Debbie Downer

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

Weeks, You're right, cutting it up didn't help. I think also though it was funnier when it was current. I think it was Eugene Levy on Letterman several years ago and Dave said how great SCTV had been... Levy said something like 'yea and it still holds up really well' and Letterman sort of grimaced and said 'oh, I don't know about that.'
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I dunno (about it not holding up). Earl Canembert?? Johnny LaRue? It might look dated, but its still funny to me. If you think about it, they almost never discussed any current event outside of Melonville, so it's not dated that way. With the exception of the guy who liked to blow up things real good, it was actually less dependent on physical comedy and downright stupid gags that SNL resorts to regularly. All character comedy with the improvisational edge. And a lot of rural upper midwest/Canadian gags, like Mayor Tommy Shanks.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I think you're right, but in this case only! :lol: ...I suppose Letterman is a good one to say stuff from 20 years ago doesn't hold up, like he should talk. Except for the Chris Elliot bits alot of his earlier stuff seems pretty stale.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Miwokhill wrote:I think you're right, but in this case only! :lol: ...I suppose Letterman is a good one to say stuff from 20 years ago doesn't hold up, like he should talk. Except for the Chris Elliot bits alot of his earlier stuff seems pretty stale.

It saddens me to agree. I've watched Letterman on and off the entire time he's been on TV. My own sense of humor, such as it is, owes a lot to that show. But, it really is stale. I only watch it occasionally now. They still do book pretty good musical acts, though. Also: Can't stand Leno's show, and never could.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

yea it's strange about Leno...he has this sort of nice guy, goody two shoes vibe but actually I find him to be... I can't think of the exact way to put it...borderline vulgar at times.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Miwokhill wrote:yea it's strange about Leno...he has this sort of nice guy, goody two shoes vibe but actually I find him to be... I can't think of the exact way to put it...borderline vulgar at times.
He's a Republican.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I've watched SNL for most of the time it has been on until this year. I find few skits recently that I thought were good enough to stay up to watch.
Mad TV has gotten better and I usually end up watching that.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Leno needs to give it to Conan right now.

I've never liked MadTV.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I watched Letterman when he first came on television so I feel like I have some perspective. He had a 9 a.m. show on NBC on weekdays and I happened to be home to see it. In those days, he had a Bay Area comic, Bob Sarlatte, as a sidekick announcer but dropped him when he went nightime. I watched him quite a bit on NBC then when he moved over to CBS.

I just think people get tired. The host gets tired, and the audience gets tired of him. I always think that they fight boredom and the sheer weight of money and fame and in the case of Letterman, the painfulness of being in the public eye. I think Letterman is only comfortable in crowds if he is sitting at that desk anymore. It's been pretty obvious how hard he tries to stay out of the in-public limelight.

I took Johnny Carson for granted, never understood why the writers continued to use Preparation H as a joke topic right to the uh.. end.. of his days. But I have to say that in comparison, even though Letterman had a really good run of it, has had much funnier verité stuff, going out on the street, etc., I think ol' Johnny may have beat him out after all in long-term public likeability. I felt like the verdict was out for a long time but Johnny is definitely easier to like, I think.

I tried to watch Leno but had a hard time, even though a friend of mine from up here became his percussionist in the band and I sorta felt like I oughta watch it. So I tried. But for some reason, his show has always seemed MORE hokey than Carson despite the presence of the hip band etc etc. The skits on Leno, especially the use of goofy lens effects to make his lower jaw bigger or alternately, his forehead are beyond Art Fern in stupidity. Art Fern was at least sorta vaudevillian...

Now I'm old and can't stay up that late anyway so it's easy to not miss it, except on Saturday, when Mad TV gets me for first half hour, then I flick back and forth till midnight. I generally turn SNL off after the fake news..
Frankly, that show is 30 minutes too long.

It's sense of self-hipness and all-over-the-map skit quality weaken it. It's never been great but just because Boomers were young and narcissistic it SEEMED reeally great for a while but probably always had the same weaknesses after the first two seasons.. But it must be said that there has been a really interesting run of comedians over the years that have gone far, along with a few duds.

Oh yeah, Michael McDonald on MadTV is amazing. He sticks with it, instead of jumping at the chance to do a string of lame movies, so I appreciate him. Nicole Sullivan was great but she quit.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Mad TV? That's the most unfunny show I've ever seen. I have never laughed at Mad TV. Maybe I missed that episode.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, they've (MadTV) been on for ten seasons, so I think you did miss something that others like.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:Mad TV? That's the most unfunny show I've ever seen. I have never laughed at Mad TV. Maybe I missed that episode.
I've never found Mad anything to be even remotely humorous.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Lambchop wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:Mad TV? That's the most unfunny show I've ever seen. I have never laughed at Mad TV. Maybe I missed that episode.
Especially mad-sheep disease.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Especially mad-sheep disease.

Gasp! EEEEEEK!