Session etiquette question

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Uh huh...didgeribodhrán, I'll bet. Where does it end?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Pentagrams traced in spilled stout, a broken mirror on the back bar, etc., etc., etc.

It's VOODOO SESSION!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Could it be........SATAN?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

That lady is Satan?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Caj

Post by Caj »

Cynth wrote:That lady is Satan?
That lady is Garth!

Caj
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

If there's one thing that gets me falling out with people at our session it's speeding up. Either variety - during a tune or after each playthrough, it's just plain wrong and it says more about the amateurishness and/or the ego of the transgressor than anything else. Sometimes you just start a tune at the "wrong" speed. I ask the others to let me get started and get my tempo in the first three or four bars before they join in. Problem solved. But if everyone barges in right from the start you've got to keep going at the "wrong" speed. A bunch of regulars should be able to sort this out. I'm not going to make myself breathless by going hell for leather and throwing all musicality out of the window - I'd rather sit it out than do that. Don't bother with sessions in which you detect big egos. It's very bad for the music.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Cynth wrote:That lady is Satan?
You've never heard of the Church Lady?
You must have gone to bed early on Saturday nights in the 90's.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: I really hadn't and I guess I did. I looked up Garth that Caj mentioned and and had a little trouble figuring out what the connection was there but now I know that Dana Carvey played both the Church Lady and Garth characters. Thank goodness for Google! I am trying to fill in these gaps in my education. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Lord knows that being hip to the Church Lady is a part of one's "education" here in the U.S. :D
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Wonder what the Church Lady would have to say about "Intelligent Design"?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Ptarmigan

Post by Ptarmigan »

Ah ha, so we've found him or her at last. I knew it was only a matter of time. ':('

Now what we need to do is organise a presentation ceremony, find a trophy & present this clown with the Oscar for 'The Worst Session Leader - ever'! ':moreevil:'

"But there are other wierd practices there." - I'm afraid that's quite weird enough for me - thank you very much. ':boggle:'

I reckon that must rank as one of the most irresponsible ways to conduct a session. ':o'
The way I see it, that is the first basic discipline that learners to ITM strive for, namely the ability to keep a good steady beat throughout the tune, so if this session's leader is incapable of that truly basic function, then it's time they had elections to find a new leader.
The fact that this person appears to also deliberately leave beginners behind in this 'tune race' just shows what a total A. Hole this person is.
In behaving in this pathetic manner in front of learners this person is guilty of a cardinal ITM sin in my book. ':sniffle:'
If you don't have rhythm control at an ITM session, then you have nothing.
Sounds like this person is simply a frustrated Rock & Roll reject & the sooner this session rejects them, the better!

You would be wise to avoid this session like the plague.
Why not take along six or ten Bodhran & Djembe players, all with one mission, to keep a steady pace at the session - & drown the bast&ard out? ':D'
Of course, you could do a George W & go in, & do us all a favour & oust this evil dictator - for the good name of ITM. ':lol:'
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ptarmigan wrote:Why not take along six or ten Bodhran...players, all with one mission, to keep a steady pace at the session...
If only it were so easy. Ours keep dragging everything down. Opposite problem!
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Nanohedron wrote:Image

Could it be........SATAN?
I think so.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Wonder what the Church Lady would have to say about "Intelligent Design"?
[mode="Church Lady"] "Intelligent design is just like a private session; you want to control things to have the best music possible. If people can do it, God can too."[/mode]
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

Jaysus! :swear:
Sessions are about learning to play for dancers. I don't care what anybody else says.
Having just spent a week doing this has made that very apparent to me. Many well respected session players around here couldn't cut it.
Learning to play in rhythm and at a tempo the dancers need is what it’s all about. If you're into grandstanding and 'interpretation' then go play in your kitchen and leave the rest of us to the job.
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy