Don Imus: Enemy of Irish Music

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Ok Dub. You're right. You're drunk. Sleep it off bub. I love you anyway.
Of course it only takes 4 ounces of Chardonnay to do the same to me.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote: I love you anyway.
On that cheerful note I'm out of here,

To sleep, perchance to dream,

Just let me find Jonis "Court and Spark" ...

"Do you want to let me go there by myself.."

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Cranberry wrote: ....Don Imus is often parodied, made fun of, or even ridiculed, .....
Well, gee, I wonder why that is. Could it have to do with his foul behavior?
Cranberry wrote:But "what he delivers" is not all shock jock radio. He also runs a cattle ranch (as I pointed out above) for very sick children.
Okay, that is nice. He could be worse. He could be better too.

I know that probably he has an act and this is what draws his audience. All the same, I find him disgusting. He is quite free to feel the same about me.

Dubh, I have been pretty much listening to dead Irish musicians for quite awhile so I don't have any knowledge about the particular performers being discussed. I would smack him just on general principles no matter who he was rude to. Hope that head isn't too bad tomorrow.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Dub notwithstanding, I like CTL and Don Imus and I agree that Mary Bergin is in a class by herself.

Imus is a grouchy, self-absorded curmudgeon. Still he has some unusual traits among drive time talk show hosts. When he has writers on, he's usually read their books or has had his staff do it and fakes it well. He's hard to pidgeon-hole politically but has always refused to join the right wing ratings winners. He seems willing to talk about serious issues and have political guests from across the spectrum. I think he likes to consider himself a humorous shock jock, but he seems a little too sincere to match the younger shockers. I don't listen to him much anymore as I'm not in the car when he's on. Annoying, rude, but has some redeeming values. If Joannie were to do him in with an O'Riodan, she should take it with her, clean it up and send it to Dub. Sort of a curmudgeonly hello.

Also, I'd think the Pogues would be more suitable for Imus on St. Pats. There touring, and were in Boston Wed. night.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Imus is simply an ass, no if and or buts about it. There really isn't anything even remotely socially redeemable about his program. Why my father is fond of it is way beyond me. Perhaps it has the same appeal as that other low brow show, Jerry Springer.Image
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Cranberry wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:He's an interesting guy. I've always found him more or less unwatchable. But, that's me.
That's because you're not supposed to watch him. You're supposed to listen to him. "The perfect face for radio" and all that... :P
I am not at all suprised by Imus. I can't imagine actually having to watch him. I can't stand his voice. His humor or "politics" leave a lot to be desired, so I don't listen to him, always change the radio channel if he's on. The amazing thing to me is that he actually makes a living doing what he does.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:
Cynth wrote:Well, okay, if that's his thing.
I just hope the musicians
were warned. Quite frankly,
anyone who looks like this
and acts like that,
in fairness deserves just what he delivers--- a good hard smack.
I'd be more than happy to deliver it. What a piece of work. Ugh!!!!!!
But "what he delivers" is not all shock jock radio. He also runs a cattle ranch (as I pointed out above) for very sick children.
MSNBC wrote:It is extremely important that all parents and children understand the fundamental philosophy of the ranch: it is not a camp! It is a working cattle ranch. Our objectives for the [terminally ill] kids are to encourage in them a sense of achievement, responsibility and self-esteem through hard work and fun, while restoring their pride and dignity. Many have become convinced that because they are sick they are not normal. At The Imus Ranch they quickly discover they can do anything any other kid can do.
Don Imus is often parodied, made fun of, or even ridiculed, but he does a lot of good work. He's not the portrait of evil (that's Howard Stern).
Rather in-depth observations from someone who is out of this world.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

[semi-hijack] (I like your new avatar Lamby :wink: ) [/end hijack]
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

dubhlinn wrote:
emmline wrote: I love you anyway.
On that cheerful note I'm out of here,

To sleep, perchance to dream,

To sleep, perchance to rub,
Ah, there's the dream!

Happy St. Pat's everybody!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

izzarina wrote:[semi-hijack] (I like your new avatar Lamby :wink: ) [/end hijack]
[semi-hijack](Thank you, Izz! I like it, too! Steve's a fine man and a finer photographer!)[/end hijack]
CHCBrown

Post by CHCBrown »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Imus is simply an ass, no if and or buts about it. There really isn't anything even remotely socially redeemable about his program. Why my father is fond of it is way beyond me. Perhaps it has the same appeal as that other low brow show, Jerry Springer.Image
Come on, quit beating around the bush....tell us what you REALLY think!

Imus is a huge Delbert McLinton fan... which may or may not shed light on the subject.

I always enjoyed his show, when I could pick it up on the radio....guess I'll have to look into that brow-raising surgery, after all.
"Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light ….”
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

CHCBrown wrote:
Come on, quit beating around the bush....tell us what you REALLY think!
... OK, he's a self serving racist prick. :lol:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Imus is a legend. He was a good DJ long before there was this whole talk-radio thing; a fush-hour DJ before the whole rush-hour thing was big and syndication and programming services became big. He didn't start the whole thing with skits, etc., till the late 70's, 10-20 years after he was the second-best-known DJ in New York (after Wolfman Jack).

I hadn't heard a thing about him in 20 years before he was a guest on some pundits show. Imus, the DJ, talking politics??? He's simply risen to his level of incompetence. He's giving the audience what (most of) the audience wants.

I'm with Dub on CTL. I've seen them twice, ill-advisedly bought a couple of their discs, and they simply don't do a thing for me.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

chas wrote:Imus is a legend. He was a good DJ long before there was this whole talk-radio thing; a fush-hour DJ before the whole rush-hour thing was big and syndication and programming services became big. He didn't start the whole thing with skits, etc., till the late 70's, 10-20 years after he was the second-best-known DJ in New York (after Wolfman Jack).

I hadn't heard a thing about him in 20 years before he was a guest on some pundits show. Imus, the DJ, talking politics??? He's simply risen to his level of incompetence. He's giving the audience what (most of) the audience wants.

I'm with Dub on CTL. I've seen them twice, ill-advisedly bought a couple of their discs, and they simply don't do a thing for me.
I sometimes avoid defending Joanie Madden and CTL on this forum. I have a conflict of interest because Joanie is a friend.

And, of course, in matters of aesthetic taste, there's really no arguments to make: People are free to like or not like the music.

Joanie & CTL get attacked sometimes for not being traditional enough--the age-old debate about pure forms of a musical genre vs. more broadly- appealing approaches (and more commercial) applies here.

But, putting aesthetics aside, I'll just point out that no person(s) on the planet, in my opinion, with the exception of The Chieftains, is more responsible for public interest in Irish music than Joanie Madden. Among other things, there'd be no C&F had I not heard Joanie play.

The truth is, there may not be enough fans of the "pure" forms of any musical genre (the Blues, comes to mind, too) to financially support the pure forms. And further, all the purists owe a debt to the non-purists, or popularists, we might say, which they seldom acknowledge while snobbishly looking down their noses. How many people got interested in real nitty-gritty Delta Blues by first listening to B. B. King (NOT a blues purist)? How many people, like myself, ended up spending a good bit of money on "pure" Irish Trad, because he or she first heard The Chieftains or Cherish the Ladies?
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

DaleWisely wrote:How many people, like myself, ended up spending a good bit of money on "pure" Irish Trad, because he or she first heard The Chieftains?
/raises hand
oh Lana Turner we love you get up