Explain your avatar.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Black Mage
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Explain your avatar.

Post by Black Mage »

Forgive me if this has been discussed before (I ran a search, but didn't find anything), but it's always an interesting discussion.

One of the things I love about forums is looking at everyone's avatars and trying to figure out what they mean and what they are. Your avatar is like your fingerprint, so why not tell everyone what your avatar is all about?

It'll be fun!

My avatar du jour is a character from the web comic, VGCats, and is actually an edit of this avatar.

For one, he just looks Black Mage-ish, and two, a few days ago I had a moment of insight and realized that his wand just needed a few tweaks and it would become a whistle. Huttah!

Image = Image
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Mine is the ideal expression for every event, ever since the wind changed and I got stuck this way.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Mine used to be a photograph (of myself) that I used to use as my Avatar on BALDUR's GATE. A Role-playing Game. My son still plays it. I don't seem to have the time.
Then I went into an avatar frenzy and heaped up a load of them. Recently I had an image of the Good Soldier Svejk dozing by the Company Telephone. I might go back to that.
One of my avatars is an impressionist Stag. The current one is an impressionist Fred (me). I used to have software for creating GIFs wich move about, but since the company went onto XP, none of them work.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I'm not telling - so there!! Besides, I think I need to go have my diaper changed.
:P
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Can't explain mine. You could probably attribute some sort of subconscious stuff to it, but I just happen to like it, is all.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Innocent Bystander wrote: The current one is an impressionist Fred (me)..
It puts me in mind of that drawing of "What's on a man's mind", which I won't show here, this being a Family Forum, but here's a link:

http://www.popartuk.com/humour/whats-on ... poster.asp
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Self explanatory (but I'll try):

I'm a fifer.
I'm dead.
I eat fifes.
'nuff said.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

My current avatar is simply myself, piping at the beach on Sanibel Island.

... original photo...

Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

fyffer wrote:Self explanatory (but I'll try):

I'm a fifer.
I'm dead.
I eat fifes.
'nuff said.
Wow. How long you bin dead, Fyffer?
Remember that story about the saint who brought a monk back from the dead, and the monk said "Hell is not as black as it's painted..."
Any comment on that?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

According to one of the characters on Babylon 5, Daffy Duck is the Egyptian god of frustration. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
missy

Post by missy »

it's a picture of Tom and me -

.......I'm the cute one......
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm just sitting in front of my iBook making a cranky face at my daughter, the photog, in this one.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

The one I have now (March 2006) is my attempt to have something Irish-y for St. Patrick's Day. The funny bird that I had for a while is a metal garden sculpture that we sell at the store where I work and I thought it was cute so I bought it and took a picture of it. The tree with snow is a tree in my backyard. And sometimes I just use a picture of my face. I try to change my avatar to match the season.
Charlene
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Martin Milner wrote:Mine is the ideal expression for every event, ever since the wind changed and I got stuck this way.
....and I couldn't just let Martin get away with his shot of Bertie!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Mine is the Andromeda galaxy.

When I look at a picture of a galaxy, like this one, I am first captivated just by the sheer beauty. Then my mind turns to how unimaginably old the light which made that photograph is: nothing on earth including the earth is anything but a newborn compared to the age of that light. We are simply not equipped to understand that kind of age except as an abastraction.

Then my mind turns to the vast size of that thing. I know the numbers, I can look up the comparisons, but there is still no meaningful way to even begin to grasp that kind of huge. Again, we are simply not equipped to really understand that kind of size, except as an abstraction.

Since my mind can't understand these things, and knows it, it simply empties itself out. Therefore, I find looking at pictures of galaxies to be very relaxing on the mind.

The equivalent function on most personal computers can be acheived by flipping the power switch to "off." 8)

--James