Drone reeds w/ Brass tongues......

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Doogie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Drone reeds w/ Brass tongues......

Post by Doogie »

I made up some brass drone reeds with brass tongues lastnight. I'm surprised at how good these reeds work compared to styrene tongues. Do any of you guys/gals use drone reeds with brass tongues? How do you like them or don't like them? :boggle:
Marcelo Muttis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Brass tongues

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Hi doogie, Would you mind to tell me how did you made them?
I imagine that you forged them, but jus tell me in three steps the whole process, ´cause I wanna make some for my smallpipes.
Thanks
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
Doogie

Re: Brass tongues

Post by Doogie »

Marcelo Muttis wrote:Hi doogie, Would you mind to tell me how did you made them?
I imagine that you forged them, but jus tell me in three steps the whole process, ´cause I wanna make some for my smallpipes.
Thanks

Hey Marcelo, wild looking brass chanter on your website.

I got the idea from http://www.songsea.com/syndronestopvalveplans.html
but didn't use a tuning slide so I made the body a little longer. I used .10 brass tongue. I tried .16, and .12 first and they were too stought... Seth
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

I´ll send you a pic of my UP practice set then.
Thanks
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

Sound's good, post it on the forum
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Drone reeds w/ Brass tongues......

Post by liestman »

Doogie wrote:I made up some brass drone reeds with brass tongues lastnight. I'm surprised at how good these reeds work compared to styrene tongues.
When you say how good they work, do you mean they sound better or are more stable or ??? I have heard these in lots of types of pipes (NSP, SSP, uilleann) but the ones I have heard have always been a bit too loud and, well, clangy sounding, if that makes sense, and they were the same stability (i.e. very stable) as styrene.

Just curious about the specifics of them compared to the styrene reeds you have made before.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
Doogie

Re: Drone reeds w/ Brass tongues......

Post by Doogie »

liestman wrote:
Doogie wrote:I made up some brass drone reeds with brass tongues lastnight. I'm surprised at how good these reeds work compared to styrene tongues.
When you say how good they work, do you mean they sound better or are more stable or ??? I have heard these in lots of types of pipes (NSP, SSP, uilleann) but the ones I have heard have always been a bit too loud and, well, clangy sounding, if that makes sense, and they were the same stability (i.e. very stable) as styrene.

Just curious about the specifics of them compared to the styrene reeds you have made before.
It's the first time I've ever used brass tongues on a drone reed. Not to say they are any better than styrene. I was just impressed at how good they work being metal and all. They seem very stable in both octaves and don't seem to clap shut like styrene tongues sometimes do. IMHO when you arch the tongue the metal holds its curve better and stays that way. I do have a set of brass tongue smallpipe reeds made by some guy in Tyler Texas and found those to be as you described. Seth
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Doogie, my D Pracitce set si posted at "Pictures of your pipes" thread
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I had a styrene tongue on a cane body that I eventually bent. I replaced it with a phosphore bronze tongue. It has worked ok for the last 6 months or so.

This is on a bass drone btw

t
WireHarp

Post by WireHarp »

Doogie,

How did you attach the tongues? I have toyed with the idea of using brass, but recall reading that they tend to tear up O-rings.

Robert Mouland
www.wireharp.com
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

hmm, should try it sometime . . . :) Right now I'm in the middle of a recording project, so I don't have time to fiddle around with pipe innards.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

tommykleen wrote:I had a styrene tongue on a cane body that I eventually bent. I replaced it with a phosphore bronze tongue. It has worked ok for the last 6 months or so.

t
Tom- how thick was the brass tongue?? I have a spare "dead" bass reed I could experiment with
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

WireHarp wrote:Doogie,

How did you attach the tongues? I have toyed with the idea of using brass, but recall reading that they tend to tear up O-rings.

Robert Mouland
www.wireharp.com

I use dental rubberbands as a bridle, and attach the tongue with waxed hemp.. 8)
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

Another good way is to use shrink wrap tubing from Radio Shack.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

fel bautista wrote:
tommykleen wrote:I had a styrene tongue on a cane body that I eventually bent. I replaced it with a phosphore bronze tongue. It has worked ok for the last 6 months or so.

t
Tom- how thick was the brass tongue?? I have a spare "dead" bass reed I could experiment with
I got the bronze in quantity (for making reg reeds) from David Quinn some years ago. I cannot recall the gauge of the bronze, as I am not good with numbers (my mother was frightened by an abacus while carrying me).

t