra cut or something.

If you're already signed up, I would offer both billpoint and paypal as options.

I do use the Buy it Now option. A nice thing that ebay just implemented recently (after talking about it for a year or so) is that the buy it now price shows up on the search results page, when applicable.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
drdagmar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by drdagmar »

Hi Loren,
I can´t tell you anything about the payment as I´m living in Germany where neither paypal nor billpoint are wellknown.
But I do use the buy it now option if I am really dying to buy the thing, most of these are getting more expensive when you do it the regular way and you can´t be sure to get it at all.
All the best, Dagmar
earthmom

Post by earthmom »

I buy way too much on ebay and don't use any of the payment or checkout systems offered. I prefer to have some direct email contact with the seller and have had real good luck using that method.

As far as the buy-it-now option, I like it a lot. I'm not above getting up in the middle of the night to place that last minute bid on something, but if there's an alternative, I'll probably take it. I know other buyers who use buy-it-now almost exclusively.
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Hi Loren,
I have used paypal a couple of times with US ebay and it had worked fine for me but in other threads there was a warning about it. And yes, we use "Buy it now" heavily and especially when it comes close to christmas :smile:
Good luck!!!
Brigitte

BTW The Ralph Cook Video I would imagine is hard to get now and I have heard good things about it when Ralph was still making and posting on the old old message boards

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Goldie on 2002-08-16 17:05 ]</font>
curioso

Post by curioso »

I've mostly used paypal on Ebay since more people offer that option, but I have used both billpoint and the "buy it now" option a few times. Paypal seemed more user friendly.

I tend to use the buyer option when I'm desperate to have something, or feel the "buy it now" price is a better price than the probable auction results. Or sometimes if there's little difference between the opening bid and the "buy it now" price, I may pay a little more for instant gratification and to avoid competition.
Elkcreek

Post by Elkcreek »

Loren,
I buy and sell on eBay. Offering the credit card system will help increase sales. The only time I use the buy-it-now to make a purchase is when it is a good deal or a unique item.
The bottom line though is the more options given on ways to purchase an item the greater the odds are that it will sell.
Good luck with eBay

John
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

I thought I'd read somewhere that Ebay had acquired paypal, and that soon, billpoint would go away, and there would be only paypal.

As for 'buy it now' as a seller, I've sold maybe 90% of my goods on buy it now. I usually determine what I think the item will go for at auction (partially by scanning other similar auctions), and then set the buy it now price to like $5 or $10 less. The implied message being "you can get a price break if you save the hassle of waiting for the auction to close".
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

I bought my very first Feadóg using Buy it Now. It was the whistle, a booklet and a CD for $10 which I thought was very reasonable. Most other people were selling this package for 14.99, so I snagged it up.

I do shop around. And I have been irreversibly hooked ever since.

Kim
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

The implied message being "you can get a price break if you save the hassle of waiting for the auction to close".
The message in my case was received! This was exactly why I did the Buy it Now deal.

Kim
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
24BRIX

Post by 24BRIX »

I've paid using ebay's payment system and checkout once. It went very smoothly. I received my item very fast because the seller didn't have to wait for the funds by mail. I think it's a nice option for those who aren't signed up for Paypal. I would use it again.

I only use the "buy it now" option if I really want the item bad AND the price is't over what would be my max bid.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

My daughter sold some stuff and accepted a Billpoint payment that turned into a nightmare. (Long story - Billpoint's fault, actually). If you have a problem, either as a buyer or a seller, there's no way to contact anybody. You can send emails but they force you to choose subjects, problems, or whatever you want to call it when sending them an email, and sometimes those pre-chosen subjects don't fit the problem. It took us literally weeks to try and correct the problem. Fortunately we had an extremely friendly and helpful buyer or we'd have been in a real mess. We finally wound up canceling (or attempting to cancel) the Billpoint payment and having the buyer simply mail us a check - then weeks later suddenly the Billpoint payment went through and we had to refund the buyer via check! We'd never use it again. :mad:
Susan
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Out of maybe a dozen or so Items I bought on Ebay, I have used paypal and money orders. These seem to work best for both buyer and seller. I've never used their checkout systems other than to acknowledge the sale and send the seller my info (address, email, preferred pay and shipping methods, etc.).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-08-16 17:25 ]</font>
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

I've used eBay quite a bit as a buyer and, recently as a seller. I have used PayPal a lot on both ends. I'm signed up for "eBay payments" (the new name for Billpoint -- apparently their reputation was so bad they had to change the name) but have never actually used it either way.
<p>I've sold about a dozen things over the past several weeks and so far every single buyer has chosen to pay by PayPal rather than eBay Payments or money order.
<p>I've used "buy it now" exactly one time, for a relatively small purchase of an unusual item.
<p>In all I've been reasonably satisfied with the prices I've obtained on things I've sold, with some going for less than I expected and others going for more. Everything I have listed so far has sold on the first try. I have only put a reserve on a couple of items (a guitar and a very expensive effect pedal).
<p>
HTH,
John
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses! Ebay is obviously making on all of us!!!

So, sounds like Buy It Now, gets a thumbs up, while Ebay's payent system (the system previously know as Billpoint) get's a big thumbs down....Guess I stick with Paypal then.

I've got one more ITM item up now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =900311753 and more to follow.

John, since you mentioned guitars, I'll have a like new condition limited edition Martin Acoustic Guitar up for sale on on Ebay shortly....

Thanks again everyone, I'll post another message when I've got everything listed, or you can simply check my other auctions from one of the previous links.

Cheers,

Loren