Good Low D whistle..?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Tommy wrote:Overton
Pick out three and buy them from someone that will let you send two back. When you find that you like them all and can't decide than keep them. All three cost less than a grand piano. I did this with Ann at Song of the Sea. What it should come down to is which sound you prefer.

OK now who is going to be the funny one :lol:, and ask how did I choose between three low D's and a grand piano?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Michael31856 wrote:Hiya Lambchop (do you know the sock puppet of the same name, seen on Brit TV some years ago..?)
Yes. I am nicknamed after her. We bear a striking resemblance to one another.
Thanks for the alligator offer, but I want to play, not chew!
Our gators thank you, as well.
Just hope to god I don't get WhOA disorder... Don't think I will . . .
No, of course not! You, of all people . . . I can already tell . . . will NOT acquire WhOA. Definitely not.
Oh, and I have a date on Thursday - first in a year and a half - but she sings and appreciates ITM, thank the heavens. Cute, and a witch too - life may get even better...
Best not play for her quite yet . . .
Michael31856
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Michael31856 »

Cheers Tommy. It comes down to some other considerations too, one of which being that I don't want toxic metals in my mouth (eg., aluminium). I've decided on a tuneable Black Diamond Hi-D and a Howard Low-D, because both are said to be very playable for a noob, and both have ABS/plastic heads.

Grand piano? Gods - how do you blow one of those..? Mind you, lots of keys, so that must help I guess...
Last edited by Michael31856 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i didn't read but a couple of the replies, you folks got too wordy and missed the best advice: BUY THEM ALL. BUY THEM ALL. IF NOT TODAY, SURELY TOMORROW. geesh. what were you folks thinking.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Michael31856

Post by Michael31856 »

Nah Mutepointe, that's not the way to skin a girl-guide...

You choose carefully at the beginning, using as much advice as possible from those more experienced, then get on with it. Then learn the instrument and let it learn you. Then when lots of time has passed - say, a few weeks - you use your skill and judgement to choose a better instrument. Because you know a better instrument will make your playing so much better... :)
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Michael31856 wrote:Nah Mutepointe, that's not the way to skin a girl-guide...

You choose carefully at the beginning, using as much advice as possible from those more experienced, then get on with it. Then learn the instrument and let it learn you. Then when lots of time has passed - say, a few weeks - you use your skill and judgement to choose a better instrument. Because you know a better instrument will make your playing so much better... :)
My name is Congratulations, and I approve the above message.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Didn't read the entire thread so this may have already been suggested; have you considered a Burke Viper low D - really fine.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Michael31856 wrote:Grand piano? Gods - how do you blow one of those..? Mind you, lots of keys, so that must help I guess...
Well . . . last week, I got one of these . . .

ImageImage

. . . and now I can play the piano. With both hands! :D
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I did once buy a Kerry Pro low D. A very fine whistle, and very well in tune, but alas it was too much for my fine fingers to handle. The guy i sold it to loved it, so it found a good home.

As such, i'm of the "start on a high D" school of thought. They're very easy to handle (unless you have huge shovel hands) and therefore you make a lot quicker progress which is more rewarding and therefore more encouraging for you to practice more. The Burke DASBT is my weapon of choice.

At the end of it though, if you have your heart set on a low whistle then go for it. But i would maybe suggest a low F or G to start as they are a lot easier to play than a low D.

?
Michael31856

Post by Michael31856 »

Lambchop, do you make those darned bags?!
Michael31856

Post by Michael31856 »

Congratulations wrote:My name is Congratulations, and I approve the above message.
I am honoured. And laughing a lot. Honoured and laughing - a good thing.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Michael31856 wrote:Cheers Tommy. It comes down to some other considerations too, one of which being that I don't want toxic metals in my mouth (eg., aluminium). I've decided on a tuneable Black Diamond Hi-D and a Howard Low-D, because both are said to be very playable for a noob, and both have ABS/plastic heads.

Grand piano? Gods - how do you blow one of those..? Mind you, lots of keys, so that must help I guess...
My first low D was one that I made from pvc pipe. My second was a Howard (dark blue). Howard is a very fine whistle with good response.
It took me three days to find good breath control for it. But after that it was easy to play. I found that my hands were dry and not making a good seal on the holes. A little hand lotion took care of that.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Michael31856 wrote:Lambchop, do you make those darned bags?!
Oh, my goodness . . . NO! I would never violate the commercial post rules like that!!!!! What kind of lamb do you take me for! :boggle:

Read closely . . . I got one last week. I'm just thrilled with it! I mean, I'd heard how nice they were, but had no idea! It's the most wonderful whistle case!

Believe me . . . the kind of things I make don't come anywhere close to being that nice!

This is who makes them . . . http://www.angelfire.com/mo/sassafrassg ... /main.html
WhistlinBob

Low D

Post by WhistlinBob »

In a word Susato About $70 U.S. or Make your own out of 3/4"cpvc for about $3.00 U.S. I won't bother wasting your time with all the divel ^ if you know what I mean
a one anda two anda three. I would like you to meet my whistle instructer Charles.

[A bad day of Whistlin is better than
any day at work!!!]
Congratulations

Re: Low D

Post by Congratulations »

WhistlinBob wrote:In a word Susato About $70 U.S. or Make your own out of 3/4"cpvc for about $3.00 U.S. I won't bother wasting your time with all the divel ^ if you know what I mean
I have several susato lows, and I cannot recommend them at all. I found my high D/C/Bb susato set tolerable, but the lows are horrid, IMO.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up