Migration?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Time to shut this and migrate to the other place

yes, please
32%
no, this is fine here
68%

Total votes: 66

PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Peter Laban wrote:I'd rather go out somewhere for a chat and play a few tunes with people I know, maybe learn something useful while at it.
I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not more forums (fora?) that we need. It's more time playing. Who was it said we should get off the internet and practice an hour each night? Great idea. I'm off to practice. Bye.
PJ
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

Bloomfield wrote: it's Peter. Makes me wonder, Jeff, that you picked him of all people for your wholesale condemnation of experienced quitters.
I didn't pick Peter, he started this whole thread and offered himself up as an example - and it is he who mentioned this mystical magical forum that the "experienced" pipers have fled to en masse (but by invitation only of course).

Don't blame me, I didn't single him out by design, by all standards he is a fine and knowledgeable piper.

Jeff - confused
djm

Post by djm »

When we had our spot of trouble on C&F a year ago, "serious" pipers insisted they needed a place to go that would only allow "serious" piping discussion. This lead to the creation of the UilleannPipe Discussion Forum http://uilleannforum.com. It was set out from the beginning as being dedicated to "serious" piping discussion only. The result: no posts, no involvement by experts, no weighty subjects of strictly "serious" piping. The moderator there gave up in frustration and opened the floodgates to the great unwashed masses. There is still only very limited participation there.

If there is a by-invitation-only forum somewhere that these expert pipers feel more comfortable using then by all means leave them there. They are doing no harm to this board. If NPU wants to start another forum that is great, too. We can monitor it and see if anything worthwhile comes of it.

I believe the strength of C&F is that there are lots of boards here, and people can post on all, some or none, and have lots of fun doing it. Public forums are for people. Let the experts hide out as they choose.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I agree. Everyone needs different sorts of discussions based on his level of knowledge, quite naturally, and should go wherever necessary to get them. It is the same in real life. There is nothing bad in that at all. Just whatever forum we happen to be in at the moment, we can try to show tact and good will so that the discussion can be healthy and vigorous rather than cringing or antagonistic. This is really what I was trying to get at in my earlier rather harsh post.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
bensdad

Disconnect

Post by bensdad »

"Public forums are for people. Let the experts hide out as they choose."
vs
"Try to show tact and good will."
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Uh oh :lol: . I was trying to be nice there. Nice to everyone. I was agreeing with the part that said there is no harm done to any forum by the existence of another one. I wasn't really getting into the hiding out thing. Perhaps I could go do that right now. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
mukade

Post by mukade »

Posted from the Reed Shaman thread.
mukade wrote: With all due respect, perhaps this is the C&F culture that Peter Laban is referring to in the Migration thread.

One of the best reed makers produces a new site, and on the third post we are already on SomethingAwful.com.

I am guilty of often going off thread myself, and Peter's comments have made me think twice about posting randomly in the instrument forums.
Mukade
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Bang...bang

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

JS: Maybe its time to shoot this horse already.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Happy St Patrick's Day :-?
Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig duit
[Ban ack tee na fayla Pawd-rig ditch

Peace to ye all :wink:

Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
John S

Post by John S »

Would migration on the net be E-migration?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

John S wrote:Would migration on the net be E-migration?

... *ouch*... :lol:
Harry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Harry »

Talks about talks about talks...

Some of our number have a bright future in northern Irish politics methinks.

A happy St. Patrick's Day to all who are in to that sort of thing, and just a happy day to those who aren't.

Regards,

Harry.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

mukade wrote:Posted from the Reed Shaman thread.
mukade wrote: With all due respect, perhaps this is the C&F culture that Peter Laban is referring to in the Migration thread.

One of the best reed makers produces a new site, and on the third post we are already on SomethingAwful.com.

I am guilty of often going off thread myself, and Peter's comments have made me think twice about posting randomly in the instrument forums.
Mukade
Actually, it was by the second post and I am the guilty party. I do realize the purpose of the website is to address making and solving problems with reeds. However, I thought that since it was a new website which was being complimented and that the person who created it had included some entertainment links, that it was not so terribly inappropriate to also compliment his choice of entertainment links. It wasn't a random post---not quite sure what you mean by that---it was intended to convey my appreciation of the person's sense of humor. Your point is well-taken though. It is best to stay on the main topic. We have the Pub within convenient walking distance to talk about other things!
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

John S wrote:Would migration on the net be E-migration?
Does that mean we need to have an E-Wake as well??
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

go raibh maith agat, a Uilliam...agus leatsa féin... :)
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\