New Lúnasa album - Se

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
westiechick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Lúnasa album - Se

Post by westiechick »

Hi everyone - I am fairly new to this forum so apologies if you have already discussed this!
I just wondered if anyone has the new Lúnasa album? I am so excited about it, I got it last week and have grown to love it more and more each time I play it! I really thnk it shows their maturity and proves that they have really made a place for their very individual style in ITM.
I hear they are playing in Dublin in the summer - can't wait to see them again, they don't play enough at 'home'

In case anyone is interested I have just been on their web site and their back catalogue of CD's is on special offer (just got another copy of Merry Sisters to replace the one scratched by leaving it in the car - major problem!)

www.lunasa.ie

Also just to have a whinge.....did anyone see the Late Late show on Irish TV last night? Thought it was a very poor effort for Paddy's Day!
WestieChick x
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

It's very nice. I've been enjoying it.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I haven't bought it yet but the band played a lot of the material when I saw them last month and it was all really good. Kevin gave Cillian a good ribbing about the tunes he composed that ended up on the CD so you know he thought they were good (and they were, of course).
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I bought the recording about a month ago . Usually there's always one track on their recordings that just blows my socks off, but it didn't happen on this one. I think I may becoming jaded, or getting old - probably both. Actually, I preferred the Danu recording which I bought at the same time. I'll get back to the Lunasa recording eventually, I suppose, and I'll probably grow to like it, but I'm kind of surprised that my reaction to it was less than enthusiastic.
I'm worried that this cd will take its place alongside of some Cherish The Ladies recordings I have: good people, good tunes, but not something I want to listen to all that often.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
ojvoj

Post by ojvoj »

I find them quite boring. The music is over-arranged and the musicians just want to show-off. Fast playing with no feeling.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

But that means I'd have to stop listening to the Mulcahys and Marcas O Murchu and Peter and Kitty and John McKenna and the Glackins for a bit .... Oh, I don't know if I can give them up! ;-)

No, it's on the list. I hear the new Flook is quite nice as well.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

ojvoj wrote:I find them quite boring. The music is over-arranged and the musicians just want to show-off. Fast playing with no feeling.
Clearly you have not listened to the latest yet - it is, in general, a slow album. There are some lively tracks, but the overall mood is very relaxed.

I find that some of the pieces on Se do not really sound "Irish" to me at all - this is not a negative criticism, just a comment. It is definitely very arranged, which obviously does not appeal to everyone.

Listening to their other albums, I confess I don't understand comments like the "no feeling" one above. It ("feeling," however nebulously defined) might be expressed differently then other players would, but they (Lunasa) certainly aren't shallow or robotic.

My personal fave of the later albums is definitely the Kinnity Sessions.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Crafty arranging is sort of Lúnasa's signature and sometimes (more and more often) that's not what I want to listen to.

But, for all of the arranging I do find that they are done to highlight the melody of the tune and not just for flashiness. I've heard other "super groups" that do flashy arrangements that seem fun and lively but 30 seconds after the track is over I can't remember the melody.

The proliferation of those kinds of "Irish" bands are turning me more towards solo or duet performances with minimal accompaniment. "Flute Players of Roscommon" is doing the rounds right now.

But I still think of Lúnasa as a good band and like I said, the new material was very good and not too "arranged" (live at least).

Cheers,
Aaron
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I have it, and love it. I seem to be in agreement with AaronMalcomb here. I totally love less arranged solo recordings, and that's what I listen to most of the time. But I love Lunasa too, and I think they do this sort of thing very well. They're like, the only supergroup I listen to on a regular basis.
Danner

Post by Danner »

I love all of Lunasa's stuff. I got to go to see them perform last Friday night!!! It was awesome!!! :D Lunasa's style is over-arranged if you're looking for true Irish music. But, if you're looking for some really good whistle & flute music to just jam to, they're great. However, I don't think Se is one of their best albums.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Se has made it back into my car cd player this week and, after further review, I'm liking more and more. I'm glad I bought it and I'd recommend it to my friends.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

That's the way with a lot of CD's in my opinion.

I love Lunasa, didn't know they had a new CD, and plan to order it soon. :party:

M
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

I just saw them saturday night. They were fatastic!. I bought the new cd and like it a lot. I like 'Kinnity Sessions' better, though.

Their music is certainly well arranged. They're all such great musicians, I don't think they could do it any other way!

I love Lunasa, but I do prefer a less refined sound.
westiechick

Post by westiechick »

[quote]Their music is certainly well arranged. They're all such great musicians, I don't think they could do it any other way!

I love Lunasa, but I do prefer a less refined sound.[/quote]

I hear that Kevin, Cillian and Paul Meehan are doing some gigs on their own in the States.....might appeal to those of you with the same opinion as Fishie!
These guys are talented musicians and have to play in the style that the band has become so well known for - it doesn't mean to say they can't flake out the tunes in a session or whatever!
Lets not be too small minded here.....
WestieChick x
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Kevin, Cillian, and Paul would be a good show to catch.

In a thread where some young Puredroplicans were disparaging modern flute players, I postulated that Mr. Crawford could drop into a session of "geezers" and blend in seamlessly.

I'm sure the rest of the lads could too although Trevor would stick out since upright bass isn't very common at sessions.