Inexpensive whistle poll...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What's your favorite inexpensive whistle (<$15)

Clare
5%
Clarke Original
18%
Clarke Sweetone or Meg
21%
Feadog
21%
Generation
13%
Oak
11%
Walton's LBW
3%
Walton's Irish Whistle
2%
Walton's Mellow D
6%

Total votes: 112

Boody
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Boody »

I am new and I only have 1 whistle, which is a Feadog. I had trouble with the second octave till I tacked it, but now it sounds really nice.
Whistle Clips (Old, I really need to update these)
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

Oak is my favorite cheapie, I've bought three of them and they're all good, one is a little better than the others. I love the sound of them, clear, bright, sweet, in tune. In fact, I now play my best Oak more than my expensive custom-made whistles.

I've bought three Feadogs, they've all been totally playable and in tune and consistent, they sound identical to each other, but I don't like their sound quite as much as the Oaks, a little too husky for my taste.

I've bought three Generations, all playable, but not my cup of tea.

I've bought two Clarks, playable, not my cup of tea, too breathy and not as responsive as the others, in my opinion.

I've bought one Sweetone, playable, but I can't stand the sound of it. It sounds very dull and unlike a traditional whistle to me.

So that's 12 cheapies, all playable. I guess I've been lucky. Or maybe cheapies are generally playable?
Love...Serve...Remember
riverman

Post by riverman »

I think the Clarke original has to be the best--good mellow breathy sound and no buzz. But I have been spoiled by the modern mouthpieces, and love my unpainted tin Sweetone dearly. It's quiet tone only adds to the appeal--and it's reasonably windproof!
So I voted for the Sweetone.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
riverman

Post by riverman »

...also, when I play the conical Sweetone I can pretend I'm playing a Copeland!
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Tommy wrote:One of each.
Best answer!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I said Feadog but the truth is it doesn't really matter too much except for the Clarkes. I don't play Clarkes at all. I have an old Feadog here that is super glued and taped that plays beautifully. I have an Oak but it has a Hoover white Cap on it. Who gets the most play? Whichever is close by. Most of my Generations are not tweaked at all. My Feadogs are sticky tacked, plastic bits removed and the blade dulled a bit.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

PhilO wrote:My favorite is not listed - Walton Golden Tone C.

Philo
I just realized I've never had one of those :boggle:

If anyone runs into a batch tucked away in an out of the way little shop somewhere, please let me know.

Hard to believe I let those slip by me back in the day when they were still available.

Loren
Ann

Post by Ann »

Generation. It's my first whistle ever and it really does sound nice, its quiet, it never clogs and is easier to play than other whistles.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Under $15???? I thought this was going to be an inexpensive whistle poll, like under $150 or so! :o

Oh yeah, I like wood. :lol: Inexpensive is relative.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
walrii

Post by walrii »

I voted for the LBW because I seem to keep coming back to it. I like the Feadog a lot but I need to play it frequently or I forget it's idiosyncrasies. I have a Clarke, a Walton, a Sweetone but the LBW gets the most play. I do agree with a earlier comment - as cheap as they are, one of each is a good idea!
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
dotyj

Favorite pennywhistle

Post by dotyj »

I've been playing for less than a month, not quite three weeks.

I've got a pair of Walton's in D, one's a Mellow, a Clarke Sweetone in D, and a Feadog in D.

It's amazing how much personality each pennywhistle has.

I love my Feadog, but it's the hardest to play. The Feadog sounds so bright and has great tone. The Clarke seems to be the easiest to play but doesn't sound a pretty.

I've still got a lot of learning to do though.
I drank what?
riverman

Post by riverman »

I LOVE you guys! The Black Cat made me want to bawl--this is the very stuff that attracted me to the whistle in the first place! I have to work on some improvisation of my own, and get serious about my slow airs tunebook!
regor

Post by regor »

Quick update on my new Generation D tweak... it is rapidely becoming my favourite inexpensive whistle indeed.. the more I play it, the more I like it, it's groing on me... :P
MacNeil

Post by MacNeil »

I've played most of these.

I find the Sweetone seriously overrated -- unfocused and toy-like in its sound.

Feadogs can be nice, but have this weird edge I find unpleasant. Same with the standard Walton's (actually Soodlums, since the one I own dates from 1983).

The Walton's Mellow D would be my choice, except for its seriously-sharp bell-note.

The Little Black Whistle does nothing for me.

That leaves the Generation, which is head and shoulders above the others for purity of tone and responsiveness, provided you can find a good one. But I guess a chance at something good is preferable to a sure-bet mediocrity (or worse).

(My personal choice would be a Mellow Dog, but any of Jerry's mods goes beyond the target price.)
Raven Falls Photography
www.ravenfallsphotography.com
lisdoonvarna

Post by lisdoonvarna »

I've had a clark, a dixon, a feadog, a shaw and a sweetone. I'm using the black sweetone in performances. The clark takes more air and began to have serious clogging issues, I do like the Dixon (30 some dollars) but it was too quiet for loud venues. The shaw was too out of tune and took a lot of air, the feadog had very low volume in the lowest two notes, but the upper register is nice. I like to blow a bit harder than it wanted me to. The sweetone is for me just the right volume, takes just the right amount of air for how hard I blow, the plastic head never clogs on me and I think it sounds traditional. It seems to have a nice balance between mellow and chiffy. I like the painted ones better though. I bought a natural metal one but the seam on the back sticks out more than it does on the painted ones I've had so it wants to roll to one side. I haven't had this problem with the painted ones.
Lisdoonvarna
if at first you don't succeed, buy a new whistle