Your Local Pub

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Your Local Pub

Post by Tyler »

Hello all!!!

I was interested in seeing pictures of old world style pubs in your neighborhoods.
Ours isPiper Down.
You can see photos on the home page and read about this fine little establishement.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

In my locale, it is illegal to buy or sell alcohol, and the law is rather strictly enforced. Thus, we have no pubs. :)
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cranberry wrote:In my locale, it is illegal to buy or sell alcohol, and the law is rather strictly enforced. Thus, we have no pubs. :)
I'll pray for you. :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

What makes a Pub "Old World"? Just a European theme?
I guess Tir na Nog qualifies...

And, there's two Hibernian pubs.

And, near Duke University, there's the James Joyce Pub,
but they're on my poopie list, because they stopped having
sessions so they could have Rugby viewing parties... :-?
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

There are absolutely tons in Ireland, so i suppose ill just stick this in..

(quote)
The Cobblestone, a traditional Irish music bar, on the edge of the renovated Smithfield Plaza.

The Cobblestone is located at the top of Smithfield, near the Four Courts, in the North Inner City. The D7 area has recently become very trendy among the late '20s and early '30s and many mingle with inner city Dubliners in this convivial old bar. The bar serves a very nice pint and has an excellent range of beers, including the full selectition of Dublin Brewing Company beers.

The décor of the bar has all the charm and musty elegance of a country pub. The atmosphere is chatty, convivial and unpretentious. Above the bar is one of the city's finest little venues, The Cobblestone. The Cobblestone holds gigs throughout the week hosting some of the country's finest traditional and roots musicians.

There are also traditional sessions in the bar every night with trad musicians from every part of the country playing quality music. So if you'd like to get away from the big city for a night and enjoy a bit of gossip over a pint, head down to The Cobblestone.
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
emmline

Post by emmline »

This used to be the site of the Tuesday night session which our own LeeMarsh participated in. Still a nice pub, but not as hot on a Tuesday night as it used to be!

Here's another one in Annapolis.

I'm so NOT a night person that I can't really vouch for either very well, but I think they're cute.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Here's the place where the local Wed night session is held. Musicians gather down at the end where the window is. It's called Chaucer's. I guess the exterior looks a bit old world. If anyone's really that interested they can go to the following url and take the virtual tour.
http://www.checkoutarestaurant.com/go-menu.cfm?pid=1404
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

SteveK wrote:Here's the place where the local Wed night session is held. Musicians gather down at the end where the window is. It's called Chaucer's.
The tables in that place look fancier than in most Pubs...
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

fearfaoin wrote:
SteveK wrote:Here's the place where the local Wed night session is held. Musicians gather down at the end where the window is. It's called Chaucer's.
The tables in that place look fancier than in most Pubs...
And dishes ontop of the fireplace!? Me and the boys would make short work of those!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Yeah, but to the side of the dishes aren't those some sort of head-chopping-off axes? You and the boys better be careful about busting those dishes! :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

A couple more photos from Piper Down:

http://p.vtourist.com/2316747-Piper_Dow ... e_City.jpg
http://p.vtourist.com/2316746-Piper_Dow ... e_City.jpg

I don't have any photos of local pubs here, they're incredibly smoky so I haven't been in many.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Here's one of our local pubs, Macbeth.

You might call this a bad shot at shameless self promotion. :P
Yes, it's me on the flute.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I know this might not be politically correct to say, but when I look at pictures of the insides of pubs, my reaction is often "I've never seen so many white people in my life!"

Are there any prominent (or not so prominent) black or hispanic or Asian pub musicians?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Cranberry wrote:Are there any prominent (or not so prominent) black or hispanic or Asian pub musicians?
Hanz Araki is a Seattle-based shakuhachi and Irish flute player, and I'm sure he's played in his share of pubs.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Let the Music take ye HIGHER

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats