Migration?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Time to shut this and migrate to the other place

yes, please
32%
no, this is fine here
68%

Total votes: 66

Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

John Mulhern wrote:
I thought a bunch of people already left this place. A bunch of people got mad at everything. I'm sure they would rather have quite a large number of us stay here rather pollute other forums, from their comments.
No, Cynth. The "shutting down this forum if you don't behave" card was played once too often. Information access is a tough lil item to squash in an IT age...and through Jeff's generous efforts, we have a second option if Dale decides to leave the ballgame, take his ball & go home...and now we have a third.
I'm not sure what you are saying "No" to.

A bunch of people did get mad and some sort of left and some did leave---there have been several bunches, perhaps that is what is being questioned? I am not refering to incidents related to the starting of the forum Jeff has been running at all, a forum I visit to read the posts quite regularly. The people that got mad the time I am thinking of seemed to be mad at the poor quality of other people in the forum. This forum was not closed down at the time I am thinking of. And thus my surprise that it should be suggested that "we" would all go together to another forum. I just assumed they would prefer to have other company.

I do have to disagree with your criticism of Dale's management. However, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Peter Laban wrote:Fair enough, you have been a bit harsh in the past though.
Respectfully, this would be the opinion of someone who doesn't own my Inbox.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

anima wrote:
Y'know Peter, I tried to do just that at uilleannforum. A fat lot of posts I saw from you and other "serious pipers".

The truth is pipers don't really know what they want, or at least I haven't been able to figure it out.

Jeff
I know you did, and much appreciated, but unfortunately your forum by and large replicated C&F in membership and their posting behaviour.And that is probably it's greatest weakness. Not a lot of discussion ever goes on there so forgive me if there wasn't a lot to respond to or discuss.

My hope would be that with the complete membership of NPU automatically signed up the new forums would attract a different section of the piping community, presently not using discussionforums, with maybe an opportunity to discuss different subject matter and access particular experience and expertise not available on other forums.
mukade
antispam: No

Post by mukade »

I tend to read more than I post, so it would be nice to see some of the NPU big boys posting on that forum.

I hope NPU realise how much work it takes to moderate a forum. I know many people dislike moderation, but the majority of free forums I have used degenerated into troll pits. A bad forum can seriously damage the image of the organisation or individual who runs it..

For a start, it looks like they are allowing guest posters. That is just asking for trouble.

Mukade
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Peter Laban wrote:
anima wrote:
Y'know Peter, I tried to do just that at uilleannforum. A fat lot of posts I saw from you and other "serious pipers".

The truth is pipers don't really know what they want, or at least I haven't been able to figure it out.

Jeff
but unfortunately your forum by and large replicated C&F in membership and their posting behaviour.And that is probably it's greatest weakness. Not a lot of discussion ever goes on there so forgive me if there wasn't a lot to respond to or discuss.
... and who will make up the population of posters on NPU? My hunch is, the same folks that post here and at UPDF. There's just not enough Uilleann Pipers world wide (good or not good) where you would get an entirely isolated population of forum visitors who would make up the body of contributors to NPU's message board.

Also, if it is a non moderated forum, I imagine things will get far more out of hand than they are here or over at Jeff's board. In orde for good topics to appear on the boards, one must post them. Waiting for good topics to post themselves is "... a long wait for a train that don't come".
billh

Post by billh »

I think the guest posting probably is a bad idea and will have to go, as soon as someone or some spam-bot discovers the NPU forum.

Possibly limiting access to NPU members, and using 'real names', will produce a degree of self-moderation. Sometimes one's behavior is influenced by the venue. One can hope, anyhow.
myrddinemrys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:... and who will make up the population of posters on NPU? My hunch is, the same folks that post here and at UPDF.
Especially so, now that the address has been broadcasted publicly.

If some people are serious about having what Mr. Laban is referring to as serious discussion, then maybe establishing a group whose membership is based on only invites, like they do with some Yahoo groups. I understand wanting to avoid certain elements of discussion, and I can respect that.

PHPBB has a group feature as well. I personally haven't played with it on my site, but I can only assume that members of a group class would only be able to access a particular forum, and not regular users. I am doing this with another site I am building, and it works out fairly well, but it's not using PHPBB. Just some ideas for you.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

myrddinemrys wrote: If some people are serious about having what Mr. Laban is referring to as serious discussion, then maybe establishing a group whose membership is based on only invites, like they do with some Yahoo groups. I understand wanting to avoid certain elements of discussion, and I can respect that.
In fact such an invite only forum was established six months or so ago. It has been thriving since. Not high traffic but particularly focussed, it's the place Kevin referred to re. posting soundclips. It's a good instrument for exchanging information and thought, music and recordings.
BzzzzT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BzzzzT »

Forums are open places and like it or not the experienced players must put up with the new and less knowledgeable pipers. I don't think having a forum on NPU will solve this problem to any significant degree. Maybe it will attract people who don't normally post to forums. Though many people are not interested in posting to forums, and I don't think NPU will change this much. You either like it or you don't.

