Hearing Loss

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Beth, it's up and running, must be blocked by your employer.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Ah well, it's not the first one. Guess I'll have to try calling after work. That phone number on the first page: is it a toll free? it's an 847 area code or something if I recall.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Avanutria, there is a condition,
otosclerosis, which involves a bony
growth of the tiny bones inside
the inner ear, reducing their
conductivity. It's progressive and
unrelated to loud noise. The body is
too good at making bone. It's
surgically correctible--in effect
they replace the stirrup (or whichever
bone it is) with a piece of metal.
I've had surgery in one ear, I
wear a hearing aid in the other.
Possibly you have otosclerosis. It's
easy to diagnose, if ever you wish to
find out.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Sure, email me some stuff, thanks. I've always had a little trouble hearing, especially understanding spoken words, but various hearing tests I've had over the years said I was normal. (How little they knew :lol: ) The one I took last summer was the first one to say there was some detected loss.

If you use the email link in my profile remember to take out the spamblocker.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Beth,
You may want to check the settings on your browser. You need to make sure that the security levels are turned on. On Internet Explorer (MS) look under Tools - Internet Options, advanced tab, check boxes under security. Most commercial sites won't let you use their check out with out running in a secure connection.

I ordered from the site with out any problems.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
thurlowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by thurlowe »

I tried to purchase some earplugs from etymotic.com just now-- wouldn't work for me either. Lots of typing, no results. So it's not just you, avanutria.

[edit]

Woops, will try Lee's suggestions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thurlowe on 2002-08-14 12:26 ]</font>
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Thurlowe - I'm planning on just calling the number tonight.

For reference, the trouble I had with the site: when I registered, it gave an error, but then I was able to log in, so it did save my info. Then I tried to continue on from the "confirm your information" screen and it errored again. Couldn't get any farther.

Whoops, just saw Lee's post. I'll try that when I get home. Thanks for the tip!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2002-08-14 12:28 ]</font>
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

On 2002-08-14 12:25, LeeMarsh wrote:

How much was shipping?
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

On 2002-08-14 14:27, avanutria wrote:
On 2002-08-14 12:25, LeeMarsh wrote:
How much was shipping?
Each set of plugs runs $10 .
Total shipping (one or more sets) UPS Ground $5 or next day UPS $20.

I got one set of plugs, one cord ($1), and ground shipping for a total of $16.

I got them for Little Bob, my daughter, she's in a punk rock band. If she likes them I'll order more, and in a variety of colors (To match her hair color's that change weekly).
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Kar

Post by Kar »

I just ordered from that website and it was fine.

I must say, I'm so glad someone brought this up. I ride mass transit every day and about five years ago, I started wearing earplugs during my commute, because the trains & buses could get so loud. A bit of trivia: The NYC Subway is actually a major source for New Yorkers' hearing loss problems. And the sound of trucks passing you on the freeway--if your car windows are down--is about 100 decibles--with 80 being the threshold for "safe."

Anyway, I practice my D whistle at bus stops (with the earplugs already in anyway), and it's MUCH nicer for my ears than at home. In fact, I don't even play my D or even C whistles much anymore because they are too high; the Bb or the A is easier on the ears. And I play mostly one-octave folk & traditional music. How people stand those jigs & reels in the upper octaves is amazing to me.

Point is, if you are really worried about hearing loss, you might want to think about other activities that could be exacerbating the problem, and wear For instance, I take earplugs to movie theatres, esp any action pictures, and I can always hear the whole movie just fine. And you'll be saving your hearing for when you want it--for whistling!
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

I have similar earplugs that I wear in the car. Believe me there's lots of sound that gets through so don't think I'm being a doink. Highway driving in a Black VW Golf with no air conditioning means I have to have a window open, and at 120km/h it gets noisy, especially for long drives. I also wear them at the occassional rock concert. I highly recommend getting a pair. Uh, did I mention that I play uilleann pipes;-))
curioso

Post by curioso »

You might also check your local sports/ gun/ hunting stores. Shooting sports require hearing protection, and they have earplugs and electronic headphones that let all sound thru under the danger limit, but attenuate everything above. Of course, electronics cost more! :wink:

And please, please, please, DO NOT TRY TO BLOW into any 12 gauge "low whistles"... They usually forget to drill holes anyway...
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Beth, in college I too was diagnosed with a listening problem. They said my ears were fine, but in effect I needed to see a person speak in order to really understand what they were saying. I can't gather words on tape or sometimes if a person talks to me from another room or with their back turned.

As far as whistling, I've had one bad session where I was blasted by two explosive singers and one speaker pointed toward me, and I won't do THAT again any time soon.

I play quieter whistles than the Burke or Sweetheart when I'm practicing at home in the kitchen, but if I'm in the livingroom with the furniture and rug and wall stuff, I seem to be okay.

When I was talking with Ralph Sweet and another local sessioner, John K, about how a particular whistle hurt my ears in the upper register, they both played it and said it sounded fine to them. Then one of them pointed out that they were both fifers, and their ears were used to high and loud. I think they both have some serious loss that I'd like to avoid!
Brenna Joy

Post by Brenna Joy »

I think it's absurd how people in general treat their hearing. Going to family dances held by my church, I'm shocked how loud the music is. And there is these little 5 year old kids dancing right in front of the speakers!
But if you want loud, go to an east indian wedding. Yikes!!!
SusanCasler

Post by SusanCasler »

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I purchased a pair of etymotic plugs today from a local audiologist. They are plugs designed for musicians that supposedly do not alter the sound enough to interfere with quality control. He said the only negative was comfort in the one size fits all variety, and for someone who is very serious a custom pair can be made, but with a considerably higher cost of $130. I'll try these out and report back later.