Don Imus: Enemy of Irish Music

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

DaleWisely wrote:
chas wrote:Imus is a legend. He was a good DJ long before there was this whole talk-radio thing; a fush-hour DJ before the whole rush-hour thing was big and syndication and programming services became big. He didn't start the whole thing with skits, etc., till the late 70's, 10-20 years after he was the second-best-known DJ in New York (after Wolfman Jack).

I hadn't heard a thing about him in 20 years before he was a guest on some pundits show. Imus, the DJ, talking politics??? He's simply risen to his level of incompetence. He's giving the audience what (most of) the audience wants.

I'm with Dub on CTL. I've seen them twice, ill-advisedly bought a couple of their discs, and they simply don't do a thing for me.
I sometimes avoid defending Joanie Madden and CTL on this forum. I have a conflict of interest because Joanie is a friend.

And, of course, in matters of aesthetic taste, there's really no arguments to make: People are free to like or not like the music.

Joanie & CTL get attacked sometimes for not being traditional enough--the age-old debate about pure forms of a musical genre vs. more broadly- appealing approaches (and more commercial) applies here.

But, putting aesthetics aside, I'll just point out that no person(s) on the planet, in my opinion, with the exception of The Chieftains, is more responsible for public interest in Irish music than Joanie Madden. Among other things, there'd be no C&F had I not heard Joanie play.

The truth is, there may not be enough fans of the "pure" forms of any musical genre (the Blues, comes to mind, too) to financially support the pure forms. And further, all the purists owe a debt to the non-purists, or popularists, we might say, which they seldom acknowledge while snobbishly looking down their noses. How many people got interested in real nitty-gritty Delta Blues by first listening to B. B. King (NOT a blues purist)? How many people, like myself, ended up spending a good bit of money on "pure" Irish Trad, because he or she first heard The Chieftains or Cherish the Ladies?
Apologies to chas. I shouldn't have quoted his post in mine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with not liking CTL, or not liking Mary Bergin, for that matter.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

DaleWisely wrote: Apologies to chas. I shouldn't have quoted his post in mine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with not liking CTL, or not liking Mary Bergin, for that matter.
Not a problem. I've got absolutely nothing against CTL, and I have a lot of respect for some of their current and past members. (Anyone who helped expose the world to Win Horan and Mary Rafferty is fine by me.) They're just not my cuppa.

I came to traditional music through Steeleye Span, and they're the one and only constant in my listening over the last (cough cough) 30 years. Not exactly the most traditional of the traditional bands, the originality in their arrangements is certainly one of the things that attracts me to them.
I sometimes avoid defending Joanie Madden and CTL on this forum. I have a conflict of interest because Joanie is a friend.
I wouldn't consider her being a friend a conflict. I posted a link to a friend's website last week. His being my friend doesn't mean he's not a great musician, just as Joanie being your friend isn't the primary reason you like CTL's music. (Just a guess, but I suspect liking her music predated y'all being buds, too.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

I just remembered the best part of the article on him.

He was trying to get to an airport back in his cocaine/booze days and decided that the best way to do it was... to buy a Cadillac on the spot and drive himself there. The interviewer asked where it was and he said that, to that day, he had no clue. :lol: That is a story for the grandkids (minus the coke).
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Congratulations wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:How many people, like myself, ended up spending a good bit of money on "pure" Irish Trad, because he or she first heard The Chieftains?
/raises hand
Me, too.

In my case, I needed something sufficiently rompous, yet not irritating, to wake up to in the morning. Borders was playing the Chieftains over the sound system for St. Pat's and . . .
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

OnTheMoor wrote:I just remembered the best part of the article on him.

He was trying to get to an airport back in his cocaine/booze days and decided that the best way to do it was... to buy a Cadillac on the spot and drive himself there. The interviewer asked where it was and he said that, to that day, he had no clue. :lol: That is a story for the grandkids (minus the coke).
There's a variation on that story told about Mike Tyson. He was out somewhere, got caught in a rainstorm, dashed into a sports car dealership, bought a car, drove home. Good story, even if untrue.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Untruths are sooooo much more entertaining than truths.

The media is the message :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
lilymaid

Re: Don Imus: Enemy of Irish Music

Post by lilymaid »

DaleWisely wrote: After that performance, Imus said to the band "ix-nay on the instrumentals and dancing."

In an effort to meet the needs of the radio curmudgeon, Cherish the Ladies performed a vocal. No dancing.

Imus' response:

"I must say the singer looks great." (Just about the only thing he got right). Imus continued, "That said, don't dance, and don't play your dopey instruments. And don't play something that sounds like a funeral dirge. We're not drunk. It's morning."

At that point, Joanie Madden bounded over a table at which was seated Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney and Presidential historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, and beat Don Imus to death. Later, Imus' body was removed, with Joanie's O'Riordan whistle still lodged in Imus' esophogas.
He probably listens to the Backstreet Boys. ;)

Honestly, it sounds like the fellow has an utter lack of manners, and deserves to get a less than happy letter. (Or a few less than happy letters, for that matter.) That is no way to treat anyone, let alone guests on your show.

I mean, "don't play your dopey instruments"- good gracious! He's asking for a slapping.
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Going on a show like Imus' is taking a risk anyway. i've only seen bits of the guy and don't get the attraction. You had Stern and Imus out there in New York and they're both major league horse's asses. i guess you have to be there to get it.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Imus couldn't carry Howard Stern's Jock Strap. Wear it on his head, maybe.

As for Dale's comment about JM and CTL being second only to The Chieftains in terms of bringing people to Irish Music... Dale, I've got two words for you: Michael Flatley. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loren
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Loren wrote: As for Dale's comment about JM and CTL being second only to The Chieftains in terms of bringing people to Irish Music... Dale, I've got two words for you: Michael Flatley. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loren
OHHHHH, crap.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

DaleWisely wrote:
There's a variation on that story told about Mike Tyson. He was out somewhere, got caught in a rainstorm, dashed into a sports car dealership, bought a car, drove home. Good story, even if untrue.
Awww, Dat's Ludacris.

Loren
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, as long as we're on the topic of things that are scary. What the heck is this, dude? A rabbit with a bloody mouth whose eyes have been poked out or what? Is it a carnivorous rabbit? What's with the giant teeth on the bottom? I don't know if I should be scared of it or sorry for it. And those red nostrils. Geez. I am disturbed. :boggle: :o :boggle:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Dude, it's the killer Rabbit from Monty Python, made into a toy.

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:Image
Well, as long as we're on the topic of things that are scary. What the heck is this, dude? A rabbit with a bloody mouth whose eyes have been poked out or what? Is it a carnivorous rabbit? What's with the giant teeth on the bottom? I don't know if I should be scared of it or sorry for it. And those red nostrils. Geez. I am disturbed. :boggle: :o :boggle:

I thought it was another one of Cran's atrocities . . .
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Lambchop wrote:
Cynth wrote:Image

I thought it was another one of Cran's atrocities . . .
Well, if I'm freaked I think someone else might think this is even more than a travesty! :lol: Yeah, an atrocity!

Loren wrote:Dude, it's the killer Rabbit from Monty Python, made into a toy.
Ohhhhh. Well, that's a relief. Perhaps something nice for little Rhoda's Easter basket, eh?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca