Pask "Ribas's improved" on eBay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
daiv
antispam: No

Post by daiv »

anniemcu wrote:
daiv wrote:
David Migoya wrote:BEWARE

I learned this morning that this is a fraudulent sale.
I am friends with the owner of this flute....and it is NOT the eBay seller.
In fact, this flute sold on eBay about a month ago (when my friend bought it).
Check eBay # 7345340541 which was the original sale.

My friend called me this morning to warn me.

This is a FAKE sale.
as of now it seems to have been removed.
It was still listed when I checked. You may have been checking the number in the quote... that's the original sale, and it is indeed no longer accessible. I have reported this latest one as possibly fraudulent.
yeah. somehow i missed the 2 posts preceding mine, or my cache was off.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

David Migoya wrote:yes, it's the same fraud
i called my friend (the owner of the flute....for real) and he's pissed, to say the least.
unbelievable

Terry....i doubt they are actually IN australia.

anyway...best way to beat them: bid $1 million
:)
David, I think your friend needs to contact eBay if he hasn't already. As he is the purchaser from the earlier sale, he has some more credibility than we who are only 'observers'. He should still have the info on the original seller, even if it is just the feedback exchange, so he should be able to contact the original seller. If he still has the description used in the original sale, he can compare it to the new one and since these are not at all common, and it is virtually impossible that the descriptions can match word for word from separate sellers, they may be able to convince eBay to trounce this.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

i know he has reached out to eBay to inform them
why it's not been removed is beyond me
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Hmmm, not I'm not sure what's going on. Andrew (of beloved memory) wrote me this morning that he bid on it to try to flush the sod out. Someone else had also bid on it when the auction closed. Because the lister had selected to keep bidders identities secret, it wasn't possible to contact this person to warn them not to send any money without seeing the goods first. Then I get this email from Ebay:

Hello,

Thank you for writing into ebay.My name is Randey and I am happy to help you further regarding the item #7395019638.

I reviewed your report and found that appropriate action has been taken in this matter in accordance with our policies. At this time, I can inform you that the seller <<savrerttabudikao>> you reported is currently not a registered eBay user. This occurs when a user cancels
his or her membership or the membership is suspended. Once a membership is cancelled or suspended, the user is unable to bid, sell, or exchange feedback on the eBay site. Due to privacy concerns, I am not at liberty to discuss specific details of any action taken. I hope you understand this position and that it assures you that your personal account history will always remain private.

Due to the high volume of listings on eBay we are unable to detect every listing that appears to be misleading. We do our best to police the website and appreciate members that write in with their help.

While I realize that our actions do not completely solve your issues, I hope that you will see that we will take action when appropriate. I sincerely hope that you will not let this isolated seller represent the many great sellers that exist on the site and that you will continue to enjoy the many things that eBay has to offer.

Once again, thank you for writing into eBay. I hope I have addressed all of your concerns. If you need any additional assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

Warmest Regards,
Randey
Fraud Prevention Group
eBay Trust & Safety

Now it doesn't address all my concerns as I don't know if the sod has managed to extract chunks of money from the purchaser before unlisting or being unlisted. I guess the inference is that something good happened, but who knows? A tame and weak response I'd call it. Well, at least we tried.

Terry
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Terry,
There might be legal reasons why they can't be more specific. I'm just guessing, of course.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

I said: "Well at least we tried", but I was wrong - it seems we succeeded.

Just heard from a customer and friend today - he had been the successful bidder on this flute and was then surprised when the sale was withdrawn at the end.

So be encouraged, fighters for Truth, Justice and the Belconnen Way (name of a major street in Canberra - just a little thing we say here. Well, some of us say. Dags like me, mostly.).

We don't know which of us harrassing Ebay did the trick - maybe it took all of us - but it is worth the battle. If we can make it unprofitable for scammers to pick on flutes they might turn their attention to other things. And if we can make Ebay squirm, they might just tighten up some of the obvious toeholds for scammers - eg the ability to "protect bidder's identities", making it impossible for us to warn bidders of a scam.

Terry
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Yay! let's hope the schmucks who do this get their come-upance.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com