pictures and a poll

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Should I change my name from lilymaid, now I'm married?

yes (do give suggestions)
9%
no
87%
You're an old lady now and you should really get over it and go with lilymatron. :)
4%

Total votes: 23

lilymaid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

pictures and a poll

Post by lilymaid »

I got married last summer, and people who aren't always in chat don't know, so I'm posting a few pictures. (Also, I had trouble showing them to someone the other day, so this works for that, too. :) ) I'm probably not as cute as Beth, though. :)

They're clickable, apparently.

Me feeling shy. :)

Isn't he pretty in his top hat?

I believe he's giggling at my dancing skills. :) (I mostly just put in this one because it shows the cool corsetness. :) )

Although I suppose this is a deathly personal matter, I was wondering what other people think of my changing my name to something more appropriate for a married lady than lilymaid. I believe I have been known by that name longer here than anywhere else, so it seemed the place to ask. Mr. Walden suggested my actual name in Cherokee, which is a good option.

And no, I'm not going to be lilymatron. :)
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

LILLYWIFE!

Post by Innocent Bystander »

In Scotland a female Lollipop man is called a Lollipop wife.
(A lollipop man is one who ushers schoolchildren across busy roads. He or she carries a large circular sign on a banded pole. It looks like a Lollipop. Hence the name.) This usage is really archaic English, as "wife" simply meant adult female. The usage is extended to other professions, such as "weather-wife".
There are good reasons for thinking that the term "maid" means a female who has not had issue. (Emphatically NOT one who had not "known" a man. ) So you COULD still be Lillymaid... ...but I think you have to be bold about this.

You must be LILLYWIFE!
Innocent Bystander

CONGRATULATIONS!

You look pretty cute to me, anyway.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Keep the name lilymaid. Congratulations! :party:
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Keep the name. And from now on put all your pictures into the cutie-pie thread. ;)
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

amar wrote:Keep the name. And from now on put all your pictures into the cutie-pie thread. ;)
Agreed.
I love the hair style.

Leave the name unless you want to change it.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Congratulations - clicking the photos took me to a site that offered an opportunity to rate them and report any adult content. I passed on both offers. I'm not sure I'd invite the general public to rate my wedding photos.

About the name- Lilymaid is very nice and didn't suggest an ambiguous status to me until I saw someone's comment and thought about it. I guess we're no longer living in the 12th century.

I've been married twice. Second wife kept her name. First wife changed her name and after a year decided it didn't feel right to her and changed it back. It seems that Massachusetts requires towns to do an annual census every Janaury and one use of this info is to update voter rolls. At the polls the following Sept. we discovered the town (northampton) had dropped her from the rolls because they had no record of a woman with her (maiden) name at that address. While they did not dispute that she was who she said she was and that she had properly registered and voted in the past at that address, they wouldn't let her vote because her name didn't match the name on the voters rolls (married name). We objected, got help from legal services, held up the vote count till midnight at which time the Sec. of State in Boston ordered the town to accept her ballot. The point of this is that while names are a personal choice, they have legal consequences and name changes can have weird unintended consequences.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

dwinterfield wrote:Congratulations - clicking the photos took me to a site that offered an opportunity to rate them and report any adult content. I passed on both offers. I'm not sure I'd invite the general public to rate my wedding photos.

About the name- Lilymaid is very nice and didn't suggest an ambiguous status to me until I saw someone's comment and thought about it. I guess we're no longer living in the 12th century.

I've been married twice. Second wife kept her name. First wife changed her name and after a year decided it didn't feel right to her and changed it back. It seems that Massachusetts requires towns to do an annual census every Janaury and one use of this info is to update voter rolls. At the polls the following Sept. we discovered the town (northampton) had dropped her from the rolls because they had no record of a woman with her (maiden) name at that address. While they did not dispute that she was who she said she was and that she had properly registered and voted in the past at that address, they wouldn't let her vote because her name didn't match the name on the voters rolls (married name). We objected, got help from legal services, held up the vote count till midnight at which time the Sec. of State in Boston ordered the town to accept her ballot. The point of this is that while names are a personal choice, they have legal consequences and name changes can have weird unintended consequences.
Yeah tell me about it...
Once I tried to change my name to Ramases-Niblick III Whoops-Kerplunk-Where's My Thribble.
....didn't last long. :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Lilymatron, you look lovely!
What are the groomsmen supposed to do with those claymores, keep
another man from running up and stealing you? Or, is it the Scottish
equivilent of a Shotgun wedding?
Innocent Bystander

Timecheck

We're not living in the twelfth century?????

Quick! What century is it???????
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The photos are really lovely. I like those dudes with the giant swords!

I don't think your name has to necessarily accurately describe everything about you. If you like lilymaid, stick with it. lilywife is definitely better than lilymatron though. But then, if you accurately change, you might have to consider lilymom. I think I'd stay right where I was :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jack

Post by Jack »

You're beautiful! :)

Congratulations! :) :party:

Jesus loves you!
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

It's nice to know everyone so far thinks I ought to keep my name. I haven't been able to come up with any alternative ideas, myslef, and I think changing names tends to cause confusion.
dwinterfield wrote: I'm not sure I'd invite the general public to rate my wedding photos.
Well, the other iamage hosting stie suggested to me was rather. . . nosy in terms of signing up. (I'm not big on giving out my real name, et cetera, to other folks, just so I can stick a photograph on a forum for a few minutes.) I made them clickable so the page wouldn't take as long to load in case someone either: A) doesn't really care about the pictures or B) has a stupid modem. I don't care much what the general public thinks of these anyhow. The formal ones were cooler. :)

Fearfaoin, the swordses are because my spouse has a funny sense of humor. Initially, he wanted the wedding to be "fancy dress". I didn't think that'd go over too well with our grandmothers, so I let him do a good many odd things to console himself. :)
Cynth wrote:But then, if you accurately change, you might have to consider lilymom.
I hope to avoid that for a good deal longer. :)
amar wrote:Keep the name. And from now on put all your pictures into the cutie-pie thread. ;)
Aw. :)
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks for posting pics and very best wishes to you, congrats to him. After all those hours chatting, I never had a clue what you looked like and yer very CP. Stick with the moniker or drop the Lily and go for something else prosaic...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I voted against changing it. Of course Image does have a nice ring to it.

Congratulations on the marriage, btw. I wish you long years of happiness together.
Reasonable person
Walden