Your Local Pub

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Cranberry wrote:I know this might not be politically correct to say, but when I look at pictures of the insides of pubs, my reaction is often "I've never seen so many white people in my life!"

Are there any prominent (or not so prominent) black or hispanic or Asian pub musicians?
Folks may come up with a few other examples, but I suspect that Pubs which are ITM based are going to also have Euro-centric musicians as a rule. When I think of a more ethnically mixed slate of performers, I'd think of local jazz or folk music venues without the Celtic identity.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Well, not LOCAL local, but local enough:

And there is a virtual tour if your interested.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Tyghress wrote:Well, not LOCAL local, but local enough:

And there is a virtual tour if your interested.
Hey Tyg, where is this one? For some odd reason it looks very familiar.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
CHCBrown

Post by CHCBrown »

You guys are killing me...I knew I shouldn't have come to this thread...I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!

My buddies tell me there is great pub in Dubai. It's only a 9 hour drive!
"Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light ….”
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

CHCBrown wrote:You guys are killing me...I knew I shouldn't have come to this thread...I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!

My buddies tell me there is great pub in Dubai. It's only a 9 hour drive!
Nine hours...for a brew?

Now that's dedication!!!! :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
CHCBrown

Post by CHCBrown »

Naaaah.

You can scoot over to Bahrain...that's only 5 hours, if there's no traffic on the causeway.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

CHCBrown wrote:Naaaah.

You can scoot over to Bahrain...that's only 5 hours, if there's no traffic on the causeway.
Copout! :P
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I was under the impression, obviously false, that Saudi was a dry country and they took a very dim view of any attempt to bring alcohol into the country :-?

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
CHCBrown

Post by CHCBrown »

Precisely why one must drive to the Kingdom of Bahrain, the Emirate of Qatar, or the United Arab Emirates to visit a pub. And do not, under any circumstances, attempt to bring a six pack back home!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

CHCBrown wrote:Precisely why one must drive to the Kingdom of Bahrain, the Emirate of Qatar, or the United Arab Emirates to visit a pub. And do not, under any circumstances, attempt to bring a six pack back home!
Ah, the penny droppeth.

Geography was never one of my strong points :oops:

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Cranberry wrote:Are there any prominent (or not so prominent) black or hispanic or Asian pub musicians?
Go look at http://www.hoilands.com/Seattle_tionol2006.htm. There is Melanie playing fiddle with Justine on whistle and Laura on banjo. Melanie is wonderful fiddle player. Then there's me holding the "piper" sign. And I know we all played in a pub Saturday nite/Sunday morning!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Cranberry wrote:...when I look at pictures of the insides of pubs, my reaction is often "I've never seen so many white people in my life!"
What? I thought you were from West Virginia?!
Cranberry wrote:Are there any prominent (or not so prominent) black or hispanic or Asian pub musicians?
Well, it seems like Irish music tends to bring in white people as a
majority, for whatever reason. If you go into a Blues bar, you might
see a large number of black folks, if you go into Chez Guevara to
see Tito Puente, then you're gonna have some Hispanic dining
companions.

Though, I was at the Tir na Nog session once, and this gentleman
of African (and presumably American) decent was there, holding
bongos. We invited him to join us, and he did, though he was just
waiting for his ride to a jazz gig. Turns out, he could follow quite
well, and it was a blast playing with a non-ITM percussionist. So,
there you go.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Cran.
How can i put this?

The population growth in ireland at the minute is unbelievably exploding. Mandarin is the second most used language in ireland after english (gaelic is third!)
In ireland (if you ever make a visit) go to any county town fleadh (summer time) and witness the amount of oriental itm's.(irish trad musicians).
im not messing these buachailli would put the most hardened connemara concertina player to shame.
last summer at the wllie clancy week i had the pleasure of sharing a b&b with a group of chinese sean-os dancers.
i know i cool chinese flute player lad in ennis (ki).

a quick scan through http://www.thesession.org/sessions/display/1151
shows that there are lots of itm sessions throughout the globe and it is nideed NOT a predominantly white domain.
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Ours is Kitty Hoyne's.

A picture of the outside

This is a slightly blurry picture of the bar

And here's the owner (on the right) -- truly a great man!

We love playing there and just going there quite frequently.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I don't know if the link will work but here it is. The facade and much of the interior were salvaged from a pub in Ireland that was going out of business.
http://www.sullivansirishpub.net/tour.html