Z Machine Sets Unexpected Earth Temperature Record

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Z Machine Sets Unexpected Earth Temperature Record

Post by Denny »

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Oh, I assure you it works, Mr Bond. And once you are out of the way, nothing can stop us...
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Yikes-a-hooty! What kinda of deal is that?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Oh, I assure you it works, Mr Bond. And once you are out of the way, nothing can stop us...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
djm

Post by djm »

What was important about these tests was not so much the impressive temperatures reached, but the amount of time that the reaction continued for - way beyond what was expected. The guys at Sandia still haven't figured it out, but if they do, they feel they will have opened a new possible method for initiating a fusion reaction.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Ooh Fusion... free electricity for all! It's 1958 and ZETA all over again :)
Except ZETA didn't work. I think that was the last time that the UK tabloids dared to print "Free electricity for all!" as a banner headline.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I am not an alarmist by any means, but does it concern anyone that they "unexpectedly" set a temperature record?

What else can happen "unexpectedly"? Suppose they unexpectedly create a black hole (OK, that's alarmist). We're toying with powers we still don't understand in an effort to understand them, of course.

Fascinating? Yes.
Dangerous? Most certainly.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Pfft. What's the worse that can happen? A fireball that'll set the atmosphere on fire and consume all the oxygen on the planet? I think that was odds on favourite at Los Alamos back in the 40's (didn't stop 'em though).
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

GaryKelly wrote:Pfft. What's the worse that can happen? A fireball that'll set the atmosphere on fire and consume all the oxygen on the planet? ).
This is why we have duct tape.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

DaleWisely wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:Pfft. What's the worse that can happen? A fireball that'll set the atmosphere on fire and consume all the oxygen on the planet? ).
This is why we have duct tape.
...During the unexpected powerful contained explosion, the Z machine released about 80 times the world's entire electrical power usage for a brief fraction of a second.....
Yikes! OK, now I'm going in the basement to look for the duct tape, my extra big roll of tin foil and those spare ice cube trays for the freezer. :wink:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

fyffer wrote:What else can happen "unexpectedly"? Suppose they unexpectedly create a black hole (OK, that's alarmist). We're toying with powers we still don't understand in an effort to understand them, of course.
There was an interesting article in New Scientist about black holes. Someone doing experiments with sub-atomic particles under extreme conditions found that they didn't follow the predicted behaviour. He had a good look and scratched his head and decided that if cooling stars behaved like this on their surface, it would explain why the black holes we have located don't behave exactly as predicted, and would also explain where all that "dark matter" is that current GUT theories have problems with! His contention is that there are really NO black holes.

Of course, that wouldn't stop some eedjit blowing a black hole in his tectonic plate...

...still, eh?
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I thought you meant another kind of Z machine....
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Holy poopie-doopie. That's one heckofa big Tesla coil!
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

fearfaoin wrote:Holy poopie-doopie!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler Morris wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:Holy poopie-doopie!
Ooh! Go ahead and hit him, Batman! He's such an annoying little git.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."