new Grinter design

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Hornpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

new Grinter design

Post by Hornpiper »

So a little bird told me about a new flute that Mike Grinter is coming out with or has already where he's somehow combining a Pratten-type head with a Rudall-ish-type body. Anyone else heard about this or seen/tried it? Sounds groovy.....:)

Ben
Benjamin Thomas Isa Jaber
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

What's the difference between a "Pratten-type head" and "Ruddall-type head"?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

I dunno, Pratten's bigger? Rudall's smaller?

I smell a huge thread coming on........:)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Hornpiper wrote:I dunno, Pratten's bigger? Rudall's smaller?

I smell a huge thread coming on........:)
I smell a wind-up. I think you've been had.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

So sort of a Mercedes with a Jaguar engine then?
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Edited to avoid misunderstandings.

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Didn't Andrew say something about a Pratten-type Grinter he'd played awhile back?

It may have been in this thread:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=28370
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
smoro

Post by smoro »

As far as I know Grinter did a new design changing the foot part of the flute, putting a bit wider bore of that section. It seems to be that McGoldrick was not completely happy with his first Grinter, he could not get the volume that he got form the Lehart, so Michael Grinter made a new flute for him with this new design that made McGoldrick happy.
Serafin.
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

I don't think that Mike would call it a "Pratten" headjoint. I imagine those are someone elses words. I've played a few of his new ones. More "open" & "ballsy" than his previous model. ( That said... Crawford get's a hefty tone our of Mike's original model. ) A bit easier to access initially. Still handles like a Rudall though.
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

I wrote Herr Grinter to find out for myself, and he wrote the following in his reply:

'With regard to your questions..
I am making a new design flute, but it isn't true that it has a Pratten style head and a Rudall type body. The flute is still based on a Rudall and Rose model, but I have made a few modifications and it is stronger and more powerful all over than my other model. However, having said that it still has a lovely tone. You can hear the flute on Mike McGoldrick's new album - "Wired" and this will give you a better idea of the sound of the instrument than trying to descibe it.'

There it is. I'm thinking of ordering one. :)

Ben
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Hornpiper wrote:I wrote Herr Grinter to find out for myself, and he wrote the following in his reply:

I am making a new design flute, but it isn't true that it has a Pratten style head and a Rudall type body. The flute is still based on a Rudall and Rose model, but I have made a few modifications and it is stronger and more powerful all over than my other model. However, having said that it still has a lovely tone. You can hear the flute on Mike McGoldrick's new album - "Wired" and this will give you a better idea of the sound of the instrument than trying to descibe it.'
The sweet smell of a another great Australian woodwind maker, no wind up involved.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Hornpiper wrote:I wrote Herr Grinter to find out for myself, and he wrote the following in his reply:

Ben

What sort of price do you reckon it would be??

Boyd
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Ben

Boyd
boyd

Post by boyd »

Ben

Boyd
Henke

Post by Henke »

Triple posting, nicely done :)