Dale: yr C&F main site Dixon review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Ummmm, Dale, I notice that while you have updated your whistle review pages quite a bit, you’ve never got around to updating the Dixon entry. I think your sample must have been a really early model because:

1. Dixon mouthpcs haven’t looked like they do in the pic for a few yrs (they are the same diameter as the barrel, and don’t protrude out)
2. they do not have high breath requirements
3. they don’t have wooden fipples
4. they are not made of glossy, hard Susato type plastic, but of a much softer matte finish plastic.

No criticism intended - yr whole website is a labour of love, but I’m asking because Dixons come up a lot on the board, and if someone then went to your site to check out yr comments, they might get some wrong impressions.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Actually, I very much appreciate this feedback because this is the kind of thing that can easily slip by me. Now, I wonder if anyone would volunteer to do a new review...

Dale
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Ask Kar, currently suffering with Dixon infatuation :wink:
Kar

Post by Kar »

Um...yes, I am suffereing from Dixonmania right now. I would do a Dixon review but I feel like I'm way too of a newbie to qualify. So far, I only know what I like and what I don't like, and I haven't played that many whistles (yet). I'm still unsure as to what "chiff" REALLY is, and I have no idea what a bell note is.

I do like my Dixons, though. They make me happy. That's about my most technical review!
Cees
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Kar,
I've had whistles for over a year now and I really am not sure what chiff is, yet, either! You're not alone. :smile:

But I do think (am reasonably certain) that the bell note is the lowest note you can play on your whistle. For example, on a high D whistle, the bell note (D) is the one you get with all holes covered (not blowing too hard, of course, to pop it into the second octave).
Kar

Post by Kar »

I sort of thought that's what it was, but now I know for sure! Thanks.
Cyfaenad

Post by Cyfaenad »

I guess I will give this a shot,have a question for Kar,since your the one with Dixonmania.:smile:
I read the section on clogging, and tried a few things, with liitle help, Dixons were briefly mentioned, and someone said it wasn't typical for this to happen so soon, ect.If someone could elaborate on that for me.
I just wanted to get more opinions, on what I have read so far if my assessment is right of the situation.
My A clogs up, almost within halfway through a song, even the soap method doesn't help, and the low d note, won't play, without squeeling. As well,as do the other higher notes.I tried all kinds of finger pressure changes, with no effect. The D squeaks right into the next octave even if I blow softly, tried diferent hand position nothing helped.
I thought it might just be me, until I changed fipples, fipple problems?<Br>

I want to order later on down the line the low G..and was wondering how diffrent it is to play then say the A, and how the hole spacing is, for someone with small hands?
thanks Cy
edited for clarity

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cyfaenad on 2002-09-01 08:45 ]</font>
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Only 1 Dixon of mine clogged; that was a C whose fipple was clearly not a good fit with the inner walls of the mouthpc tube. I could see spaces between the fipple and the walls at certain places. I knew it couldn't be right because none of my other Dixons were like this. I told Tony Dixon and he changed it for me. THe replacement C is now one of the best whistles I have.

As for sensitivity, from my few amateurish attempts to make whistles, it seems to me that the lower (longer) the whistle, the wider the diameter (and possibly bigger the holes?) should be if you want volume and strength in the lower notes. Because Dixons go for easy reach and smallish holes in the lower whistles (by keeping the barrel fairly narrow), volume and note strength is sacrificed to some extent, the lower you go. My low G is a bit softer than my A, but still has sufficient volume and backpressure for me. THe low F is much too soft. I don't have a low D so can't comment.
Cyfaenad

Post by Cyfaenad »

Tuaz..
thanks for the reply..I realised I posted this in the wrong place, so I posted a new post by itself, but thanks for the info..
Cy
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have a Dixon high-D (non-tunable) I've had for a few months. I enjoy playing this whistle a great deal.

It has a very pure tone with just a touch of chiff. The second octave is nicely balanced against the first and is not overly shrill.

It doesn't take much air, and has good resistance and a pretty tight voicing. I haven't had much of a clogging problem, though, at least so far.

