What's for dinner?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
hoofbeats
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What's for dinner?

Post by hoofbeats »

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice, there is."
Jack

Post by Jack »

That's horrible. Squirrels, cows, monkeys, rabbits, chickens, and dogs are not meant to be food!!

(Cats, of course, however, are.)
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Cranberry wrote: (Cats, of course, however, are.)
Reminds me of my grandfather. He used to call my cat "taco meat."
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

One of my dad's favorite jokes is to ask people if they've been to "that new Chinese joint." When the person asks which one, he says, "The Golden Retriever."
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
CHCBrown

Post by CHCBrown »

dog, monkey, rattlesnake, rabbit, squirrel, tongue, grasshopper (raw), grasshopper (cooked), goat, kimchee...but no haggis (yet).

My greatest issue with the Clinton Administration is that it was under his watch that the FDA banned haggis importation. As it happened in the infancy of the web, I had to console myself with a stern letter to the editor of the Albuquerque Tribune.
"Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light ….”
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

CHCBrown wrote:dog, monkey, rattlesnake, rabbit, squirrel, tongue, grasshopper (raw), grasshopper (cooked), goat, kimchee...but no haggis (yet).

My greatest issue with the Clinton Administration is that it was under his watch that the FDA banned haggis importation. As it happened in the infancy of the web, I had to console myself with a stern letter to the editor of the Albuquerque Tribune.
If you haven't had any haggis yet, you might try this stuff -- Caledonian Kitchens Haggis. It's tasty, and a look at the ingredients list (Highland Beef, Hydrated Pin Oats, Water, Refined Beef Suet, Liver, Spices and Onions) shows that the more dubious parts of the sheep have been omitted. Indeed, these's no sheep in it at all, and it beats squirrel hands, or rather, hooves down.

Lamb haggis is scheduled for release this spring, but in deference to Lambchop, I will forgo the opportunity. Or at the very least, I will forgo talking about it.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
CHCBrown

Post by CHCBrown »

There is a Scots lady who works at the bakery of the grocery store near my home in South Carolina who has a haggis "connection" (as she puts it).

Next January, by God, there'll be a Burns supper at my house!
"Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light ….”
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

gonzo914 wrote:
If you haven't had any haggis yet, you might try this stuff -- Caledonian Kitchens Haggis.
They make some excellent haggis. At NTIF they had a food vendor (in addition to their booth) They made a haggis egg that was excellent. Just like a scotch egg but with haggis instead of sausage. Man, mouth watering just thinking about it
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

gonzo914 wrote:If you haven't had any haggis yet, you might try this stuff -- Caledonian Kitchens Haggis. It's tasty . . .
Yes, but what does it taste like? Is there any American product close to it? Or even remotely resembling it?

Sounds a lot like meatloaf, if you ask me. Any resemblance there?

Does the meat part, being canned, come out tasting like other canned meats? Canned corned beef hash? Dinty Moore Beef Stew?

Lamb haggis is scheduled for release this spring, but in deference to Lambchop, I will forgo the opportunity. Or at the very least, I will forgo talking about it.
:wink:
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

British Poussin otherwise called spatchcock!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Lambchop wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:If you haven't had any haggis yet, you might try this stuff -- Caledonian Kitchens Haggis. It's tasty . . .
Yes, but what does it taste like? Is there any American product close to it? Or even remotely resembling it?

Does the meat part, being canned, come out tasting like other canned meats? Canned corned beef hash? Dinty Moore Beef Stew?

The problem I have with canned stuff is they either add sugar or salt.

I have enough inane drivel right here to drive up my post count. :)
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

It taste like beef with a slight liver taste. Not too much as I cannot stand liver. I have heard that the closest american dish taste wise is boudin, but i haven't had enough boudin to really judge.
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Lambchop wrote:

The problem I have with canned stuff is they either add sugar or salt.

I have enough inane drivel right here to drive up my post count. :)
I see. So, are you wondering what I'm doing posting today? And why I'm not in Orlando?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

An old friend, who I haven't seen for years, once offered me some head cheese. Now, what I had ever seen of head cheese was the awful looking stuff at a local deli which looked like strange shaped meat bound by gelatinous goo, so I stammered a bit. But, knowing that my friend was an absolute fusspot about clean and wholesome food, and that he came from a forest settlement in Northern Louisiana of very interesting folks whose heritage was escaped slaves and Indians, I demurred, as everything he had ever cooked was fantastic. Delicious. Looked nothing like the stuff in the deli but rather, like a flat meatloaf in a roasting pan.

Oh yeah, and I had delicious venison steaks for dinner on Saturday. They looked like lamb shoulder chops, were nearly as tender and required no pounding. Best I ever had. My brother-in-law musta got 'im in one shot so the meat was sweet not gamy (it tastes stronger when they run away and pump blood and adrenalin into their tissue, or so the hunters say).

Squirrel meat? Nevairrrr!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Just make sure your haggis is of the "free-range" variety...
you don't want none o' thems whats grown on a farm and fed steroids!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown