Why people move to Florida (photos)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

For a good time in Florida, check out

Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Cynth wrote:I was thinking I would like to visit the Florida Everglades and the Gulf Coast of Florida after reading a really great trilogy by Peter Matthiessen that takes place in that area. I started looking at places to go and they were saying things like be careful of alligators on the trail. And then it showed people putting in a canoe and a sign talking about alligators in the water. And a man was talking about the Visitor's Center having a huge alligator in front of the door (just on that day, it wasn't a permanent thing I guess :lol: ) and it couldn't be disturbed so people were having to jump over it to get out of the building. It sort of disturbed me I must say! My husband seemed very lukewarm about the whole thing, so I didn't get very far.

Edited to say Hi Lamby!
Well, it could be worse: Gators are quick over short distances, but they'll rarely chase after you, unless you find yourself nearly right on top of one. Gators aren't likely to try to break into your home either. Move to Alaska however, and you have to deal with the Bears, who can out run you over just about any distance short of a marathon, and they break into homes all the time. Then you have the moose, which will stomp you to a bloody pulp if you get too close and piss them off. And of course you have the avalanches, earthquakes, and mosquitos the size of helicopters.......

Florida is really pretty tame, as long as you dodge the gators, hurricanes, and Drug smugglers, :lol: The palmetto bugs are pretty disgusting though, and they're everywhere. :swear: Other than all of that.....plus the really old, and terrible drivers, it's a nice place to visit....if you don't mind endless miles of strip malls, run down trailer parks, rude people, and bad restaurants......You really should go visit some time :thumbsup:

Loren
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

My real reason for living in Florida... my soul mate.
missy

Post by missy »

Joseph, that's sweet.

I think Tom got the short end of the stick when I made him move back to Ohio from Seattle..........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Loren wrote: Well, it could be worse: Gators are quick over short distances, but they'll rarely chase after you, unless you find yourself nearly right on top of one. Gators aren't likely to try to break into your home either. Move to Alaska however, and you have to deal with the Bears, who can out run you over just about any distance short of a marathon, and they break into homes all the time. Then you have the moose, which will stomp you to a bloody pulp if you get too close and piss them off. And of course you have the avalanches, earthquakes, and mosquitos the size of helicopters.......

Florida is really pretty tame, as long as you dodge the gators, hurricanes, and Drug smugglers, :lol: The palmetto bugs are pretty disgusting though, and they're everywhere. :swear: Other than all of that.....plus the really old, and terrible drivers, it's a nice place to visit....if you don't mind endless miles of strip malls, run down trailer parks, rude people, and bad restaurants......You really should go visit some time :thumbsup:

Loren
I was told I should run in a circle if I was chased by an alligator. Of course I don't know how small a circle and I really can't run worth a darn anyway :lol: .

I've never gone where they have grizzlies but I am scared of bears too. I really couldn't live somewhere that they tried to get in the house. And moose. We often vacation in Minnesota and were telling someone how we saw two moose come up out of the lake when we were canoeing. I didn't know they could swim. The woman told us that the year before one had come up right under a kayak and tipped it over. But the guy was fine, it was just a weird coincidence. I can't believe all the things there are to be scared of :boggle: :lol: :boggle: .

I definitely whine like a baby when it is hot and humid, I've been known to kick and cry like a baby, in fact. We go up to Minnesota in the winter as well as in the summer. I think it is in my Swedish genes or something.
JES wrote:Gators is one of the many reasons I love Florida, and will most likely remain here for a good long while.
Dang, you are just so darn contrary! :lol: :lol: That picture of you in the golf cart makes it look like you lost one of your legs to one of your large-mouthed buddies. I really don't wish any harm at all to alligators, I just don't want to get up close and personal with them.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Cynth wrote:
JES wrote:Gators is one of the many reasons I love Florida, and will most likely remain here for a good long while.
Dang, you are just so darn contrary! :lol: :lol: That picture of you in the golf cart makes it look like you lost one of your legs to one of your large-mouthed buddies. I really don't wish any harm at all to alligators, I just don't want to get up close and personal with them.
:lol: Actually, I sold it to the gator... bought them thar pipes y'all. Now I am as happy as a gopher in new dirt! :D
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

If you're going to delete my angst-ridden outburst, then you can delete Dubh's insult, as well, Mr. Moderator. I don't see why I'm expected to be a Model of Politeness while others are not.

Oh, yes, that's right. I forgot. I was supposed to "STAY OUT."
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Whoa! Gone for 12 hours and what do I come back to? Is this true? Someone deleted Lambchop's posts? Hmmm. Coupled with some acerbic comments directed to Lambchop in a couple other threads am I to suppose there's a feud going on?

Can be worse than the infamous Weeks vs. Gilder feud or the Kelly vs Avery debate?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
missy

Post by missy »

Flyingcursor wrote:
AMEN!!!! You're my new best friend.
Fly - even IF I didn't have problems paying money to the Evil Empire.....

.....I worked for 5 summers at Kings Island. Amusement parks hold absolutely NO interest (or amusement) for me. We get free tickets from work to KI every year, plus my mom works there and gets family tickets, and I still haven't been there in over 10 years. My kids are old enough they can go on their own (YEAH!!!).
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Lambchop wrote:No real need to delete this, Dubh has preserved it for you.
Wow....I never knew that Dub was a preservative! :o

:wink:
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I like jelly better than preserves.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm