Pet Peeves

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Father Emmet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Father Emmet »

billh wrote:
Yer man from "One Foot in the Grave" is one of my peeves...
http://www.richardwilsonarchive.com/fatherted.htm
magroibin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by magroibin »

..and a gathering of pipers is not called a "Chunnel"!

A Chunnel is a 50-km-long (31 imperial miles) rail tunnel beneath the English Channel at the Straits of Dover, connecting Cheriton in Kent, the United Kingdom, and Coquelles near Calais in northern France.
PaisleyBuddy

Post by PaisleyBuddy »

tommykleen wrote: I cannot play and talk at the same time.
I can't chew a toffee and play at the same time, had the stains to prove it.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

tommykleen wrote:-people asking me questions right in the middle of a tune. I cannot play and talk at the same time. I am not alone in that, methinks.
maybe it's because they see you're not blowing into it, so you're free to chat. People do that all the time with me when I play guitar. Namely, my wife. She doesn't understand why I only see her mouth moving with no sound coming out when I'm playing. It's when I'm in the "zone". But if I adopt this "zone" posture, where I look like I'm in another world, people leave me alone.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Weird. I can totally talk and play at the same time.

Wait, I can talk while Tommykleen plays. That's it.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

I can't talk and play..or is it play and talk :-?
Anyway if someone tries to talk whilst I am playing I usually just stop playing and ask them what they want!...I will try mouthing F.... Aff next time to see if that has the desired effect :swear:
I also find that keeping my eyes closed works quite well,folks think I am immersed in my music,they don't realize I am just shutting them out... plus there is the added advantage that I don't have to look at the Poor Mans Tambourine player frae hell when he comes in wi his two tambourines,mind ye I can still hear his racket even hours after the session has finished..
Back to the topic..
Pet Peeves....Dog sh*t not cleared up by the pets' owners and left in public places,I think if humans went around doing turds on the pavement or in the park and then just left it there would be a bit of an outcry ,so why do a lot of pet owners think it is ok for an extension of their family to do the same???.:wink:

Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I can't talk and play, either.

And I guess I am not super friendly and accomodating to punters. If I was a good person, I would be less of a wiseass.

Punter (while I am playing a tune): You play any bagpipe songs?
Me (dropping an entire bar of Father Kelly's): Yes. The one I am playing.
Punter: Do you play Amazing Grace?
Me (missing a few more notes): No. (This was a flat-out lie -- I actually can play the thing, but at a session, forget it)
Set of reels: Ends.
Punter: So what kind of bagpipes are those?
Me: Irish bagpipes.
Punter: What do you play on them?
Me: Irish tunes.

Hilarious. They were obviously frat boys.

At the other session I play at, we have some groupies who just hang out and listen, which is fine. Almost. One of them considers himself a singer and wants to be a member of the Clancy Brothers, except without the talent. During the course of a night he will usually sing a song or three during breaks between sets and usually sits at one of the tables behind the session. Since he is by no means good but can stay vaguely on key (with a bit of imagination), he is tolerated. This week, it was a pretty crowded session, and I got there late. There were a lot of musicians around the periphery. And there was this guy at the main table in the center of the session taking up space. I gave him a glare of doom, and he said, "I am not leaving my seat." I think I snippily said something like, "I wasn't going to ask you to." Of course, I am way too much of a wuss and way too passive-aggressive to do much more than continue to give him angry looks and stalk pointedly across the room to wherever I could find space for the pipes behind the session.

But the session was popular and there were a lot of strong players, so the tunes were flying and this guy maybe got the chance to start one song. He left early. There is karmic justice in the world.

P.S. I have called uilleann pipes "uilleanns" if I need to differentiate them from highland pipes or any other kind of bagpipes in a conversation.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I can sing and play at the same time, but I cannot talk and play.... how odd is that? :lol:
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

people calling Uilleann Pipes 'Uilleanns'
Now that makes me want to vomit really hard...
Do people call Button Accordions, 'button's'...

"Hi, I play the 'buttons'....

or people who play the Great Highland Bagpipes,

"Hi, I play the Greats... No you don't, you play the Great Highland Bagpipes, and you don't play GHB either.
Thats another thing that pisses me right off.

Now in little chat fourms like this it bothers me to see this whole business of, 'imho' and 'itm' and all these other initialed statements that sailors did in the 1940's to get their holes.

But if you're typing on your lunch break and you have to get over to another fourm to compare chess piece sizes, thats grand.

But a lad said to me one day, wait for it... "I really love playing ITM..."
I wanted to break his jaw.
If you are going to take up a musical instrument, from ANY genre, it's going to require hours of each day of your life.
But not enough that you have to cut 2 seconds by saying "ITM" instead of "Irish Traditional Music".

It really doesn't take that long to say it. And, really, not a whole lot longer to type it either...

Your's gruntingly.
Tommy
Joseph E. Smith

tompipes wrote:
people calling Uilleann Pipes 'Uilleanns'
Now that makes me want to vomit really hard...
Do people call Button Accordions, 'button's'...

"Hi, I play the 'buttons'....

or people who play the Great Highland Bagpipes,

"Hi, I play the Greats... No you don't, you play the Great Highland Bagpipes, and you don't play GHB either.
Thats another thing that pisses me right off.

Now in little chat fourms like this it bothers me to see this whole business of, 'imho' and 'itm' and all these other initialed statements that sailors did in the 1940's to get their holes.

But if you're typing on your lunch break and you have to get over to another fourm to compare chess piece sizes, thats grand.

But a lad said to me one day, wait for it... "I really love playing ITM..."
I wanted to break his jaw.
If you are going to take up a musical instrument, from ANY genre, it's going to require hours of each day of your life.
But not enough that you have to cut 2 seconds by saying "ITM" instead of "Irish Traditional Music".

It really doesn't take that long to say it. And, really, not a whole lot longer to type it either...

Your's gruntingly.
Tommy
:oops: :oops: :oops: Oh man, I am so sorry, I didn't know you felt this way Tommy. I will of course, immediately engage in self-flagulation. :D :P

Seriously, I understand where you are coming from. Not being very PC savvy, trying to figure out the abbreviations gives me a headache. However, being a total creature of liesure (... lazy in other words), typing things out like Great Highland Bagpipe, or rolling on the floor laughing my ass off takes more time and effort than I have at any particular moment.... yeah, I know, it's a lame excuse. :lol:
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

I know a forum that hands out probations (no posting for x amount of hours) and even bans for using 'aol speak' (rofl, lol etc.,), posting drunk, and a host other 'social gaffs'. Ever thought about it moderator?

I have heard people say lol in real life. :roll:
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

T.W.A.T = Talking with authority too!

Yes I hate them too all just to save a few key strokes
Lazy Feckers :swear:
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

One of my peeves is receiving an email from someone that is devoid of all punctuation, capitalization (even their own name), and other signs of misspent youth. Sadly, I see a lot of these at work, where one would think there would be a degree of professionalism or decorum, if nothing else. The message is:

my time is fartoo valuable to be wasted on such frivolous pursuits such as respect for you or your name my name rules of grammar etc you understand dont you
good luck with your yuleanne piping
kindregardsjohn
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

I have to agree with him, chopping words into acronyms is definitely a peeve of mine. Like instead of UP, you could just drop the p and call them U for uilleanns. Just chop it down to one letter, and finish the rest of your sentences with acronyms. U a m f t, lol!
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Joseph E. Smith

:lol: