Leaky Bellows

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
joey_schu
antispam: No

Leaky Bellows

Post by joey_schu »

My bellows just tested positive for moderate unicupsid regurge and severe ventrical insufficiency leading to hypoxia in the peripheral chanter. Today it presents with signs of peripheral ischemic disease, and I'm wondering if any of you pipe doctors out there know how to treat this.

Basically the flap on my inlet valve doesn't fall over the hole nicely when I compress the bellows. I get a rush of air back out of the inlet hole while the bellows effortlessly deflates without pushing any air over to the bag. Sometimes it will click closed, resulting in a popping sound and immediate pressure in the bellows.

You think the hole valve needs to be replaced?

-Joey
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Firstly, the "hinge" on the leather flap should be at the top or 12 O'Clock position. Check where it is.

Next, have you removed the valve from the bellows? If the flap isn't falling flush over the hole it might be that the "hinge" is worn or some of the binding might have come loose. Have a look at it and see if that's the problem.
PJ
Jim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Jim »

You may just have to re-hemp it to the valve. Take the valve out and see if there is a gap between the valve and hinge line of the flapper (this could cause the flap to not seat properly). If there is and the flapper is not torn, take off the hemp and reseat the flapper and tie it back on. If the leather is torn along the hinge you'll have to replace it.

Jim
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

Afore ye do anything try taking the valve out,place it leather side down on a flat surface and give it a sharp tap with something hard (mallet) just a tap mind ye not a great wallop...this should be enough to seat the valve,replace it and see if it helps the proplem.
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I recommend C4, it always does the trick when anything of mine acts up, yup, C4 is the best! :D
John O'Gara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John O'Gara »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
I recommend C4, it always does the trick when anything of mine acts up, yup, C4 is the best!
Yes, didn't they use that on "Extreme Makeover: once? :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

John O'Gara wrote:Joseph E. Smith wrote:
I recommend C4, it always does the trick when anything of mine acts up, yup, C4 is the best!
Yes, didn't they use that on "Extreme Makeover: once? :lol:
I think you're correct, damn wicked hard core stuff. :D
joey_schu

Post by joey_schu »

PJ wrote:Firstly, the "hinge" on the leather flap should be at the top or 12 O'Clock position. Check where it is.

Next, have you removed the valve from the bellows? If the flap isn't falling flush over the hole it might be that the "hinge" is worn or some of the binding might have come loose. Have a look at it and see if that's the problem.
And the winner is...PJ. This seemed like the easiest remedy (and it was first on the list), so I checked and sure enough: 90 degrees off. Turned the valve a bit and it seems to be working like new.

Thanks PJ, and thanks everyone else who posted!

-Joey
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Good to hear it's working again.
joey_schu wrote:And the winner is...PJ.
I'd like to thank the Academy.
PJ
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Hello joey,while you've got the valve out,smear a couple of drops of olive oil on the both sides of the flap, :really: and let it soak in for a minute or two,wipe any remaining oil off with kithchen paper,then replace the valve,this will help the leather soften,and seal better under pressure. :wink: all the best stewart.