The flip side is that it is not the fastest-speaking whistle I've played, and until you get used to it, it feels a little "sluggish." Also, the sound is very similar to that of a (good) recorder, which may put some people off from it.

It is a very similar whistle to the new Susato VSB D. The Sustato is a little more responsive, though, and has a little more volume. The Dixon compares very favorably to the Susato though in that its sound doesn't have as much of an "edge," and its highest notes are a little rounder and less shrill.

This is the whistle that I recorded in one of my "whistle comparisons", http://www.flutesite.com/samples/morning_3_whistles.mp3 .

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

(Edited by me to fix a typo)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: peeplj on 2002-08-15 10:42 ]</font>
Kar

Post by Kar »

Well, as far as the hole spacing goes, if you can play the Dixon A, you can play the Dixon G. The reach is no problem.

The breath requirements seem to be noticeably more, though. I squeak and squak when I play the G, whereas the A is as smooth as can be. I guess the rumors of the G being somehow not as "right on" as the A or the other Dixons seems to be bearing out true, in my limited experience--but I've only had the G for two days now! I think it's just a little more tempormental, that's all.

And to its credit, the G, being lower, has a richer, more haunting sound--when I can hit the notes right. I would certainly recommend either one without hesitation.
Kar

Post by Kar »

Oh yes, I forgot to address this: no clogging problems at all. I seem to be able to play for longer on my Dixons than on any of my other whistles (Gen Bb, mostly) before the dread clogging sets in.
Kar

Post by Kar »

Oh yes, I forgot to address this: no clogging problems at all. I seem to be able to play for longer on my Dixons than on any of my other whistles (Gen Bb, mostly) before the dread clogging sets in.
Cyfaenad

Post by Cyfaenad »

On 2002-08-15 10:41, peeplj wrote:
I have a Dixon high-D (non-tunable) I've had for a few months. I enjoy playing this whistle a great deal.

It has a very pure tone with just a touch of chiff. The second octave is nicely balanced against the first and is not overly shrill.

It doesn't take much air, and has good resistance and a pretty tight voicing. I haven't had much of a clogging problem, though, at least so far.

though, and has a little more volume. The Dixon compares very favorably to the Susato though in that its sound doesn't have as much of an "edge," and its highest notes are a little rounder and less shrill.

This is the whistle that I recorded in one of my "whistle comparisons", http://www.flutesite.com/samples/morning_3_whistles.mp3 .

peeplj,
Thanks for the reply. As a matter of fact your comparison I have already been to, and thought were quite good. When I was making my mind up about foucsing on just Dixons, I listened to every one I could find, also your comparison. Between searching and listening, its what made my mind up, finally, the consisistency of the Dixons, that everyone seems to agree on.Thanks for the info on the high D.
I appreciate the response.
Cy
edited for clarity

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cyfaenad on 2002-09-01 08:37 ]</font>
Cyfaenad

Post by Cyfaenad »

On 2002-08-15 13:56, Kar wrote:
Well, as far as the hole spacing goes, if you can play the Dixon A, you can play the Dixon G. The reach is no problem.

The breath requirements seem to be noticeably more, though. I squeak and squak when I play the G, whereas the A is as smooth as can be. I guess the rumors of the G being somehow not as "right on" as the A or the other Dixons seems to be bearing out true, in my limited experience--but I've only had the G for two days now! I think it's just a little more tempormental, that's all.

And to its credit, the G, being lower, has a richer, more haunting sound--when I can hit the notes right. I would certainly recommend either one without hesitation.
Thanks Kar,
At last someone addressed the problem at hand. I really appreciate it.Thanks for your answers, they helped allot, to confirm what I felt.
Thanks for the info on the G also, about finger spacing, that if I can reach the holes on my A, I will be able to reach the G good to hear.

Thanks again,I really appreciate your reply.:smile:

Best regards

Cyfaenad
edit for clarity

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cyfaenad on 2002-09-01 08:42 ]</font>