Why am I unsurprised?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Why am I unsurprised?

Post by Congratulations »

Flash video of Burning Down the House by the Talking Heads played backward. With subtitles. It's hilarious.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Oh my gosh. I think I blew out a vessel laughing at that. Thanks for sharing it. Made my day.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Okay, I have actually heard of the Talking Heads. But I haven't heard their music. So I guess if this is a song of theirs that people know it would be funny. To me it just sounded like most of the music I hear nowdays. It didn't sound like anything was backwards to me. I found that to be quite interesting and well worth the listen. It was nice to have subtitles so you could know what they were saying though.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Oh, Cynth, you're missing out! The Talking Heads are one of my favorite bands ever. I'd suggest you poke around a little and see what you can find (if you like classic rock, anyway).
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

What would be scary would be to take the backwards lyrics and use the normal music. I love Talking Heads- this is so David Byrne-of course he would record a palindrome of a song...hmmm....
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Can I have 50 more snuggles? Can't afford to take home beef.

:wink:
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I'd bet the video for "Once in a Lifetime" would look the same backwards as front.

"This is not my beautiful flute."
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Congratulations wrote:Oh, Cynth, you're missing out! The Talking Heads are one of my favorite bands ever. I'd suggest you poke around a little and see what you can find (if you like classic rock, anyway).
I agree. I'd short-list Talking Heads among my favorite rock bands. The definitive CD is "Remain in Light," but there's a bunch of great ones. I also particularly liked "Fear of Music" and "More Songs About Buildings and Food."
djm

Post by djm »

Cynth, may I suggest you rent the video "Stop Making Sense" to get a chance to both see Talking Heads on stage (hilarious) as well as hear some of their best tunes (excellent). That should give you a good grounding to appreciate the TH's sense of humour, and why this little obscurity is so funny.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

(time to bring the old stand-by out)
ROTFLMFAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You made my day also...
gotta send this to a bunch of other people!
Tanx!!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
emmline

Post by emmline »

Did anyone else catch that reference to Bloomfield?
It figures he'd get in there somehow.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Congratulations wrote:Oh, Cynth, you're missing out! The Talking Heads are one of my favorite bands ever. I'd suggest you poke around a little and see what you can find (if you like classic rock, anyway).

CLASSIC ROCK?!?!?

Ooh... I feel so old

mother, can i have some more petite marshmallows in my hot cocoa?
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Congratulations

Scott McCallister wrote:

CLASSIC ROCK?!?!?

Ooh... I feel so old

mother, can i have some more petite marshmallows in my hot cocoa?
Well... yeah. Would you put them in the same category as, say, Tool? Radiohead?

I should say not!

It's my way of telling my peers (I'm in college, they all listen to crap), "Yes, I like music, but no, I don't like yours."

Also, I am very upset that our local "Golden Oldies" station plays The Beatles. :(
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

djm wrote:Cynth, may I suggest you rent the video "Stop Making Sense" to get a chance to both see Talking Heads on stage (hilarious) as well as hear some of their best tunes (excellent). That should give you a good grounding to appreciate the TH's sense of humour, and why this little obscurity is so funny.

djm
Maybe renting the video would be best since I'm not much of a rock listener. I'll look for it. I did think it was sort of funny, just not for the same reasons everyone else did. :lol: I will be filling in a gap in my education.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Cynth wrote:
djm wrote:Cynth, may I suggest you rent the video "Stop Making Sense" to get a chance to both see Talking Heads on stage (hilarious) as well as hear some of their best tunes (excellent). That should give you a good grounding to appreciate the TH's sense of humour, and why this little obscurity is so funny.

djm
Maybe renting the video would be best since I'm not much of a rock listener. I'll look for it. I did think it was sort of funny, just not for the same reasons everyone else did. :lol: I will be filling in a gap in my education.
You must watch that movie! Not only is it a great concert with great music, but the show is brilliant. David Byrne really gives an energetic (and inspired) performance. The band and the movie are among my favorite musical things of all time!