Nice site for picking up tunes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lightheaded Mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Nice site for picking up tunes

Post by Lightheaded Mike »

I picked up a link to this site from thesession.org, and thought I'd share it here.

www.rileyirishmusic.com

It's an Irish Music school, and I have no affiliation with it.
I don't like learning tunes from midi's. And I don't get to learn tunes frequently enough at session the way nature intended :) . This site has lots of mp3 tunes arranged in sets of two, played at a fairly calm pace. The instrumentation varies nicely, too.
Does anyone else yell "hup" or some such tune change signal at their CD's? :lol:
Mike
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Nice site for picking up tunes

Post by Jon C. »

Lightheaded Mike wrote:I picked up a link to this site from thesession.org, and thought I'd share it here.

www.rileyirishmusic.com

It's an Irish Music school, and I have no affiliation with it.
I don't like learning tunes from midi's. And I don't get to learn tunes frequently enough at session the way nature intended :) . This site has lots of mp3 tunes arranged in sets of two, played at a fairly calm pace. The instrumentation varies nicely, too.
Does anyone else yell "hup" or some such tune change signal at their CD's? :lol:
Mike
Hi Mike,
Looks like a good site, thanks!

Ya, I woop also... :oops:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Here's another for you to try out:

http://faculty.ivytech.edu/~bpfingst/ss/ss.html

The recordings are about 50/50 flute and banjo, and there's usually a very slow version after the faster version (but even the fast version isn't too fast).

-Brett
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Thanks! I hadn't seen either of those websites before.

Here's another pretty nice one, although flute is just one of the instruments used:
http://irishwindow.com/wst_page7.html
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Lightheaded Mike wrote:Does anyone else yell "hup" or some such tune change signal at their CD's?
Sometimes, but I think I picked that up from Brock, who is one of the Riley school teachers. (Before that he was a student at the university here in A^2 who came over to my house for tunes every week. It was a sad day when he moved away.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

colomon wrote:
Lightheaded Mike wrote:Does anyone else yell "hup" or some such tune change signal at their CD's?
Sometimes, but I think I picked that up from Brock, who is one of the Riley school teachers. (Before that he was a student at the university here in A^2 who came over to my house for tunes every week. It was a sad day when he moved away.)
Heh-heh, we've got him now. :twisted:

Seriously, just saw him last month at a session, and he's getting amazing. He is indeed teaching at Riley now, along with a few other partners in fiddle-playing crime including Justin Bridges and "Man-Kilt Ken" Roberts.

I think the whole crew's threatening to descend on Augusta this summer.

FWIW, we've been "hupping" a coon's age down here in KY. Of course, we also yell 'turn the dogs loose!' occasionally, but that's another genre entirely. :-D
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

Cathy Wilde wrote:a coon's age
Does that mean "a long time"? Is it 100% politically correct?
steph_c

Post by steph_c »

Cathy Wilde wrote: Heh-heh, we've got him now. :twisted:

Seriously, just saw him last month at a session, and he's getting amazing. He is indeed teaching at Riley now, along with a few other partners in fiddle-playing crime including Justin Bridges and "Man-Kilt Ken" Roberts.

I think the whole crew's threatening to descend on Augusta this summer.
As well as St. Louis, Toronto, and East Durham muauahahaha!

Cheers,
A Fellow Locust
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Toronto? Is Brock coming up for the Chris Langan weekend?

And Cathy, we popped in and visited a session with Brock two weekends ago. Good stuff. Though it was really amusing (though thoughtful) that he kept starting tunes we played together five years ago -- problem being that at least half of them I hadn't played even once since he moved away!
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Jumbuk wrote:
Yep. it means a long time, and political correctness has little or nothing to do with most things. As my daddy used to say, 'Get over it," and "Life's too short to worry about such things." God rest his soul.

If a coon's age doesn't suit you, the how about "since who flunk the chunk," or to quote one of my college profs who was also a retired Marine, "since Christ was a corporal." I never much cared for that one, but there you go... Reminds me once again of Daddy's words when I got my feelings hurt. :)

Dang, I miss my daddy.

Well, I'm off to reminisce for a while about Daddy, simple wisdom, coon hounds and coon hunts and being a kid again.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Thanks, Mike, for the site! I'm up way too late grading papers and I tell myself I can at least learn a couple of tunes while I'm at it. These really sound quite nice, in addition to being slow enough to pick up and play with.

And Dow, now I miss my dad too. His birthday was yesterday and I didn't call. Darn the time zones anyway! :oops:

Jennie
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Ooops, sorry about that. Yes, a coon's age is indeed a raccoon's age. If you've ever seen a big boar raccoon ... yes, they can live a long time. (And they're amazingly tenacious as well. In fact, according to an apocryphal tale (dow can probably tell this more accurately than me) about some hunters who treed a particularly notorious specimen, the guys and their dogs were dead before the Masked Bandit ever came down!)

(Argh. If my aim doesn't get any better, the one who's been killing my chickens the last 5 years is going to live a long, long, long time himself. :boggle:)

Colomon, holler next time you're in the neighborhood. We'll come up!

And hello steph_c ! Nice to meet you, and hope to play with y'all more often. You guys are doing great things; hardly a plague at all ;-)!

Sympathies about your dad, Dow. February 21 marked five years without my mom, and oh how I miss her.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Sympathies about your dad, Dow. February 21 marked five years without my mom, and oh how I miss her.
Thanks Cat. We lost him on Jan 1, 1990, so it's been a good while, but the good memories never really fade. They just hide in the recesses of your mind and wait for a time to be savored again. :)

Jennie, yoiu give your dad a call. You'll both be better for it.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
colomon

Post by colomon »

Cathy Wilde wrote:And hello steph_c ! Nice to meet you, and hope to play with y'all more often. You guys are doing great things; hardly a plague at all ;-)!
I dunno, doesn't matter how much you buy in advance, when she shows up all the bacon mysteriously disappears from the house! ;)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

dow wrote:
Jumbuk wrote:
Yep. it means a long time, and political correctness has little or nothing to do with most things.
Means the same thing as a cat's age. I like this one better because of cats' reputations for nine lives. A blue moon is another, but that's not really a very long time.

One of my favorite southern expressions is "useless as tits on a boar hog." It's definitely non-PC, but it's a useful and effective expression. More useful than tits on a boar hog, anyway.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.