The worst place you ever lived?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

The worst place you ever lived?

Post by flanum »

Dunno, but this being my eighteenth move, i think ive moved to the lowest rung ever!!
Im in a bedsit across the road from Mountjoy prison/mountjoy gardai station, 3 doors from the Mater hospital(dublins most busy skanger/organised crime hit squad eventual ending up place) A&E entrance -north circular road!
Sirens 24/7

Last week when i took a day off work to move house(only barely round the corner) my car decided to sieze a bearing on passenger side front wheel, just as i had packed the car to capacity.
the next few days were a case of jacking up the car trying to figure out what was wrong with it, and trying not to get sacked from work for taking time off! slap bang in the middle of this i started to sneeze and cough and came off with the worst bout of flu ive had in ages!
im still looking at cardboard boxes and binliners in me house and havent got the will to start unpacking!
aaaaaaaarrgh!

Any bad moving stories/houses from hell scenarios? might make me feel better!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

My present house, between about '98 and '02. Lived through no staircase (used a ladder for a couple weeks,) no kitchen (about a year,) no roof (9 rainy months--25 garbage cans to catch the water were not sufficient,) and uncountable sawdust, insulation, and drywall particles.

edit: I hesitated a little to post here--by now we're able to look at what was a hugely misguided do-it-yourself notion and laugh, a little.
It was crazy, but I'm not trying to play win the brownie.
Last edited by emmline on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fitzgerald

Re: The worst place you ever lived?

Post by Fitzgerald »

flanum wrote: Any bad moving stories/houses from hell scenarios? might make me feel better!
Had to spend 2 years of my life in Albany, Georgia. Unfortunately, I can never get that time back.

Oh, you all don't know where Albany is? It's on the left just before you reach the gates of Hades (the Flint river is a feeder to the River Styx).

Fire ants, the "gnat-line", the red clay. Nope, don't miss it at all.
Marc
_____
leigheas na póite a hól arís
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lived in a shabby place poorly kept...moved in on a cold April day and the window in the kitchen STILL hadn't been repaired! I had to staple a rug over the frame to stop the wind and it remained that way until some weeks later. Never mind the ear-splitting late-night hiphop and the occasional domestic disputes (often in public) and people stealing and stockpiling others' laundry -blue jeans, mainly- from the laundromat across the street (the cops knew my apartment complex well), I was right next to Interstate Highway 35W as well as exits to and from it. Three floors up, and the noise was incessant. Whenever a semi would drive by the whole building would pitch and yaw.

Glad I'm shed of it. 'Twas bad vibes.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

I used to live in a shelter for homeless youths in the inner city in Washington, DC.

I liked some of the people there, but I was sexually assaulted and I didn't like living there very much in general.

I was a racial and religious minority, the food was horrible, and the physical demands of living in the building were far too much than I was capable of.

The building was very old and cold, and I had to walk up stairs every day and even then I was too sick to do that very well, and I had to wake up at daybreak and be out in the town all day until around 5:30. I got lost in the city multiple times. My "roommate" was obnoxious and loud and very sexually innappropriate at all times (he worked at McDonalds) and nobody in authority seemed to care.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Not a specific house or apartment, but I'd have to say my stay in Casper, Wyoming. Lived there for 10 years - no wait, it was 10 months - in the late 70s. Out in the middle of nowhere, ugly town, freezing cold, unfriendly people. I suppose the fact that I was going through an extremely rough marriage and divorce didn't help matters, but I don't recall a good day in that hellhole.

Susan
Colin

Post by Colin »

emmline wrote:My present house, between about '98 and '02. Lived through no staircase (used a ladder for a couple weeks,) no kitchen (about a year,) no roof (9 rainy months--25 garbage cans to catch the water were not sufficient,) and uncountable sawdust, insulation, and drywall particles.
(in Yorkshire accent)
Luxury.
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Colin wrote:
emmline wrote:My present house, between about '98 and '02. Lived through no staircase (used a ladder for a couple weeks,) no kitchen (about a year,) no roof (9 rainy months--25 garbage cans to catch the water were not sufficient,) and uncountable sawdust, insulation, and drywall particles.
(in Yorkshire accent)
Luxury.
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
Dang! We finally got our house in pretty good shape. I sure hope your dad quit with the thrashing.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i once lived in a squad, the street was full of travellers, and not many would risk a walk through our streets.
That's the bullring...the best place i ever lived actually :D

Last edited by lixnaw on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Colin

Post by Colin »

emmline wrote:Dang! We finally got our house in pretty good shape. I sure hope your dad quit with the thrashing.
We bought him this really nice Norwegian Blue parrot (beautiful plummage) and only then did he stop thrashing us.
It was so sad though 'cos the bird used to pine for the Fjords.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

A couple of my places in graduate school in Charlottesville, VA.

It's really quite a decent town, but sure has some sh*t. The night I moved down there -- My car had broken down on the way down, so I got there about 1 AM, just as the bars in the area were closing. I was moving my stuff in and heard some shouting out front. There, in the street in front of the house, was a knife fight. When I told my classmates about this, and some other free entertainment, they all thought I was exaggerating. Then one guy was over at my place studying IN THE AFTERNOON and there was some shouting, a knife came out, and the best the other guy could do was break a bottle. My truthfulness went up several notches that day.

In an apartment complex several years later, the guy in the apartment above us was busted for having several grams of crack and a few tens of thousands of dollars in cash in his apartment. He seemed a decent sort. Then a few months later, more shouting outside, the sound of a head cracking against the pavement, and four booms of tires being slashed. This story has a punchline. The guy DROVE AWAY in this car with no tires. This was about 2 AM; an hour or so later, we hear this screech BOOM screech BOOM screech -- it's this guy returning! He'd driven for an hour on four rims. Not only that, there were really severe speed bumps in the parking lot, and the booms were him trashing his exhaust system because he was stupid enough to drive a car with an inch of ground clearance.

The place was unsafe, but very entertaining.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

chas wrote:A couple of my places in graduate school in Charlottesville, VA.

It's really quite a decent town, but sure has some sh*t. The night I moved down there -- My car had broken down on the way down, so I got there about 1 AM, just as the bars in the area were closing. I was moving my stuff in and heard some shouting out front. There, in the street in front of the house, was a knife fight. When I told my classmates about this, and some other free entertainment, they all thought I was exaggerating. Then one guy was over at my place studying IN THE AFTERNOON and there was some shouting, a knife came out, and the best the other guy could do was break a bottle. My truthfulness went up several notches that day.

In an apartment complex several years later, the guy in the apartment above us was busted for having several grams of crack and a few tens of thousands of dollars in cash in his apartment. He seemed a decent sort. Then a few months later, more shouting outside, the sound of a head cracking against the pavement, and four booms of tires being slashed. This story has a punchline. The guy DROVE AWAY in this car with no tires. This was about 2 AM; an hour or so later, we hear this screech BOOM screech BOOM screech -- it's this guy returning! He'd driven for an hour on four rims. Not only that, there were really severe speed bumps in the parking lot, and the booms were him trashing his exhaust system because he was stupid enough to drive a car with an inch of ground clearance.

The place was unsafe, but very entertaining.
Come down to Ireland for a break Charlie, i'll give you some B&B :D

and who spread the music through Ireland, kept the tunes alive??
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I lived in Pontiac, IL for 5 years.

We moved there when I was 10, and coming from the Chicago suburbs, I actually thought it was really cool, at first. I could ride my bike to the movie theater, to the library - there was too much traffic where I had lived before to do that. We lived on the edge of town surrounded (literally) by cornfields, and I do like the country.

But something funny happened while we lived there - I became a teenager. A small town in Central Illinois is pretty much one of the definitions of "hell" for a teenager. The really sad part is, I lived in the "big" town, and all the kids from the really tiny towns around the area came to Pontiac to hang out on Friday and Saturday nights. The "hang out" was the parking lot of K Mart. Pretty much that's what we did. It was pathetic.

Oh, and then there was the fact that Pontiac is the home of one of the State of Illinois' maximum security prisons. It was about 1 mile down the road from where I lived. And the prison farm was down the road the other way. So all the minimum security guys would be driven past my house everyday on their way to work the farm. It was pretty creepy for a young kid. And sometimes, when you were riding your bike past the prison (it was the way to the park) the inmates would yell out the windows at you. And we won't even talk about the time there was the escape.

Funny enough, when my dad got a new job and we were going to move, I didn't want to go. Not that I loved the town so much, I couldn't wait to get out of there. But I was in the middle of high school and I really didn't want to leave my friends. So it was a tough move for me. But then I got moved in up here and once I met some people I realized how truly bad it was in Pontiac.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

It is somewhat lost in the fog of the past, but one of the years in the 1980's I lived in an apartment near the University of Arizona campus in Tucson. Everything looked OK in the apartment, so I signed a year lease and moved in my stuff, which certainly wasn't much compared to all of the junk I now have. I think that it was the first week after I moved in that I began to hear the construction noises. I asked the construction workers what was going on. They told me that the university medical center was building a new parking garage, complete with emergency heliport, right behind the apartment that I had just rented.

The heliport was first to be completed, and immediately, day and night, the helicopters began landing about 300 feet from my apartment. Late at night, you could hear them coming in the distance. The sound would get progressively louder until my whole apartment started to shake as the helicopters neared the landing site. If you remember the photos of the Coast Guard helicopters flying over the flooded homes in New Orleans during Katrina, and many of the shingles being pulled off of the roofs from the updraft of the helicopter blades, my situation wasn't as bad, that's for sure. However, I wanted to wave a piece of white clothing out my bedroom window and be rescued from the situation. Instead, I had to wait until my lease had expired.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

It's very hard to be objective, and I won't go into details, but what was probably by far the worst place I ever lived in was the place I was happiest in. It wasn't the place that was the important thing. :)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!