what's important

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

what's important

Post by chas »

I had a lesson today with a great Maryland flute player and teacher. Not my first lesson with him, and I have another teacher who's very good. I think I had an epiphany today. This may very well belong among the headlines of DUH magazine for many of you.

I've never really been crazy about the whole tune-based teaching thing as a holistic approach. So there we were going through a tune (the one from the last lesson, some time ago), phrase by phrase, twist by twist, accent by accent, etc. And I listened to the lesson on the way home (an hour drive, by serendipity), and it occurred to me that, to a great extent, these were exercises. Each thing he had me do can be made into an exercise -- big accents on the accented beat; cuts on the accented beat; accents on the off beat, etc. This lesson may be the first in which I've gone through a tune with each of these aspects, but I think every lesson I've had has had some component that could be made into an exercise.

I've really never turned the instruction from a flute lesson into exercises, besides things like scales, arpeggios, harmonics, etc. I've never thought of turning these stylistic things into exercises, but plan on it now.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

give us a break
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

glinjack wrote:give us a break
Damn, that's cold.

Loren
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Is this a rather rude thing to say, or am I missing out on a cleverly-disguised joke?

On the topic, I found myself (due to my evil classical background) making exercises out of tunes, as well. I've moved away from that since then, but it worked very well for what I wanted from it at the time. I rule out no method for learning, and this one can be as effective as any.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Sounds like a good idea, definitely.
rh

Re: what's important

Post by rh »

chas wrote:"You can be what you want to be if you believe in yourself and you work hard, because anything, and I'm telling you anything, is possible. Don't feel sorry for yourself if obstacles get in your way." -- Kirby Puckett
thanks for this quote.
there is no end to the walking
scooter587

Post by scooter587 »

I don't necessary think of the tunes as exercises, but they are the "etudes" of the Irish trad repertoire. In other words, you can learn everything you need to know to play this music by playing the tunes themselves.

Some people pick the nuances up by osmosis or subliminally. Others do better with conscious analysis and synthesis--dissecting lessons from the tunes, and then reassembling the bits back into "music." Whatever floats your boat. The main thing to realize is that whatever you learn from one tune can be extrapolated and used elsewhere.

Lest this sound overly calculating, I tend to focus on the "play" when playing music--it's all fun and good, whether or not someone else would call it "practice."
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Congratulations wrote:snip
On the topic, I found myself (due to my evil classical background) making exercises out of tunes, as well. I've moved away from that since then, but it worked very well for what I wanted from it at the time. I rule out no method for learning, and this one can be as effective as any.
Yes. Going back to tunes, applying new ideas, using tunes as teachers, yes, yes, yes. If it stops being fun, though, change the format.

Has anyone ever gone back to their first tune and found it foreign? Learned it again, fresh, with your whole new bag of tricks? Very informative.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

chas wrote:This may very well belong among the headlines of DUH magazine for many of you.
That was intended as "a break." :P
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

scooter587 wrote:<snip>Whatever floats your boat.<snip>

Lest this sound overly calculating, I tend to focus on the "play" when playing music--it's all fun and good, whether or not someone else would call it "practice."
That top part is so true.

I always had a problem with classical music, because I wanted to play and not practice a bunch of scales. If you know what you like and how you learn best, by all means do it.

Avery LeVine
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Fecking classical musicians. Want you to control your instrument so you can turn your mind to playing music instead of struggling to catch your breath.

What were they thinking?

Pat Mitchell, in his magnificent article on Structure and Rhythm in Irish Traditional Dance Music wrote:When a person begins to learn to play western European art music (‘classical’ music) they get a
thorough grounding on their chosen instrument in scales, rhythms, phrasing, legato, staccato,
etc. – the basics. There is generally a list of pieces recommended for listening to, to help
beginners interpret the written music and to give example and inspiration. Then they move on
to more complex items – ornaments, arpeggios, the more difficult scales – until finally they are
in a position where they can concentrate on expression and communicate their own
interpretation of the music written down by the composer. They have completely mastered their
instrument. Their focus at this stage is on music, not on the technicalities of the performance –
though by the way, they will still need to spend much time practising to facilitate this focus.
While it might not be desirable to follow this process step-for-step I believe we can draw useful
parallels in the progression from mechanics to expression and in the focus on listening.
the article goes on to describe what elements to listen for, and how to work on approaches to irish music. And I mean LISTEN, not play a cd over and over.

Look it up, it may provide you with some insights.
Last edited by Cayden on Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
artsohio
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Post by artsohio »

I turn tunes into exercises often. I play a good bit of what most people would consider boring and "unfun", and have been accused of taking the joy out of playing, but here is my take on it -- the joy of playing comes from making the instrument become an extension of yourself. I don't think about picking up something or taking a step and I don't want to have to think about making a nice roll or playing an interval in tune or get the tone I like, etc. It should just happen, that's where making music can happen.

FOR ME, for anything to become second nature, I have to strip away everything else. To improve my cuts, I have to practice them first in a context where I don't have to worry about playing musically. Of course, nothing is of value unless you can later use it correctly, but FOR ME, playing exercises instead of tunes heps me focus on different individual building blocks.

I'm one of those oddballs who enjoy playing scales, intervals and all those fingering exercises others love to hate. Once you get them under your fingers, they are relaxing old pals. Plus, flute repetoire (and this includes ITM) is really nothing but scales, arpeggios and intervals. Practicing them is ear training and helps me translate what I hear or see into what I finger.

Again, that's just me. The more intelligent/talented/experienced in the bunch may be able to improve their technique through a more hoistic approach, but I have to break things down into little technical exercises to experience any improvement.
Want you to control your instrument so you can turn your mind to playing music instead of struggling to catch your breath.
That's what I was so long-windedly trying to say.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm a plodder, myself. Over and over again with the little bits until they're second nature and can be readily inserted here or there for variety's sake and not having to worry about a trainwreck.

The Japanese -I think it is- have a saying to the effect that talent is a tragedy, meaning that talent has an easy time of it up to a point where things are no longer easy, work must finally be done, discouragement sets in, and often enough talent gives up, not previously having had to work hard. I console myself with that. :D
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
BillG

Post by BillG »

Nanohedron wrote:I'm a plodder, myself. Over and over again with the little bits until they're second nature and can be readily inserted here or there for variety's sake and not having to worry about a trainwreck.:D
And I'm a reader who reads/plays my way through one or two tune books looking for the "ONE". When I find it, and often do, I become the "plodder, myself." To me the practice is the reading and adjusting. I don't just RUN through tunes but concentrate on the timing and all that. This is my little pleasure. The work - and this is fun too - begins when I then commit the ONE to memory and work it.

Do I "listen" to CDs and ITRAD, of course.

[ good to see you back, Avery ]

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Nanohedron wrote:I'm a plodder, myself. Over and over again with the little bits until they're second nature and can be readily inserted here or there for variety's sake and not having to worry about a trainwreck.

The Japanese -I think it is- have a saying to the effect that talent is a tragedy, meaning that talent has an easy time of it up to a point where things are no longer easy, work must finally be done, discouragement sets in, and often enough talent gives up, not previously having had to work hard. I console myself with that. :D
Me too. The race is not always to the swift.