Did anyone catch Dr Who Friday night, Sci Fi channel(US)?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mamakash »

Charlene wrote:I understand this Doctor is only in for one season, and that the second season episodes currently showing in England have some other actor. I think the business about Time Lords being able to regenerate and look completely different is one of the neatest ways to let a different actor play the same character - much better than just replacing someone (like Darren on the old Bewitched) and not saying anything.
I'm surprised that the turnover of the one actor would be so quick . . .a bit like Colin Baker, hmmm? I liked Colin's doctor but supposedly he was as diffucult tempered as his character, thus the replacement. His run was short and didn't last long enough for me. Too bad they just didn't take the characters in a different direction.

I have no fear of being a geeky nerd and getting a virtual wedgie . . . but I have to point out that they only have thirteen doctors/actors they can cast and then a Timelord's life runs out. Unless they do what the Master did. Didn't he gain more regenerations than the basic thirteen?
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Colin Baker being sacked had nothing to do with the actor's temperament and everything to do with the BBC execs' opinion of the show in general taking a down-turn. Sylvester McCoy, his replacement, only got three seasons before the whole show was cancelled (he'd planned on sticking around for a while, hoping to eventually outlive Tom Baker). It was just the climate at the BBC that was bad. And some rather badly-written scripts doing bad things to the ratings. Colin Baker had a few good ones, like his Dalek episode, but a lot of it was shoddy - The Twin Delimma is just about my least favorite Who episode in existence. I really can't watch it, and I like just about all of the Who episodes I've seen, even the rather silly ones.

That and the clown coat makes me want to claw my eyes out. But yea...

As for Christopher Eccleston, it was planned that he'd only be there for one season from the start. The BBC knew it from day one when they cast him, but the media of course made a big deal about it when they found out and started a bunch of funny rumors over it. David Tennant ought to be around for a bit longer than one season.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

I could probably find the answer on some other site - but how many Doctors have there been?
Charlene
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

David Tennant is the TENTH doctor

1 William Hartnell
2 Patrick Troughton
3 John Pertwee
4 Tom Baker
5 Peter Davison
6 Colin Baker
7 Sylvester McCoy
8 Paul McGann
9 Christopher Ecceleston
10 David Tennant

And I didn't even have to look them up. :P

*is geek*
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Loren wrote: Sci-Fi Channel should re-run The Prisoner, now there's entertainment! :thumbsup:

Loren
Great show. It's on DVD.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

TelegramSam wrote:David Tennant is the TENTH doctor

1 William Hartnell
2 Patrick Troughton
3 John Pertwee
4 Tom Baker
5 Peter Davison
6 Colin Baker
7 Sylvester McCoy
8 Paul McGann
9 Christopher Ecceleston
10 David Tennant

*is geek*
Thank you. I've seen a few of the ones with John Pertwee, really got interested when Tom Baker was the Doctor, and saw most if not all of the Peter Davison episodes, then kind of forgot about it.
Charlene
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

TelegramSam wrote:David Tennant is the TENTH doctor

1 William Hartnell
2 Patrick Troughton
3 John Pertwee
4 Tom Baker
5 Peter Davison
6 Colin Baker
7 Sylvester McCoy
8 Paul McGann
9 Christopher Ecceleston
10 David Tennant

*is geek*
Damn dude, you are a nerd! :D

(I might add that this comment was begat by the angst experienced from being ready to post the same list and finding out you'd beaten me to the punch........damn you! :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Loren wrote: Sci-Fi Channel should re-run The Prisoner, now there's entertainment! :thumbsup:

Loren
Great show. It's on DVD.
DVD, what's that? I just finally got a Betamax player.

Loren
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Loren wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:

Loren
Great show. It's on DVD.
DVD, what's that? I just finally got a Betamax player.

Loren
Dude...Laserdisk is where it's at.

On topic: I've got Dr. Who on DVD. As with all series, some episodes are better than others, but it's left a favorable enough impression that I'm looking forward to the next season.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I suppose all you other Prisoner fans know about this site: http://www.netreach.net/~sixofone/

It would be so neat to go to Portmeirion someday.

Be seeing you!
Charlene