Hand Position

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Eddie

Hand Position

Post by Eddie »

Hello!

I have another completely noob question, I am hoping someone may be able to help me out with.

Is it a requirement to use the left hand for holes 1, 2, & 3, or is it acceptable / in practice to use the right hand if it feels more comfortable? I havent been playing very long at all (maybe a couple hours) but am already noticing that it is almost instinctual just to use my right hand on the top 3 holes, is this something I should make an effort to avoid, if so why?

Thanks!

Eddie
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Hi Eddie,

There's a few right-over-left players on the board - I'd say if you're comfortable that way, go with it. There is no physiological reason to go either way. Only one small point to make is that some makers offset the holes - mostly for a lower right hand and usually for the lower keyed instruments. A lot of the time these are hand-made instruments and you can have the offset taylored to your own style.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Henke

Post by Henke »

Go with what you feel most comfortable doing. I'm a right hand on top guy, since that just felt more natural from the beginning. If anyone tells you that you're holding it wrong then screw them. No real player will tell you that by the way.
There are a few drawbacks, for example if you ever decide to pick up the Uilleann Pipes or the flute, which are a lot less ambidextrous than the whistle. But that can be worked around. I also play the irish flute and I've had no problem at all playing the wrong way there as well. All the good makers will make a lefty flute for you. It's a lot more difficult to find a used instrument though.
And, of course, you are in good company, there are lots of respected pro players that play lefty.

Cheers
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I play right over left also...and have been playing the irish flute for a month or so now, without any fingering issues.

Doesn't Mary Bergin play right over left, too?
Ah yes.. I found the relevant C&F pic

Mary's the one on the right..she plays right over left. Considering how well-respected she is as a whistler (and how proficient she is) I think that's a mighty powerful argument that the right certainly can go on top ;)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Wanderer wrote:I play right over left also...and have been playing the irish flute for a month or so now....
No! Come away from the dark side! I thought you didn't want to learn flute! :)
Black Mage
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Black Mage »

I know a lady who bought a Meg when I talked about whistles on another forum, she insists that the most comfortable way to play (for her, anyway) was with two fingers on the top two holes, and four fingers on the bottom. I've tried this myself and cannot see how that could possibly work. Feels way weird.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

Doesn't Paddy Maloney play right hand on top?
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Tia

Post by Tia »

Even though I kind of agree that you should go with what your more confortable with, I think that if you practise with left on top that will feel natural after a while. Most people when they start playing a instrument feel more comfortable with right on top, once they start practising with left on top it doesn't feel weird anymore. But again in the end its up to you :)
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Left on top is most common, and can be made comfortable through practice, but I agree that there's nothing right or wrong about doing the opposite. I'm not sure about Paddy Maloney, but I do think Mike McGoldrick plays right hand on top. Nuff said if you ask me.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

fearfaoin wrote:
Wanderer wrote:I play right over left also...and have been playing the irish flute for a month or so now....
No! Come away from the dark side! I thought you didn't want to learn flute! :)
Lol, that post wasn't talking about *my* desires..just theoretical desires as to why one might choose whistle over flute.
;)

That said, years ago, I did state I had no intention of ever learning flute, as I was more than satisfied with whistles. I'm still satisfied with whistles, but have changed my mind about the flute ;)
Silvano

Hand Position

Post by Silvano »

Many years ago I saw a guy playing a fife. At any rest before a repeat sign he turned his fife from one side to the other, changing the position of the hands in same time :o . He did this for the whole tune and would not let out a single note.
I wondered then how many hours of practice he must have had. It was sort of amazing but also scaring.

Silvano
--- A whistle a day keeps bad thoughts away ---
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Wanderer wrote:Lol, that post wasn't talking about *my* desires..just theoretical desires as to why one might choose whistle over flute.
Yeah, I vaguely remembered that post, and once I found it again, I
realized that was probably what you meant. But thought I'd dredge
it up anyway. :P
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I've seen the Chieftains in convert, and when I did, Paddy was playing left over right. Just as he plays his pipes. Though according to a chiff and fipple interview with Paddy, when he first started the whistle, he supposedly started playing right over left, but said he had to switch for learning the pipes later on... As far as the whistle goes, I don't think it matters which way you play. Fingers are still gonna go up and down, so who cares? Do whatever's comfortable.

I just think it's funny that in Grey Larsen's Complete Guide to Tin Whistle and Irish Flute (or however the name goes) describes these hand positions... In this tutor, he describes the "right hand" position of holding the whistle, is, left on top, right on bottom... And he describes the "left hand" version as right on top, left on bottom... Well, I'm a right handed guy, yet, I play right on top, left on bottom... So, apparantly I'm just a freak on the whistle according to his book...
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

here's my two cents. i'm not offerring you advice, i'll just tell you how it is with me. i taught myself and placed my right hand on top. i played for well over a year and did not know i was playing left-handed (i'm right handed) i only found out when someone gave me their silver flute. i'm not about to change which hand i play the whistle and flute but it's making learning the silver flute and any other potential band instrument that much more difficult. if i had my 'druthers, i would play left hand on top. also, if you learn to play the irish flute and live in america or another country where the driver's seat is on the left side of the car, it makes playing the flute rather difficult in the driver through line or at traffic stops.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

unless of course, you're usually the passenger in the car. in that case, playing lefty rocks!
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