O'Brien Whistle, A masterpiece for serious players...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

blackhawk wrote:Spain? No, you were on the right track in thinking Hispanic, but evidently didn't look far enough. It's in New Mexico:
http://www.artesiachamber.com/
Cooool link blackhawk! Bet it's warmer there than over here at the moment! :party:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

GaryKelly wrote:
blackhawk wrote:Spain? No, you were on the right track in thinking Hispanic, but evidently didn't look far enough. It's in New Mexico:
http://www.artesiachamber.com/
Cooool link blackhawk! Bet it's warmer there than over here at the moment! :party:
Probably so, Gary. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

We have artesian bores here. :D

No, seriously. I'm not raining on the parade; they are devices for getting subterranean water to the surface for irrigation.
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

The word "Artesian" is also used in connection with a particular type of well associated with a certain type of rock formation that causes the water to run out of the well under pressure.

Mr. Anderson, you have missed your calling. You should take up writing poetry, I'm thinking. :D

Well (if you'll excuse the pun), back to the OBrien whistles. :P
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Back to the O'Brien's...I can't agree more that the whistles are a really excellent value for the money. David is also very good to deal with, and I wouldn't think of giving up the 5-piece set I have. Has anyone else noticed, though, that they break down at the very top of the upper register? On my D whislte, not only does the volume increase dramatically when I try to play a high B or C, but I'm often not able to hit those notes at all (especially the C), and when I do, they are very unpleasant sounding. The volume increase is partly attributable to my pushing harder to sound the notes, but it is in complete disproportion to the rest of the whistle, and unlike any other whistle I've played (including cheapies). There may, of course, be something wrong with my whistlehead, so I'm curious about the experience of others.

The B/C problem, along with the very thin nickel plating and the prominent metalic taste the whistles have (perhaps the same problem as the nickel plating problem?) cools my enthusiasm for the whistles quite a bit. Despite these things, however, I still think that the whistles are quite good. The above qualifications aside, I find them exceptionally clear, deep, and stable sounding, and as others have mentioned, not at all unlike some of the better wood whistles in terms of tone (surprisingly nice, actually). Well worth the investment, particularly as a travel set.
regor

Post by regor »

I must say that the D whistle I have is completely stable throught the range, I can push those high C, A, Bs no problems, very pure and stable.
scheky

Post by scheky »

I've never had any problem with David's whistles. Aside from my Copeland D and Low D, I primarily use his whistles for my various keys. They are quite stable over the whole range.

As was mentioned though, his earlier whistles may not be of the same quality as the current batch. He started with a decent whistle (I do own the first one) that needed some work. Over the years, he's constantly improved his whistles.

For the dollar, I think it's one of the best buys out there.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

My C was made a few months ago and is perfectly balanced all the way up to high D.

?
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

scheky wrote:I've never had any problem with David's whistles. Aside from my Copeland D and Low D, I primarily use his whistles for my various keys. They are quite stable over the whole range.

As was mentioned though, his earlier whistles may not be of the same quality as the current batch. He started with a decent whistle (I do own the first one) that needed some work. Over the years, he's constantly improved his whistles.

For the dollar, I think it's one of the best buys out there.
I'm considering grabbing a set of O'Briens. I've played a Copeland brass D for years and years now. How differently would you say the O'Briens play as compared to the Copeland (in terms of air, responsiveness and so on)?
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

canpiper wrote: Has anyone else noticed, though, that they break down at the very top of the upper register? On my D whislte, not only does the volume increase dramatically when I try to play a high B or C, but I'm often not able to hit those notes at all (especially the C), and when I do, they are very unpleasant sounding. The volume increase is partly attributable to my pushing harder to sound the notes, but it is in complete disproportion to the rest of the whistle, and unlike any other whistle I've played (including cheapies). There may, of course, be something wrong with my whistlehead, so I'm curious about the experience of others.
I've had top-end problems with the small windway, but the D, C, and Bb with the open windway will handily hit D, Eb, E, F, and F# with cross fingerings and a distinct lack of tact. About the same as my Mellow Dog.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

What really impressed me was David's willingness to correct any problems...

WTA
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

William T. Anderson wrote:What really impressed me was David's willingness to correct any problems...

WTA
I must agree. He spent quite a bit of time with me (and ate a lot of postage costs) getting me a whistle that is really one of the best, maybe the very best that I own.

--James
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Perhaps I should investigate this further. Thanks everyone.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Oh dear! I . . . I . . . I feel the strangest urge to buy O'Brien whistles . . .
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

Lambchop,

You will not be disapointed. Ask David about the extra keys he does too, he does 8 keys for the tunable head he produces (Bb - F) and a exquisite case to go with! I've got ALL of them and you can read my previous posts to get a feel for how I think of them.
Being a recording artist, quality comes first before cost at all times and I must say that the quality and feel of the O'Brien for me is just perfect and worth the prices of the "high end" whistles. Even when I pick up the whistle, just the weight in my hand screams quality. I just got a Chieftain Messo A and it is without question one of the best whistles I've played but for the higher keys I have the O'Brien's and I have no intention to replace them with anything...

William T. Anderson