Hearing Loss

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SusanCasler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SusanCasler »

After I spend any time practicing in the higher range of my soprano D whistle, I am keenly aware of it bothering my ears. Does anybody wear ear protection or is it recommended?
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

Susan,
I remember this topic being discussed on the board before, you should be able to find it with a search. I'm not an expert in the field, but I can say that if it hurts your ears, you're doing damage to your hearing. I don't know if hearing protection is RECOMMENDED, per se, but certainly I think it's not a bad idea, and while I haven't yet worn ear plugs while playing myself, I often do when I'm at concerts and the like.

Beth
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-I've seen at least one other post from a whistler
whose ears hurt. -Probably a a good indicator of need for ear protection.
-The British government recently issued a hearing-loss warning for pipers,and a
recommendation for ear protection. Some whistles are pretty loud, so my assumption is loud whistling without protection could also lead to hearing loss.-No surprise, as a Canadian study of Inuit youngsters in a seal hunting culture showed hearing loss from exposure to as little as 7-8 nearby rifle shots while growing up. Ears are tender!
rossmpfc13

Post by rossmpfc13 »

Well, I guess that this comes to one loud, blaring, obvious conclusion, as it were....

IF IT'S LOUD, WEAR EARPLUGS!

You have just read a Ross's 'duh' statement. Thank you for your time.
-Ross
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, better safe than sorry. Especially
playing a loud high D in an enclosed
space.
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

For plugs that evenly attenuate the sound across the wavelengths, check http://www.etymotic.com/
These plugs are sold for more by other folks, and are a good starter for musician's plugs. Etymotic are the people who make the sound-damping inserts for custom-molded plugs.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have had to limit what tunes I play because the upper octave B hurts a lot, and even the upper octave A hurts sometimes, depending on what whistle I'm using. In fact, I just ordered a Dixon mezzo A to see if that will allow me to play without pain, the same tunes the rest of you play. I can't imagine how anyone plays those high A's and B's without it hurting the ears. It also inspires me to practice more on the low D, since that doesn't hurt. But it's also much harder to play, and you can't just stick one in the pocket and go. I almost quit playing in my first month because there are so many popular tunes that go high, and it seemed futile to continue.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I tried to order some earplugs but the checkout wasn't working correctly. I guess I'll try the phone number tomorrow.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Why don't you get a softer whistle, or a low whistle? Playing with ear plugs is no fun.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

claudine, hearing loss is no fun :sad:
There are plenty of options to help reduce the sound levels... and still maintain comfort for the person wearing the protection.
I suggest you start off with cotton balls to see if you get the results you need. It's inexpensive and you can vary the amount protection by how tightly you wrap them. If that's not enough, you can get a package of disposable foam ear plugs at a cost of a few pennies each. They can be reused a few times and usually provide more attenuation than any other plug.
The barbed looking plugs similar to swimmers ear plugs can be cleaned with alcohol and reused many times. They don't provide as much attenuation as the foam but the cord makes them harder to loose and they are easier to insert and remove between tunes.
Ear plugs are available in many places. Drug stores, music stores, safety equipment stores and most hardware stores like The Home Depot or Lowes, usually found in the safety equipment section.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I've used foam ear plugs before in a work environment and I have a lot of trouble with them. I know that I have a small amount of hearing loss already in my right ear but I don't know from what, exactly, as I don't really have many loud activities and I found this out before whistling.

I figure $10 (for the plugs) is a small investment to give something like this a shot. I do plan on getting some and I will post about them when I try them.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Huh ??

:wink:
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

Most hardware stores carry the disposable foam kind that work well. Gun dealers have the higher tech kind. I use the foam ones for every whistle I own except for my Hoover narrow bore.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

On 2002-08-14 10:35, ysgwd wrote:
Most hardware stores carry the disposable foam kind that work well. Gun dealers have the higher tech kind. I use the foam ones for every whistle I own except for my Hoover narrow bore.
Do you also provide ear plugs for all the non-whistlers in your house? :>)
Mike
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Is the earplug website down or is it just blocked here at work?