O'Brien Whistle, A masterpiece for serious players...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

shadeclan wrote: Does anybody know if he will make a whistle in the key of "A" on request? I see that it's not a key he normally makes.
Best answer: ask him. I asked a while back, and David said that the tubing he uses wouldn't support an A. I made an A tube for my O'Brien and proved him right - the bell tone is barely audible.

He's branching out, though. Check with him.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

I asked David this very question. He reported that a new head was being designed for the lower keys. We will all wait with baited breath for the release of this sure to be success...

WTA
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

William,

It's quite charming to see someone so pleased with their new whistle. I can relate as I am recently gob-smacked by a Bernard Overton Low D I picked up second hand. :D

I'll have to agree with you. Mr. O'Brien makes some very nice whistles, with unique character, and a great value in his price range. The 5 body set is a particularly good value.

Enjoy,
--
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
William T. Anderson

Loren,

It really is impossible for me to express the essence of what I am experiencing via these O'Brien pieces. To call them "tin" or "penny" is a massive, grave injustice to the craftmanship and invention that dovetails with the spilling over of soul as breath and art and spirit become one.
Let those who have ears let them hear what the Spirit of the Lord is saying to His creation...
"You will have songs as in the night when you keep the festival, And gladness of heart as when one marches to the sound of the flute, To go to the mountain of the LORD, to the Rock of Israel."
Isaiah 30:29
The Holy Bible
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

I've got a D/C set. They're nice, the C is nicely balanced especially, but they're not THAT great, IMHO. Maybe they're a little earlier attempts, but i got mine right after Jessie wrote the review. Ornaments on the D are kind of sluggish and the whistle feels kind of clunky to me... maybe good for slow air type stuff but that's not usually what i play. I'd be willing to trade if anyone has anything interesting they want to part with.
there is no end to the walking
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I feel the same about mine.
Same circumstance.

In fact, I am reading all the recent reviews with a sense of amaze.
Not to be unfair to the maker, but probably just me and my own preferences.

M
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

When I reviewed the O'Brien I had the benefit of several heads and a couple of his bodies to work with.

Some of his head designs at the time I felt were better than others:

--there was a head with extreme backpressure and resistance which played the best of the original heads he sent me, very sweet, great tonal character, no air at all in the sound, and you could also just thrash the hell out of it--it would take very aggressive play. The problem with this head is that the volume just wasn't adequate for even a small session.

--there was a head with a larger windway and a much more open, free-blowing feel. Volume was still low but a bit better, and there was a little air in the sound. I believe this head is similar to the one Jessie had for review.

There were a couple of each style with minor differences in design.

I felt his whistle had great promise, especially if he could get the volume up and keep the high backpressure. He did--he sent me yet another head which was the best of both worlds, volume now session suitable, about the same as a Burke, but still a sweet sound with no air, and you could still thrash the hell out of it if you like to play that way.

So my experience with David O'Brien is that he's a maker willing to go to extremes--even to the point of redesign--to get it right. The whistle I wound up with is great...I love my Burkes but I must admit I think this is even a better whistle than the Burkes, because it'll take much more aggressive play, but is every bit as sweet and easy to play.

On a different note, I've known folks who write like William. I'd be interested in knowing where he's from...I've always believed this style of writing to be a regional thing. He's probably writing like he's written all of his life, and doesn't realize that to some folks it comes across as a bit over the top.

Best wishes to all,

--James
toddyboy50

Post by toddyboy50 »

Hi....anyone know what the name of the tune is for the maple sound clip on the O'brien website - http://www.obrienwhistles.com/maple.html ? I'd like to find it in abc format. Thanks - Tod
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

William,
I'd be interested in knowing--what material did David use for a fipple? He uses several materials.

My set is clear Lucite, which gives it a beautiful tone. I don't think the Lucite was very popular, though, as he's discontinued it.

My set is E, Eb, and Bb. I ordered them at a time when I was completing my set with off-keys. You've about convinced me to go back and order some more keys. :)

The Bb is very quiet in the first octave. If David is designing a new mouthpiece for mezzo and alto whistles, he may want to consider switching the Bb tone body to the new mouthpiece.
William T. Anderson

Peeplj and all,

Over the top is the perfect way to describe my experience with the O'Brien whistles. They are better that any other that I've laid lip, hand and breath to. Are they the best, I am not here to even enter into such a discussion. For me, this tool is a part of the "art" and expression of a dimension of who I am as a artesian and spiritual being and I am now able to express what I have been birthing/sensing/feeling in my sprit all my life.
The O'Brien is not a toy in any sense of the word as I might describe some of the very inexpensive whistles, though some may be good my experience has left me sadly unfulfilled. I have also used some expensive whistles, I own two Albas and a I have a Chieftan on the way (O'Brien doesn't make low end whistles yet but working on it) and yet to compare the feel and tone and overall playability not even they, for "me" give me the feel, tone and reaction that I am needing to express what I am imagining though they are very good pieces.
I also must say that it is not my intention to sway anyone to do anything. I have been on a musical journey for over 25 years and in that time, when I find the instrument/tool that makes me explode when I create, record and perform, I make sure that my "brothers and sisters" of the craft know that I may save them finances and what is even more, precious time in their pursuits of finding the "perfect" tool of expression.
The O'Brien Whistles are each a work of art in them selves. The head, when studied is an impossible feat of engineering. The bodies may at a quick glace seem simple, but to find perfect pitch in anything is without question a miracle and a wonder. Each piece is a work unto itself and what is a true blessing is if I find a "issue" with any part I can send it to the master craftsmen and he can adjust what is needed.
Working with the craftsmen is yet another praise to be heralded. At every turn David was humble yet confident, professional yet social and most of all a man of his word, a value we all know is worth its weight in gold. A true man of integrity and a man I will invest my closely guarded finances.
To address a personal question I was born and raised in the Vancouver area of BC, Canada but have, since the completion of my education, travel extensively, writing, recording and performing music.
My overall highest regard goes to my brother of the arts David O'Brien and with all confidence give him my endorsement and my gratitude.

William T. Anderson
Last edited by William T. Anderson on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

William, I hope I have given you no offense.

I like the way you write! It has a very polite yet enthusiastic old-world feel which I find charming.

And I agree with you whole-heartedly on the O'Brien whistle. The one I have is stunningly good.

--James
William T. Anderson

James,

At no turn have I taken offence with you or any. Being a student of not only music but also anthropology and ancient and modern religion I often loose sight of what generation I'm in... LOL!
Maybe a sprinkle of philosophy may be in order. I experienced a epiphany many years ago... "Live every moment as though it were my last and freely share the Love of God that has been shared freely to me."
So you see each thought, word and punctuation as I write has meaning and value in the communication of this philosophy.

In His service and yours,

William
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

William T. Anderson wrote:as a artesian
Well... Is that somewhere in Spain? I looked up Artesia on google earth but couldn't find it. :(
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
William T. Anderson

Artesian is a word denoting "flow" or "fluidity". I use it in the context of a person who music, spirit, creativity and the like flow freely. This word is also used to describe a free flowing well. This is an adjective, I am not familiar with its usage as a noun outside of the description I've used it.
I am blessed by your pursuits to understand words and language. From my perspective, music and language are differed only in their reception and interpretation by others.
I am though challenged by this question in the relation to the context of this thread.

WTA
Last edited by William T. Anderson on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

GaryKelly wrote:
William T. Anderson wrote:as a artesian
Well... Is that somewhere in Spain? I looked up Artesia on google earth but couldn't find it. :(
Spain? No, you were on the right track in thinking Hispanic, but evidently didn't look far enough. It's in New Mexico:
http://www.artesiachamber.com/
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato