My first time...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

My first time...

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Dear C&F

You always hope your first time will be special.

I've had a blast on a variety of flutes but somehow hadn't had the opportunity to "go Bb". Even when I once visited Casey Burns' shop I just missed John Skelton's flute.

But Flook was in town last night and Brian Finnegan offered a trial on his Bb Grinter after the show. The flute was very generous and patient and there was no awkwardness or discomfort. I felt like a veteran after only a few puffs.

Sometimes it seems absurd how much you can spend and how long you can wait but when you put your lips to an instrument like that, it all seems worth it.

Sincerely,
Aaron
Jumbuk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: My first time...

Post by Jumbuk »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Dear C&F

The flute was very generous and patient and there was no awkwardness or discomfort. I felt like a veteran after only a few puffs.
You forgot to mention the powerful growling Hard Low D!

(With apologies to Gary Kelly)
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Jumbuk wrote:
AaronMalcomb wrote:Dear C&F

The flute was very generous and patient and there was no awkwardness or discomfort. I felt like a veteran after only a few puffs.
You forgot to mention the powerful growling Hard Low D!

(With apologies to Gary Kelly)
Wouldn't it be a powerful growling Hard Low Bb? :lol:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

AaronMalcomb wrote:I felt like a veteran after only a few puffs.
Ahhhh. Marlboro Country.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:lol:!!!!!!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I got a few toots on John's Bb right after he got it. Talk about feeling all mystical!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
eilam

Post by eilam »

Grada payed here in town, about a week ago, got to play Allan's Grinter. what a nice flute !
small and user friendly, then he came with this new Bansuri (SP) and it was too big for me, i can play my Bb easily, but this one was too much.
our C&F friend Alan played it great !!
e.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I had the chance to play a lefty Grinter Bb last year.

. . . and couldn't get a peep out of it. :oops: Ah well, all a matter of getting used to something.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

This flute was all embouchure and took very little air. Whether it was me, the brief time I spent with it, Grinter's embouchure cut... I can't say for sure without starting a row.

Afterwards I also got to go "D" on the Doyle and the "G#" on a bamboo Olwell... :o

Probably the highlight of the show was Brian playing a kaval piece on his Rhiannon G flute.

Cheers,
Aaron
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

Jon C. wrote: Wouldn't it be a powerful growling Hard Low Bb? :lol:
Of course! But the key is not a parameter in the flute review template.

Time to update the template, Gary!

PS I went back and reread the flute review thread and laughed out loud yet again. There is something mad about the same text skeleton repeating with slight variations as readers try to take it places it was never intended to go. Thanks again Gary for making a point in such a clever and humourous way.
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

That's cool Aaron! Brian also let me and a friend take a spin in his flutes after the Mt. Vernon show Sunday. What a lovely, generous, guy! He was asking about places to have tunes after the show - too bad we didn't know the town very well!

I loved that Grinter as well for the few minutes I had with it. My first Bb experience was with that same friend's Olwell. Blackwood, unlined, no-tuning slide - as lovely and sonorous as you'd expect. The Grinter seemed to like the same 'soft-lip' that the Olwell did, though I did notice a certain clarity to the lined-head of the Grinter. Only another couple years for my Wilkes to finished....ugh.

I'm trying to head out Casey's way soon to try a leftly Bb he's working on, his have a great reputation.

Cheers,
- Ryan
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

AaronMalcomb wrote:This flute was all embouchure and took very little air. Whether it was me, the brief time I spent with it, Grinter's embouchure cut... I can't say for sure without starting a row.

Cheers,
Aaron
I have a McGee Bb MDT in the shop here (tough life I know) that gives me the same impression. You'd think they'd want more air and a more forceful airstream but they seem to repond best to just the opposite. I wonder if that's true of low flutes in general. I had an Aebi Bb come through the store about a year ago that was the same way. I have very limited experience with these big sticks. Man they sound great though.

I have a Low-A coming and am pretty psyched about it. I've been waiting almost a year...yeah, I actually got on a waiting list. I don't know how people stand it. :lol:

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Henke

Post by Henke »

I spoke with Kevin Ryan about Bb flutes a while ago. He had just recieved a keyed Grinter Bb. Sadly it was still in the playing in period so he hadn't brought it with him.
He said that when most people tried out the Bb flute they would automatically blow really hard and force lots of air into the flute, with the result that they'd go blue in the face and not much sound would come out.
Gentle, with a tight embouchure is the way to go.

I'm still eagerly awaiting my first go at a Bb flute.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Henke wrote:Gentle, with a tight embouchure is the way to go.
That's true. It took me a few days to figure that out when I got my (totally wonderful!) Burns Bb.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Doc Jones wrote: I have a McGee Bb MDT in the shop here (tough life I know) that gives me the same impression. You'd think they'd want more air and a more forceful airstream but they seem to repond best to just the opposite. I wonder if that's true of low flutes in general. I had an Aebi Bb come through the store about a year ago that was the same way. I have very limited experience with these big sticks. Man they sound great though.

I have a Low-A coming and am pretty psyched about it. I've been waiting almost a year...yeah, I actually got on a waiting list. I don't know how people stand it. :lol:

Doc
Who's the fluthier?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.