Plan 9 From Outer Space

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Plan 9 From Outer Space?

Seen it, hated it.
5%
Seen it, loved it.
40%
Haven't seen it.
55%

Total votes: 42

Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Plan 9 From Outer Space

Post by Dale »

I need this data!
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

There is a movie made in the spirit of the 1950s SF gnere called "the lost skeleton of cadavra" made a few years ago. Really good spoof.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Loved plan 9, but my fave is "From hell it came"!
http://www.jabootu.com/fhic.htm

Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Loved it because it was so very, very bad... we have the 'ultimate' collection of 'classic' Si-Fi - something like 90, mostly low budget movies from the past that match Plan 9 quite well. :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

anniemcu wrote:Loved it because it was so very, very bad... we have the 'ultimate' collection of 'classic' Si-Fi - something like 90, mostly low budget movies from the past that match Plan 9 quite well. :lol:
http://tinyurl.com/njcjr
Reasonable person
Walden
djm

Post by djm »

I'm afraid I'm the opposite. I know there are a lot of people who revel in the absolute cheesiness of very badly made films from the 1950s-60s, but personally I can't get into it. The more the film makers believe in their subject and try to make it real on film, the better I tend to like it. That is why I would choose something like Star Wars (as dopey as it was) over the Star Trek tv series. SW was made to look real.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Dominic Allan

Post by Dominic Allan »

Fallen asleep to it twice.
Have seen and enjoyed Ed Wood twice.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Dale, there just weren't enough options in the poll.

I checked "hated it," but, on retrospect, it's given me many laughs over the years, and I still do the alien chest-slapping salute.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Are you a B Movie buff, Dale?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Are you a B Movie buff, Dale?
Well, not exactly. I'm a sort of a D movie fan. I don't like merely bad movies. I do like TREMENDOUSLY egregiously bad movies.

Dale
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Once upon a time I won a competition for which the prize was ten DVDs of famous Science Fiction Films. There was one hiccup that the DVD of Blade Runner was out of stock so they let me have my choice as an alternative (I chose "Closely Observed Trains" and got "Galaxy Quest" off my own bat.) I already had Blade Runner on Video.
It introduced me to the 1953 version of "War of the Worlds" which was pathetic. I got to have a copy of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" which is pretty good, and stands the test of time. I saw K-PAX for the first time, which I would recommend to anyone - even non-science-fiction lovers. "Solaris" was very strange. I've since read the book, and yes, the book is very strange too. I think "Solaris" failed because the music was too irritating. Some of the choices were just hokum. I haven't even bothered to watch "The Matrix" over again. I did review "Terminator" and was interested to see Michael Beihn - the same actor who played Corporal Hicks in Aliens. He is one of those "second string" actors who I think are really better professionals than the first-string actors. And Sigourney Weaver in "Galaxy Quest" was just brilliant. Anyone who ever blinked at anything in Star Trek should love Galaxy Quest. And I got to show my son "2001" which was a real education for him. Oddly enough it explained a lot of jokes which he's seen in films since - including the "Monolith" take-off scene in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". But he's stolen the Star Wars DVDs and they are somewhere in the chaos of his room.
But sadly I've never seen "Plan 9". I've seen clips of it, which I can't remember, and I've read the review in Halliwell - he thought it was rubbish, but then he was reviewing strictly in terms of what would get a good family audience on TV. I think his brief would be a bit more complicated nowadays: there's lots of scope for cult films.

So tell us, please Dale. Why do you want to know?
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
So tell us, please Dale. Why do you want to know?
I suppose that after keeping the daughters in the style they are accustomed to, and then financing the Chiff, that he's gotta be careful with his pocket money.

He can borrow my copy of "Delicatessen" any time he likes.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

dubhlinn wrote: He can borrow my copy of "Delicatessen" any time he likes.
OH! I loved delicatessen!

"Aurore... AURORE..."
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I can only deal with brief clips of really cheesy movies. Any more, and I think I could be practicing whistle or something. I'd recommend a couple of fun sci-fi movies: 'Earth Girls are Easy' with Gina Davis and Jim Carey. Also, 'The Brother from Another Planet,' which also has a small part with Jim Carey. And, of course, the classic, Repo-Man.

I got tired of Battlestar Galactica after a couple of episodes back in the '70's because of the focus on dumb characters. I vaguely remember a kid with a mechanical dog. However, I totally recommend the remade series with Edward Olmos as the commander. Great stuff! The first 2 seasons are available on dvd. Start with the pilot film. The music background is interesting. Some cool drumming during the space battle scenes, kind of like Taiko. I even heard some whistle/uilleann pipe stuff during a weepy scene.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Plan 9 was voted "the worst film ever" and got a golden turkey, or something like that. Yes, it's bad. Ed Wood spliced footage he had shot of Bela Legosi (for a movie called "the Ghoul Goes West") with sound stage scenes. The weird jump between daylight and nighttime, the badly designed sets, the awful dialogue, and the garbled message behind this film. His other films are passable(well, with the exception of Glen or Glenda) but this one . . . ugh.
My dad claimed to have seen it as a kid. I guess there were no movie reviews. He said it was the worst film he saw. Everyone in the theater was yelling and booing and throwing stuff at the screen in protest. Theaters had balconies back then . . . so you got a clear shot. He claims a Milk Dud has the right size and weight to cause a whistle as it shoots through the air. I don't know if my dad(as a kid) threw those milk duds . . . but I suspect he did. It might have not even been his first time.

There are plenty of bad movies . . . but you have to see the right one. And if you can see the MST3K verson, you'll be safer. Check out these.

"Manos the Hand of Fate" - yes, this is the worst film ever made. Trust me, several thousand Mysties can't be wrong.
"Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" - joy has left mars . . . and only Santa can restore it. Check out Pia Sadora! And if that's not enough for you, get an extra dose of nausea with the mexican film "Santa Claus". Lots of nightmare fuel and weird theology.
"Teenagers from Outer Space" - really old teenagers from outer space. TOHTCHA!

And if you ever get to see any MST3K short, please watch "Mr. B Natural". Woman dresses up as man, aka the Spirit of Music. Pops into the bedroom of Bud, an unpopular middle age school kid. There, Mr. B Natural(dressed in tights and sporting a Peter Pan outfit) convinces Bud to take up the trombone and let the spirit of music in. Yep, Bud takes up the trombone and get friends(I'm not buying this whole 'band is cool' line), plays "Flight of the Bumblebee" in one of his preformances(on the trombone . . . Flight of the Bumblebee). The 15 minute short was used as an advertisement for band instruments in schools during the fifties. It must have backfired miserably.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon