Phenomenally Good Restaurants

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

gonzo914 wrote:
I am currenty working in Houston, so here's some places there.
I've eaten at all of these places but La Griglia...Kim Son (I think there are 3 in Houston now) used to be a pretty good bet there too. There's one across from Fogo De Chao on Westheimer near the Galleria area (or at least there was..it's my understanding that the economy wiped out a number of restaurants in that area)

Shame I don't live in Houston any more..would love to meet at the Duck and say hi...bah

In Dallas, Japango is one of the best sushi places I've been at. It looks like it's in a run-down Casa Ole' building, with the adobe tyles on the roof and a bricked up drive-through window. Really ramshackle looking. If a co-worker wasn't taking me, I swear I'd have never gone in the place. Inside was a whole different story, and the sushi was phenomenal.

Second up is The Sweet Basil Thai Bistro. It's an upscale and authentic thai restaurant in Denton. The food is fabulous...no Americanizing of tastes here! The "egg rolls" are authentic Po-Pia Thot with tree-ear fungus and sweet chili sauce for dipping. The Tom Kha Gai soup is chicken in a chili-coconut milk broth with just a hint of lime and fish sauce . The sweet basil chicken is sublime, with lime, basil, fresh ginger, and three different kinds of asians mushrooms! yum!

Master Grill near my work is a Fogo de Chao type churasscaria, but not nearly as good as Fogo.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

When we drive through Minneapolis we always go to this restaurant:

Da Afghan Restaurant
929 West 80th Street
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55420-1028

The last time we went I had a lamb shank which had been cooked a long time with other things around it. It was divine. Another time we had some sort of pumpkin dish that was really good and unusual to us. Everything we've ever had there has just seemed so good. The place itself is nice and comfortable but casual. It is in what seems to be a sort of off the beaten track---I don't mean dangerous, just sort of hidden away---area. But that may just be because we don't live there.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Let me put in a plug for Wheaton, MD. It's Bethesda without the class or the high prices. Among the better places: Sabang, an Indonesian place that isn't cheap by my standards, but has food that can't be beat. Then there's Dusit, a Thai place where a couple can eat for $25-30 including drinks and tip. They have the best beef with basil on the planet, although when I can get good holy basil, mine is pretty close.

Wheaton also has Malaysian, a few Vietnamese, just about every variety of Latin American, and even good ol' American food.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Wanderer wrote:
Second up is The Sweet Basil Thai Bistro. It's an upscale and authentic thai restaurant in Denton.
I was working in Denton in 2002 - 2004 at the university. That shopping center the Sweet Basil Thai Bistro is in was just starting to open up when I left, so I don't recall seeing it. We used to go to Siam House for Thai food. It's in a little shopping area on avenue C across from UNT. Not as upscale as Sweet Basil, but the homemade coconut icecream will restore the dead. Good stuff.

Have you been up to Ponder to the Ranchman's Cafe, also known as the Ponder Steakhouse? It just does not get any better than a Ponder Steakhouse steak, some mountain oysters, and a piece of buttermilk pie. I'm pretty sure Bonny and Clyde ate there.

The Duck is great. I managed to finagle a hotel at Kirby and US 59 just for it's promity to the Duck.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Redwolf wrote:Millenium, in San Francisco. Some of the most wonderful meals I've ever had (and I've eaten in a lot of wonderful places):

http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/

Don't let the fact that it's vegetarian put you off. This is gourmet dining at its very best.

Redwolf
Brilliant!! Also, the Greens in SF is wonderful. I never miss either when I'm out there.

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

gonzo914 wrote:Have you been up to Ponder to the Ranchman's Cafe, also known as the Ponder Steakhouse? It just does not get any better than a Ponder Steakhouse steak, some mountain oysters . . . .
:boggle: Mmm-hmm! Cowboy caviar! Coming soon to a testicle festival near you. :twisted:

(kids, don't fry this at home).
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

gonzo914 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

The Duck is great. I managed to finagle a hotel at Kirby and US 59 just for it's promity to the Duck.
I haven't been to Ponder, but I'll check it out now. I don't know that many good areas yet, since I haven't lived here long.

But if you'll eat mountain oysters, then you shouldn't be too squeamish to try the steak and kidney pie at the duck..it's pretty darn tasty. You'll have to tell me how session is there now...I haven't been since Lloyd passed away, and he was kind of the unofficial session leader.
Last edited by Wanderer on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My very favorite place to eat is at Murrell's Inlet, SC.

http://www.drunkenjacks.com/

Sauteed Shrimp~Drunken Jack's Style
Sauteed in Garlic Butter and Wine

It's absolutely wonderful, and the hushpuppies with honey butter.......ah, I gota quit thinking about it, now I'm hungry.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

If you're ever in Oz try Gallileo's restaurant at the Observatory hotel in Sydney - An expensive ticket to a cullinary journey you will never forget!

My current fave is right here in Leura - the post-office cafe - the chef there is masterful and the espresso is magic.

All time fave was Frogy's in Katoomba - the chef was french, drunk, sang and made lots of noise whilst creating the best Fillet Mignion I ever tasted and recommended a cabernet that made me understand how wine can take an already fabulous meal to a different planet!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Pegasus Restaurant and Taverna in Greektown, Chicago. The best for Greek food.

We have a new little cafe in the small town I work in (Elkhorn, WI) called Wildflower Cafe. They are a health-food restaurant of sorts, using organic (home grown in season), low-fat foods in interesting and delicious ways. And they have a new menu every week.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

My favorite place in Houston is Chapaultepec's. Its a total dive of a place. There maybe duct-tape on the window, the floor may slant but the food is great and they are open 24 hours a day. The perfect blend of taquaria and Tex-mex. I am so addicted to this place that I have to eat there at least once a week..ussually more......now I am hungry and have to go get somthing to eat!!!
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

Pitarra, in the Barri Gotic in Barcelona. Monkfish tail in a saffron sauce, that I still remember, 3 years on.....

http://www.pitarra.com/

b
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

The Other Place, 5th east and 3rd south in Salt Lake, is a little hole-in-the-wall Greek ma and pop operation (my favs are all hole-in-the-wall family ops). Our Lodge has a standing reservation there Monday nights before meetings.
Los Machetes, at about 26th west and 47th south in Taylorsville, is owned by an old woman from El Salvador. Try the pupusas.
Tio's mexican restaurant (another family owned) in Murray at about 56th south and 6th west. Get the Tio's combo, but come hungry.
Canton Village at 1st south and 3rd east in SLC. Another family owned operation. Great Chinese greasy-spoon. I keep going back because it reminds me of some of the small hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurants I used to eat at in Vancouver.
Incantations- Sadly, this family-op went out of business last year, but it was the very best Peruvian food this side of Peru.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »