Explain your avatar.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

Flyingcursor wrote:Even I find the little lambs cute. I expect to see the little twins start romping any time. Is the grass always that green in Cornwall in March?

Everything here is still a lovely winter brown.
It's still brown and cold here too. There are a few crocus out but that's about it. The ground is still too frozen to dig, so I can't even get the cool weather crops in the garden. Not too surprising though, when you look at a map. Follow the longitude line across from Spokane, and you will see that we are further north than the UP of Michigan, and further north than Maine.

I am so ready for spring!!
Charlene
Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Caj »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Congratulations wrote:
Caj wrote: Someone else thought it was a giant cookie.

Caj
I've always thought you were using your superhuman jaw to turn a bolt.
I thought it was a benzene ring with a constellation in the center. Almost PMed Caj gust to ask what it was.
Okay, at this point I get the impression that it needs some work. Is this better?

Caj
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Caj wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
Congratulations wrote: I've always thought you were using your superhuman jaw to turn a bolt.
I thought it was a benzene ring with a constellation in the center. Almost PMed Caj gust to ask what it was.
Okay, at this point I get the impression that it needs some work. Is this better?

Caj
I liked it better before.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Charlene wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:Even I find the little lambs cute. I expect to see the little twins start romping any time. Is the grass always that green in Cornwall in March?

Everything here is still a lovely winter brown.
It's still brown and cold here too. There are a few crocus out but that's about it. The ground is still too frozen to dig, so I can't even get the cool weather crops in the garden. Not too surprising though, when you look at a map. Follow the longitude line across from Spokane, and you will see that we are further north than the UP of Michigan, and further north than Maine.

I am so ready for spring!!
The grass grows all year round in Cornwall but slowly in winter. We're having a really cold spring by our standards this time. Dashed out a few minutes ago to take this pic of my daffs struggling to come out - they were blowing about a bit.

"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

Right now, my avatar matches my tag line. Which is also about me as much as anyone else.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Congratulations wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:My new one is my Burns Boxwood Flute.
Is that a Rudall or a Pratten? And how do you like it? (I've been coveting a Burns for some time)
It is a Pratten. Not really easy to play at first, but well worth the effort, I can play with Piano Accordions and still be heard. Once you get it, it plays great and can really bark. The tone is very even through the 2 registers. The craftsmanship is great, no reamer marks, undercutting on the holes, good size profile, good finish, and it just overall feels good to hold and look at. I had been coveting a Burns for a long time also, don't hesitate to get one. Although first find out what you are looking for in a Flute, then get Casey's model that correpondes to that.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Mine is my Dusty Strings Ravenna 26-string harp. I just got it in January, and I'm passionately in love with it (my husband and the cat are both jealous!).

I do change my avatar fairly regularly, however. In the past, I've had an actual picture of a North American Red Wolf (should be fairly obvious there), various whistle art pictures, and a spotted worm (based on a family "Mondegreen"...my husband misheard the lyrics "is fada liom uaim í ó d'imigh sí" as "she spotted a worm on a gym machine", and now the entire family refers to that song as "The Spotted Worm")

It would be interesting to revisit this thread a few years from now and see how people's avatars have changed.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Random notes wrote:Right now, my avatar matches my tag line. Which is also about me as much as anyone else.

Roger
"Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi"

Not really having any Latin, myself, does that read, "Not everyone having a cittern is a citternist"?

...in other words, just because you have a gizmo in your lap doesn't entitle you to play it. Cautionary advice for myself, too...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Congratulations wrote:
Caj wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote: I thought it was a benzene ring with a constellation in the center. Almost PMed Caj gust to ask what it was.

Caj

I liked it better before.

Uh oh! Looks like a big virus. An especially virulent one, too. Not quite the message you want to send, I don't think . . .

Steve may have some pictures of handsome rams . . . those are always in good taste! I'm sure if you ask nicely, he'll be happy to share!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Unseen122 wrote:
Congratulations wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:My new one is my Burns Boxwood Flute.
Is that a Rudall or a Pratten? And how do you like it? (I've been coveting a Burns for some time)
It is a Pratten. Not really easy to play at first, but well worth the effort, I can play with Piano Accordions and still be heard. Once you get it, it plays great and can really bark. The tone is very even through the 2 registers. The craftsmanship is great, no reamer marks, undercutting on the holes, good size profile, good finish, and it just overall feels good to hold and look at. I had been coveting a Burns for a long time also, don't hesitate to get one. Although first find out what you are looking for in a Flute, then get Casey's model that correpondes to that.
What board was this? I'm lost.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Congratulations

Flyingcursor wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:
Congratulations wrote: Is that a Rudall or a Pratten? And how do you like it? (I've been coveting a Burns for some time)
What board was this? I'm lost.
Sorry, I just asked Unseen about his flute (since he mentioned that his avatar is a burns). Feel free to proceed with the thread as it was. :)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Edited because I change mine too often to keep this updated.
Last edited by Loren on Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

Nano wrote: "Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi"

Not really having any Latin, myself, does that read, "Not everyone having a cittern is a citternist"?

...in other words, just because you have a gizmo in your lap doesn't entitle you to play it. Cautionary advice for myself, too...
Just so. Or more generally, not all who own instruments are musicians.

And of course the pic is Kenneth Gorelick, aka Kenny G.

'Nuff said.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Congratulations

Random notes wrote:Just so. Or more generally, not all who own instruments are musicians.

And of course the pic is Kenneth Gorelick, aka Kenny G.

'Nuff said.
As a saxophone player, AMEN!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Poor old Kenny G.

The Michael Flatley of Saxophone... :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats