Irish Pub Co.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Irish Pub Co.

Post by Tyghress »

Article in Slate online:

http://www.slate.com/id/2137893/fr/nl/
Ireland's "Crack" Habit
Explaining the faux Irish pub revolution.
By Austin Kelley
Posted Thursday, March 16, 2006, at 5:44 AM ET

Ireland, as much of the world knows it, was invented in 1991. That year, the Irish Pub Company formed with a mission to populate the world with authentic Irish bars. Whether you are in Kazkhstan or the Canary Islands, you can now hear the lilt of an Irish brogue over the sound of the Pogues as you wait for your Guinness to settle. A Gaelic road sign may hang above the wooden bar and a fiddle may be lying in a corner. As you gaze around, you might think of the Irish--O, that friendly, hard-drinking, sweater-wearing people!--and smile. Your smile has been carefully calculated.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

There was a place, I've since lost the bookmark, that sold pre-fab Irish pubs for your backyard. Think a largish shed, big enough to hold 5-8 of your best friends a couple kegs under the bar.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: Irish Pub Co.

Post by Walden »

Tyghress wrote:Article in Slate online:

http://www.slate.com/id/2137893/fr/nl/
:)
Reasonable person
Walden
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

'The key to success is sincerity. Once you learn to fake that, you've got it made.' -Oscar Wilde
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

TonyHiggins wrote:'The key to success is sincerity. Once you learn to fake that, you've got it made.' -Oscar Wilde

:P :P :P :P :P
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Well, I went down to dinner and mentioned this business. We laughed a bit, but I got to thinking, it's no different than going to an ethnic restaurant for dinner. Some Thai restaurants, you have Thai waitresses in beautiful gowns and the statues and paintings are exotic. Some of these places have Mexicans cooking and possibly waiting tables. No one bats an eye.

So, I was thinking, here's opportunities for jobs: Wanted: red-haired, red-faced man to tend bar. Must be able to fake Irish brogue. Can you say, "They're always after me lucky charms."
Irish musicians: One year experience mandatory. Recorder players will be considered.

It may look peculiar seeing locals in Asia playing the tunes and having craic, but hey, just because Americans are caucasian, what's the difference?

My own preference would be for Lord of the Rings style pubs like in Bree.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
brianc

Post by brianc »

From the article:
Authenticity, apparently, is key. In answer to the question, "Why is authenticity important?" the concept states that "Sales per square foot in current authentic pubs are exceeding the U.S. average by a factor of two." The Irish Pub Company's stance on this issue is even more enigmatic: "The authenticity of the Irish pub concept stands up to scrutiny—the deeper you dig, the more interesting and attractive it becomes."
In a nutshell, it's an authentic fake.

But what else could you want after spending well more than $1,000,000 to open the 'pub in a box' ?

:boggle:
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I love this line from the article --
Where there is celebrated excess, there is a market to exploit.
Here's their web sire in case you want to order one -- Irish Pub Company

I'm going to start asking for one for Christmas.

Edited to fix the screwed up url tag.
Last edited by gonzo914 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Funny. I can see elements of those in our local pubs. But, that "Gaelic
Style" pub looks like something you'd see in Druid World at Epcot.

Good grief.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

So, I was looking at the IPCo latest projects page to find a pub they built
in NC (in case I was ever curious and wanted to see what kind of work
they did). I found one on Lake Norman, but it has the most unfortunate
name I've seen for a pub: Galway Hooker. (I know, it's a type of boat,
but still...)

Also, look how many pubs they've built in Italy & Spain. What's up w/ that?
http://www.irishpubcompany.com/pubsworldwide.htm
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Wow! Instant economics lesson plan for 5th period. THANKS.

Seriously!!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

fearfaoin wrote:Funny. I can see elements of those in our local pubs. But, that "Gaelic
Style" pub looks like something you'd see in Druid World at Epcot.

Good grief.
:lol: :lol:
The Gaelic Pub style

The Gaelic Pub captures the character of the Gaelic people, well known for their dedication to merry-making, music and craftmanship through the centuries.The rough-hewn doors, furniture and bar counters give a natural feel to the interior.

Hand-crafted metalwork fixtures complement the texture of the timber, adding a touch of finesse to the overall design.

Stories from the rich heritage of Irish folklore and mythlogy are illustrated in delicately painted wall murals, inspired by distinctively Gaelic art forms.

This pub, with its combination of natural materials and artistic traditions, provides the ideal backdrop for modern-day musicians and storytellers to recreate the Gaelic way of enjoying life, or 'craic' as it is known in Ireland.
I must say that the last word that comes to mind is "natural" when I look at those tables and walls in the top photo. I'm thinking more like epoxy resin or something.

It's hard to choose. They are all basically absolutely absurd. I'll have to go with the Traditional Shop Pub.

ImageImage
The Irish Traditional Pub Shop style

In times gone by, often a grocery of hardware store would double as a pub. Customers in town to fetch provisions would tend to take a pint of Guinness or a small whiskey to revive flagging spirits.

A corner of the shop would be set aside, with simple wooden tables and benches, a pot-belllied stove that would burn right through the winter, and wooden floors worn smooth by a thousand pairs of shuffling shoes.

Customers would sit, sip and converse surrounded by shelves clutterd with every conceivable kind of merchendise from sugar to soap, from tea to twine.

Oil lamps would usually hang suspended from the ceiling and throw their soft light on uneven walls. An upright piano, tucked away in one corner, would often lead to an evening's entertainment.
I could take some of that crap off the walls. Of course, you've paid for all that crap to put on the walls I assume. It really is enough to make a person just about physically ill! The fakery of it all. Geez!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca