Phenomenally Good Restaurants

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Phenomenally Good Restaurants

Post by Tyghress »

Please post the name and location of your favorite restaurant...and maybe details of your most recent trip.

Multiple entries are fine (you may want to put them in seperate messages).

I've had such spectacular meals in all sorts of restaurants, and thought it would be fun to share gustatorial delights.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

To start it off...the reason I began this thread was to share details about one of my favorite restaurants in CT, a place called O'Rourke's Diner in Middletown CT. Its a true 'greasy spoon' sort of diner with a bit of a twist, the guy who owns it and is the chef is on par with any gourmet chef I've met. His name is Brian (may be spelled Bryan), and he slings the most incredible chow I've ever had the pleasure to eat.

When you sit down the waiter gives you a couple of slices of poppyseed cake, maybe a bit of a marzipan pound cake or a muffin. All baked on the premises, I might add.

Yesterday Tyghre had Irish stew ($7.95 for a bowl with brown bread), and I had the Vegetarian January breakfast: scrambled eggs with broccoli rabe, sweet potato fries, grilled tofu, barley with walnuts and a corn muffin ($11.95)

When I leave O'Rourke's I have a smile of utter contentment.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
missy

Post by missy »

well -

In Cincinnati, one of our more "famous" restaurants is Montgomery Inn. Ribs. Great ribs. So good - that when Bob Hope was alive, he would have them flown in for his parties.

Another favorite restaurant is the Houston Inn - between Mason and Lebanon, OH. It has a fantastic salad bar with everything and anything you could think of. And great prime rib. And frog legs.

Another favorite hasn't opened back up yet, I don't think. The Acme Oyster Bar in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Love sitting there eating plates of raw oysters.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Well, I guess I'll have to boost Garry's Grill, which is the best (and only) place for a decent breakfast out in my town (Severna Park.)
They serve a pretty good lunch and dinner as well, in a narrow but deep shopping center space, where the kitchen runs along the left side, and booths line the right.
The Breakfast Special (2 eggs, fried potatoes, a couple slabs of toast,) will hold a typical person through lunch.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Sunbreak Cafe in Auburn, WA, USA. Wonderful breakfasts, but be sure to get the half-order; the full-sized order is enough for three people.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Whistle Stop Ale House in Renton, WA, USA. Great food, and lots of regional microbrews and imports on tap.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Golden Dynasty Chinese Restaurant in Kent, WA, USA. It's not big on looks/atmosphere, but the food and service is wonderful. We've been regulars for nearly 10 years.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Both in Woodinville, WA
Golden Goat
Herb Farm
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Millenium, in San Francisco. Some of the most wonderful meals I've ever had (and I've eaten in a lot of wonderful places):

http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/

Don't let the fact that it's vegetarian put you off. This is gourmet dining at its very best.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jack

Post by Jack »

I don't eat in restaurants, but if I did, I think I would like Redwolf's.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Redwolf wrote:Millenium, in San Francisco. Some of the most wonderful meals I've ever had (and I've eaten in a lot of wonderful places):

http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/

Don't let the fact that it's vegetarian put you off. This is gourmet dining at its very best.

Redwolf
Yes, very good food. Lovely place.
/Bloomfield
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

The Peking Duck House in Palo Alto, CA.

It has a weird location on a corner - across the street from a Jack in the Box and a Kentucky Fried Chicken. And the building itself looks like it started life as house or small shop. Not the most promising location for a destination restaurant.

But it's got some of the best Peking Duck and hand-pulled noodles I've ever tasted (our family concensus is that there's a place in Shenzen, China that's a *little* better for the duck, but it was a close call), at ridiculously low prices for the quality and quantity of food. Their dry-fried beans are so good that my wife (who does a mean dry-fried bean herself) always insists on ordering them. Everything else we've tried on the menu was of comparable quality.

Our family of four Chinese food fanatics can have a fantastic meal (with some leftovers) for under $70. Highly recommended.
Last edited by DCrom on Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

My job takes me on the road 50 weeks a year. And since I'm on expenses, I could eat at some pretty fine places all the time on someone else's dime. But I much prefer the places that have good, honest yeoman's fare. I'd rather have a good chicken fried steak or scotch egg than Fogo de Chão.

I am currenty working in Houston, so here's some places there.

McGonigel's Mucky Duck -- Best Scotch eggs I've ever had. The rarebit is also tasty. I hope to be dining there tomorrow. (And there's tunes on Wednesday, too.)

Hickory Hollow -- I haven't been there in a while because chicken fried steak and mashed taters have had to come off my diet, but they used to have first rate chicken fried steak in several sizes, the largest of which they compare to a saddle blanket. Even the small ones are served on pizza pans instead of plates.

Magnolia Bar and Grill -- A little more high end, but not over-priced like a Landry's. The eggplant royal (eggplant stuffed with shrimp and crab) is ecxellent, as is the lump crab au gratin. Can't decide? Have the Magnolia Dinner, which includes both. Lost of good stuff under $16 a plate.

Katz's Deli -- Reuben sandwiches the size of your head.

La Griglia -- OK, sometimes I like to go high end. It is, after all, someone else's money. The Veal alla Toscana is to die for. And they have Pimm's cups.

Has anyone flown through Provdence, RI, lately? There used to be an excellent restaurant called, I believe, The Federal Tavern in the airport. It had great stuffed quahog. I haven't been through there in 4 years, but for airport food, it was top notch. I was just wondering if it's still there.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

And when in Ohio -- Skyline Chili, which features the best chili dogs in all Christendom.

And the Classic 3-Way . . . Image

And for those of you who are watching your carbs, there's the Lo-Carb Coney Bowl: Skyline’s original secret recipe chili, three skyline hot dogs and a mound of mild cheddar cheese. Only 3 net carbohydrates per serving! (Sorry, no picture available, but you can imagine three dogs stuck in a bowl of chili with cheese stacked on top.)

Approved by the American Heart Association it ain't, but damn this stuff's good.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Luci St. Paul Minnesota.
Origami Minneapolis Minnesota.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."