Fit To Be Tied

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I'm not certain if being a speedy reed maker is a good idea, but that's just me. Taking one's time (especially for the beginners) and getting it right on the first go greatly reduces the chance of a cracked reed before it is even finished.

Suffice it to say that everybody does it just a little bit differently than the next person, and the end result is what matters.
WireHarp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WireHarp »

Thanks to all for their input. Hans.. what in HELL did you do to that reed? Light a cigar with it? sheesh :boggle:

I think that the best route for me might be the one I have applied to every other craft I have ever done: learn to do it by hand first ( the idea of less tools, gadgets etc. is very appealing to me) and then once I can do it that way, see if a machine might make things easier. Now if the cane I ordered would only arrive... *sigh*

RWM
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

I find this simple, but useful. Much nicer if you have to backstep a little, or need to make adjustments to the staple>head as you have both hands free.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

WireHarp wrote: Hans.. what in HELL did you do to that reed? Light a cigar with it? sheesh :boggle:
I would of course never ever do that. Just a cigarette :D
Seriously, it is a secure way to quit with a "dead candidate": While fumbling with it again and again it is better to use the wasted time to make several other ones.

Alan, thats some idea! All you need for it is a piece of steel rod. The crank-shape and the flattened tip can easily be self-made. Thanks!
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Hans-Joerg wrote: thats some idea!
But not mine! I paid money for it.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

AlanB wrote:
I find this simple, but useful. Much nicer if you have to backstep a little, or need to make adjustments to the staple>head as you have both hands free.
I've got one of those from NPU. It has Cillian O'Brien's name stamped in it so I'm guessing he makes them for NPU?
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

This is an old Miller Falls #77 hand drill, I made the little wooden base - there was a wooden handle (shaped like a doorknob) attached to the bottom, I removed it and the shaft that the handle fit onto goes through a hole in the block. Two little bits of drill rod act as guides to keep the drill in place.
The drill was about $24 from some online seller.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I have one of those old drills, it works quite well, for drilling, I will have to give it a try for reed making.