Your Local Pub

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

burnsbyrne wrote:I don't know if the link will work but here it is.
Very nice! I like all the wood!
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

Dubai...where have I heard of that? Oh, I know, I saw a great show on PBS on Dubai and all the beautiful golf courses, playing in the middle of the night because of the heat, and the world's only 7 star hotel. Is that also where they are now building what will be the world's tallest building?
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

It's not exactly local, being in Aptos, but here's where we have our monthly sessions:

http://www.britanniaarms.com/aptos/

It's really a nice place...reminds me of some of the pubs we went to in England.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

We don't have one. WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH :(

We're eat up with Old Time and Bluegrass but nary a pub in site.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
CHCBrown

Post by CHCBrown »

Miwokhill wrote:Dubai...where have I heard of that? Oh, I know, I saw a great show on PBS on Dubai and all the beautiful golf courses, playing in the middle of the night because of the heat, and the world's only 7 star hotel. Is that also where they are now building what will be the world's tallest building?
Don't know about the world's tallest building, but the Burj al Arab is reputed to the world's only 7 star hotel.

I've driven through Dubai, not stopped, and only know about the pub by reports from the Riyadh RFC (who ought to know a good pub when they see one). It is interesting to note that Dubai has, not one, but TWO English language radio stations, which gives one a sense of its cultural leanings.

The skyline would be impressive anywhere (if you are impressed by glass and steel towers) but seen from the Emirates Highway (a ring road, outside the city) rising up out of the desert, it looks a bit like I fancy Oz must.
"Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light ….”
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Here's The Bodhran, sorry about the cheesy description.

http://anbodhran.com/page/o2ry/Live_Irish_Music.html

http://anbodhran.com/page/o2rv/Home.html

Our last session is coming up there on the 19th, since the bar was just sold and the new owner is not planning on continuing it. The session's been going on there over 10 years, I think. :cry:

Justine
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Cranberry wrote:I know this might not be politically correct to say, but when I look at pictures of the insides of pubs, my reaction is often "I've never seen so many white people in my life!"

Are there any prominent (or not so prominent) black or hispanic or Asian pub musicians?
First; I know we are quickly becoming a minority, but you don't have to fear "white" people. Some of us are friendly and open minded. :D

Nextly; I don't see many "white" musicians playing Latin music, or at least playing it well. But.. yee-gads! It's cultural, not political. :poke:

And lastly and with great trepidation I will ask: What about Afro-Celtic music? :tomato:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

We have speakeasys in Kalamazoo. They may call themselves pubs but they're just being pretentious. I'm worried this pretentiousness may bring wrath upon us.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

avanutria wrote:A couple more photos from Piper Down:

http://p.vtourist.com/2316747-Piper_Dow ... e_City.jpg
http://p.vtourist.com/2316746-Piper_Dow ... e_City.jpg

I don't have any photos of local pubs here, they're incredibly smoky so I haven't been in many.
Piper Down doesn't host any regular Irish music anymore - the aren't nearly as "olde world" as they like to portray. Dave the owner is a nice enough bloke, but much more of a shrewd businessman than a supporter of the local arts.

That being said, the music has moved to The Republican just up the street. It's still going strong every monday night.

http://www.therepublican1916.com/index2.htm
alurker

Post by alurker »

Cranberry wrote:I know this might not be politically correct to say, but when I look at pictures of the insides of pubs, my reaction is often "I've never seen so many white people in my life!"

Are there any prominent (or not so prominent) black or hispanic or Asian pub musicians?

Yes:
http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/CG_Moriyasu_2.html

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/05154682 ... iyasu.html

The question that comes to mind is why you would expect to see a large black or hispanic or Asian contingent in an Irish pub. When I walk into a blues bar my reaction is not "I've never seen so many black people in my life!".

If the purpose of your post was to imply that non-white ethnic origin musicians would not be welcome in a trad session, then your implication is incorrect. But then as your earlier post demonstrates, you're hardly an expert on the matter:
Cranberry wrote:In my locale, it is illegal to buy or sell alcohol, and the law is rather strictly enforced. Thus, we have no pubs. :)
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

The only (awesome) Irish pub in the country!

http://www.molly-blooms.com/

Too bad there aren't many pics ;/
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Flyingcursor wrote:...They may call themselves pubs but they're just being pretentious. I'm worried this pretentiousness may bring wrath upon us.
"Pub" a pretentious label? :o

In England and Ireland there's nothing pretentious about a place that calls itself a pub. Find the lowliest, grubbiest, nastiest dive you can imagine, and few would dispute its entitlement to the label "pub".

Is it a more prestigious appelation in other countries?
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

My local (and second home) is The Plough in Ley Green, Kings Walden. We have an informal sing-along session on Tuesday evenings. It's a tiny pub, and the only bar in the village. About 10 minutes walk from our cottage :)

The Guinness is good, but the supply fragile, as there are only about 2 or three of us who regularly drink it, so if Dave gets a sudden influx of visiting customers with a taste for the black stuff then Bill, Brian and meself go into panic mode...

The views out over the big garden and the fields are lovely... when you can see past all the deer, rabbits, pheasants, hares, foxes and other freeloaders that keep getting in the way...

Here's The Plough...

And a couple of villages over from us we have The Strathmore Arms in St Pauls Walden, where the late Queen Mother came from (the area, not the pub). Danny, who now runs The Strath used to run The Plough (above) but moved on a few years back. The Strath has a very wide selection of real ales (ATTENTION STEVE SHAW!!), and holds a regular beer festival. We have just recruited a melodeon player from amongst the Strath's regulars to come and join our Tuesday gig at The Plough!

Here's the back of the Strathmore Arms...
djm

Post by djm »

Buddhu wrote:Is it a more prestigious appelation in other countries?
Here they are called "bars". If the owners want to sound "ye olde fashioned" they call themselves "tavern" or "bar and grill" (from the old days when the inn keeper locked up the bar with an iron grill to protect it from overnight guests. You know the owners are really going for quaint when they call it a "pub", so yes, it could be perceived as being pretentious.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

djm wrote:
Buddhu wrote:Is it a more prestigious appelation in other countries?
Here they are called "bars". If the owners want to sound "ye olde fashioned" they call themselves "tavern" or "bar and grill" (from the old days when the inn keeper locked up the bar with an iron grill to protect it from overnight guests. You know the owners are really going for quaint when they call it a "pub", so yes, it could be perceived as being pretentious.

djm
Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

Now, if most places in the UK and Ireland started calling themselves "taverns", they would generally be considered pretentious, or just silly. Certainly it would be a source of immense amusment to tipsy customers, and I suspect most landlords would go back to "pub" pretty sharpish! :D

There are a few places with tavern in the name (The Somerset Tavern in Luton, for example) but if you were to ask someone: "What kind of business operates in that building over there?", then you would be told: "It's a pub... What, are you blind?".