What's your whistle that gets the most session play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jon-M
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jon-M »

Well, Bloomfield put me on to Humphreys and now I'm a confirmed fan.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

My Burke DBSBT, and my Howard Low D

But then, they are my best whistles for now. Until I get good enough that the whistle matters as much or more than my playing, it's a questionable recommendation though. :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

Hi all!

It would have to be my Rose Blackwood high D for higher, more delicate tunes and Colin Goldie Overton modal D/C for louder sets. Harper alto G and Colin Goldie Overton low D (short stretch) for lower pitch.

I have to admit though.... I am a piano accordion player the rest of the time... eek!!

Barry
StewySmoot

Re: What's your whistle that gets the most session play?

Post by StewySmoot »

peeplj wrote:Even though I have a drawer full of various whistles, up until very recently I've pretty much played just the Burkes at session.

I didn't thing anything was likely to change that, but the last couple of sessions I've played my O'Brien. It's hard to choose anything over a Burke, but the O'Brien is just really that good.

And that got me curious: what's your whistle(s) that get the most session play?

In folks I've played with, on the expensive side, I've seen several Burkes, a couple of Copelands, an Abell or two, several O'Riordans, a Sindt, and a couple of Sweets. On the inexpensive side, Oaks seem to dominate for session play; every blue moon someone will show up with a Generation.

I've never actually ran across anyone playing Overtons or Chieftains yet, which is sort of odd, considering how many posts online center around these makes of whistle.

--James
I will bring a set of Chieftains and other Kerry whistles with me for the St. Patty's Day weekend sweep. I will bring a Busman and a Freeman too. Each will be played appropriately.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
billw

Post by billw »

A 3-way tie:

Busman ebony sop D
Serpent Polly sop D (old model non-tunable, metallic blue)
Serpent Viper sop D

It would likely be a Village Smithy, but I can't seem to keep one for me.

Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

billw wrote:It would likely be a Village Smithy, but I can't seem to keep one for me.
That's like being a cobbler with worn shoes... :poke:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.