white out

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

white out

Post by Jack »

Uh...today at the store I was asked to show my ID before I was able to buy white out, in order to prove that I am over 18.

What I don't understand is why people under 18 are not allowed to sniff it and get high, but if you're over 18, that's perfectly fine. :-?

For the record, I'm not going to sniff it, but I know that's why it's illegal for school-aged children to buy it now, which is utterly ridiculous since many (or most) people who use white out are in school.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Some states also make it illegal to sell certain art supplies to children due to graffiti. It may not just be a get high and die thing.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jack

Post by Jack »

I was also shocked when I first moved here when I was forced to prove my age to buy NyQuil. Apparently NyQuil is good to get high with, too. :-?

I've never been high in my life, but if I wanted to get high now, I'd surely know how--white out, superglue, spray paint, and NyQuil!
missy

Post by missy »

Cran - anything with psuedoephedrine in it is now behind the counter, and limited to amount, need to be over 18, and eventually you'll have to sign for it (Ohio law, and Kentucky will soon follow).

Three people in a household with allergies is NOT fun!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

missy wrote:Cran - anything with psuedoephedrine in it is now behind the counter, and limited to amount, need to be over 18, and eventually you'll have to sign for it (Ohio law, and Kentucky will soon follow).

Yes, the lady told me when I bought the NyQuil that I could only buy two bottles, but if I wanted more I should buy two then come back and buy two more, then two more, etc.

I learned from friends later that people use NyQuil to make meth with...
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

missy wrote:Cran - anything with psuedoephedrine in it is now behind the counter, and limited to amount, need to be over 18, and eventually you'll have to sign for it (Ohio law, and Kentucky will soon follow).

You know all those small children with meth labs in their parents' basements. . .
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Cranberry wrote:I was also shocked when I first moved here when I was forced to prove my age to buy NyQuil. Apparently NyQuil is good to get high with, too. :-?
When I was a young child, we lived in a small town, and when we'd go for walks on the last street in town the whole road would be littered with NyQuil bottles. It was a form of alcohol that teenagers could legally buy.
Reasonable person
Walden
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Shhh! Go to Sam's Club. They limit you to 2 packages, but they're SAM'S size . . .
emmline

Post by emmline »

Did you know that white-out was invented by Betsy Nesmith Graham, the mother of Mike Nesmith of the Monkees?
Jack

Post by Jack »

emmline wrote:Did you know that white-out was invented by Betsy Nesmith Graham, the mother of Mike Nesmith of the Monkees?
No, I did not know that. Now that I do know it, however, I must admit, my entire outlook on the world has been changed forever.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I thought this was going to be that joke that went the rounds when computers first became common in offices:

How do you know when a blond has been using the word processor?

There's white-out all over the screen.

(I'm blond so I'm allowed to tell blond jokes!)
Charlene
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote:Did you know that white-out was invented by Betsy Nesmith Graham, the mother of Mike Nesmith of the Monkees?
I was wondering what this thread was about until I read Emms post. I knew the Nesmith story.
Over here it's called "Tippex".

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Martin Milner

Re: white out

Post by Martin Milner »

Cranberry wrote: What I don't understand is why people under 18 are not allowed to sniff it and get high, but if you're over 18, that's perfectly fine. :-?
Once you have turned 18 you are assumed to have gained control over your own actions, be a responsible adult, and to show some common sense.

Prior to that the State attempts to protect to some degree you from your own self-destructive instincts.
Last edited by Martin Milner on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
missy

Re: white out

Post by missy »

Martin Milner wrote: Basically, people over 18 are expected to demonstrate some common sense.
.....yeah....right...... and we all play whistle!!!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

In Edinburgh, the tipple of choice in Lawnmarket used to be Bel-Air - a hairspray.