After reading a couple forums posting quality must be worked toward. I see many experienced players not asking questions or starting many subjects, not just commenting. Many knowledgeable pipers can share more of what they have learned and start thoughtful discussions that are interesting and informative. This A+ forum that some people dream of will not happen by itself in my opinion, whether it be C&F or NPU. It takes quality self participation to increase members who would not normally consider an internet forum. Lets share some info and start some topics to talk about interesting aspects of piping, and not just ask questions.

- Jason
Peter Laban wrote:
anima wrote:

Jeff
I know you did, and much appreciated, but unfortunately your forum by and large replicated C&F in membership and their posting behaviour.And that is probably it's greatest weakness. Not a lot of discussion ever goes on there so forgive me if there wasn't a lot to respond to or discuss.

My hope would be that with the complete membership of NPU automatically signed up the new forums would attract a different section of the piping community, presently not using discussionforums, with maybe an opportunity to discuss different subject matter and access particular experience and expertise not available on other forums.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

My thoughts, for what they're worth:

1. The C&F uilleann forum works well, but isn't perfect. It's also good resource for free publicity - few of us don't use it to advertise our clubs, piping events, pipes for sale, CD, etc.
2. Jeff's forum - the reed and pipemaking section is, for me at least, it's best feature. It's my first stop (in preference to C&F) whenever I have a question about reeds. I read it more than contribute to it. Sorry Jeff, I don't consult the calendar.
3. The NPU forum won't be any different from the existing 2 forums because the people who don't have time to contribute to the existing forums won't have time to contribute to the NPU forum just because it's provided by the NPU.
PJ
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

You mean I wasn't invited to the Invite-Only board? <sniffle>

It was odd to go to the NPU site and find out there was already an account in my name when I tried to register. Kind of nice, though.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Peter Laban wrote: In fact such an invite only forum was established six months or so ago. It has been thriving since. Not high traffic but particularly focussed, it's the place Kevin referred to re. posting soundclips. It's a good instrument for exchanging information and thought, music and recordings.
Peter, not to criticize, but it seems from your statements that the invite-only forum has already established a place for you to go for serious discussion, sound clips, etc. What would be the impetus for the uninvited to go to a different forum with the same problems as the current one? If the NPU limited admission (or at least posting ability) to paid members, it would filter some of the noisier posters, but only until they paid membership dues. Also, what interest would the members of the private forum have to go the NPU forum if they already have a forum to fill their need?

dave boling
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

In fact such an invite only forum was established six months or so ago. It has been thriving since. Not high traffic but particularly focussed, it's the place Kevin referred to re. posting soundclips. It's a good instrument for exchanging information and thought, music and recordings.[/quote]

All this kinda reminds me of the following anecdote:

An airliner crashed near a desert island. Only one passenger, a Ukrainian, made it to safety there. Years later, a boat passing by notices his campfire and stops to rescue him. After the initial relief of being rescued, the sole survivor is asked about how he survived the crash and subsequent ordeal on the bleak island. The man gladly shows his rescuers how he made a shelter for himself, dug a well, fashioned fishing implements out of local materials, etc. At the end of the tour the rescue party notices two church-like buildings with crosses atop palm leafed onion domes and all. The rescue party is amazed and, after complimenting him on his handiwork, asks him why in the world did he make TWO churches when he was the only guy on the desert island. The Ukrainian becomes animated and, pointing to one, answers, "This is the church I go to," and then, pointing to the other, bellows, "AND THIS IS THE CHURCH I DON'T GO TO!"
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

daveboling wrote: What would be the impetus for the uninvited to go to a different forum with the same problems as the current one?

dave boling
As I said, I would hope that the NPU forum would attract traffic from NPU members who at this time do not post to this forum. There are plenty of good pipers out there with valuable expereinces and perspectives that never get aired here.

The 'private' forum is a general Irish Music forum which includes pipers as well as other instrumentalists and discusses a variety of subjects.
anima

Post by anima »

Peter Laban wrote: In fact such an invite only forum was established six months or so ago. It has been thriving since. Not high traffic but particularly focussed, it's the place Kevin referred to re. posting soundclips. It's a good instrument for exchanging information and thought, music and recordings.
Well that's just great for those folks who were deemed cool enough to be invited to the party - I guess the rest of us schlumps just get to sit here and pine away until we too are invited to the show. Yes, I know I am being snide, but in reality, your "invite only" forum only benefits those folks who are members - the rest of us see no benifit from it and thus could really care less. Open forums such as this and uilleannforum offer their information to all regardless of ability, experience, race, color, creed, whatever. For those of us outside of Ireland they are invaluable.

Sure, there are some jokers on the forums - life is full of them, but there is more good information than bad in general.

Reminds me of this old Far side cartoon

Jeff